• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

Personal experience: Central Iowa and (most of) Wisconsin
Observations, but no personal experience: NC or DFW

I think he means that most of the DG d-bags hang out at the shorter, less challenging courses. You're not likely to find such d-bags at epic bomber courses or super hard technical courses.
However, in my experience, that isn't all together true. Just like bad people can go into nice neighborhoods to rob you. D-bags can go to nice courses to annoy you...

TEXAS is the only correct answer.
1) Plenty of tech jobs in Austin, DFW, and Houston
2) Best economy throughout the entire US
3) Wide range of town sizes from tiny to medium to massive, just choose your traffic preference
4) More courses than you can count, and the numbers 1 and 2 ranked courses on this site
5) Tourneys and leagues everywhere, (Ex:Nacogdoches, pop. 34,000, has a thriving league/tourney scene)
6) Real sports teams, college and pro
7) Plus its the only state that has been and still could be its own country

Set your course distance parameter at 7,000 ft minimum. That should take care of most of them. Looking for the private and pay courses amongst the results should take care of the rest.

Very clever.

I really think you should consider more than just disc golf when choosing where to move. It also depends on the part of the state you choose to live in how the disc golf scene is. I'd say Southern Cali is a good choice.

TEXAS is the only correct answer.
1) Plenty of tech jobs in Austin, DFW, and Houston
2) Best economy throughout the entire US
3) Wide range of town sizes from tiny to medium to massive, just choose your traffic preference
4) More courses than you can count, and the numbers 1 and 2 ranked courses on this site
5) Tourneys and leagues everywhere, (Ex:Nacogdoches, pop. 34,000, has a thriving league/tourney scene)
6) Real sports teams, college and pro
7) Plus its the only state that has been and still could be its own country

This whole list and you don't mention BBQ or Shiner?

I live in NE Ohio and after visiting Charlotte, I really want to re-locate. I didn't even have time to check out all the courses I wanted but still had a blast. Had some brisket enchiladas that were amazing too, and sampled some good beers.

I live in NE Ohio and after visiting Charlotte, I really want to re-locate. I didn't even have time to check out all the courses I wanted but still had a blast. Had some brisket enchiladas that were amazing too, and sampled some good beers.

From your profile you've only played one of the hardest (Renny) and one of the most enjoyable/fun (Plantation Ruins) courses in Charlotte; try the other 14 in a 10-mile radius or the other 40+ in a 35-mile radius (20+ are 3.5+ DGCR rated). Come on down to Charlotte and reinforce your re-location opinion. BBQ is one of the best, but probably open to more debate than good DG.

I'm originally from the east but I've lived the mountains of Colorado for the last 5 years and I must say its a wonderful place to live. I understand you might not enjoy the winters, but the summers are the best. Never gets over 90 and 0 percent humidity. I've met a lot of people out here from flat parts of the country, and they can't believe the elevation change most courses offer. And if you head to the front rage(the Denver area) you can play through the winter. Plus if your into it weeds legal!

I was just up in Denver for that little beer festival you guys have. GABF. Didn't get to play any courses as I was somewhat busy representing a brewery.(drinking heavily) As a first timers impression... You folks have a seriously fun town. Lots of great bars and relatively easy navigation. Had a blast. That is a truly great area that you rarely hear much about.

Truth is, I did bring discs. After reading the reviews on the courses within walking distance, I didn't try too hard to make time.

I've traveled to lots of places, it's really hard to beat the Charlotte area if you're making the decision on weather and disc golf. Many other areas with great weather year round aren't as concentrated of disc golf hot spots, and many other great disc golf areas have the winters you're trying to avoid.

Would love to say that the greater NYC metro area is the best place ... but it's a toss up:

Disc Golf Advantages:
1. Top five course in the nation is 45 minutes from the city (Warwick Town Park)
2. Quality courses and tournaments are 1-3 hours away in PA, CT, NJ, DE, and MA
3. Extremely strong regional organization in NEFA with great local groups out of Warwick (Skylands), Cranbury (Norwalk - my home), Hartford (Wickham crew), and Mass (Maple Hill et al).

Real Life Disadvantages:
1. One of the highest costs and standards of living in the nation
2. High traffic volume
3. NYC itself is definitely NOT a disc golf city
4. Winters can be harsh but aren't brutal. Most storms don't drop FEET of snow.
5. Summers can be harsh but aren't brutal. We don't get the combined heat/humidity like the south, but it does get hot.

Man, after reading this post, this sounds more like an area I would rather move AWAY from if I wanted to have a better than average DG scene.

All other arguments are invalid!!! CALIFORNIA JA THE PLACE YOU OUGHTTA BE, So load up that truck and move to Beverly, hills that is!!! Cali has YEAR ROUND PERFECT WEATHER AND PERFECT COURSES. Love it in SoCal but disc golf is Mecca all the way up the coast

^ Please don't let this guy be your only impression of California. He's making us all look bad.

But in all honesty Cali is terrible. You probably want to stay as far away from here as possible.

All other arguments are invalid!!! CALIFORNIA JA THE PLACE YOU OUGHTTA BE, So load up that truck and move to Beverly, hills that is!!! Cali has YEAR ROUND PERFECT WEATHER AND PERFECT COURSES. Love it in SoCal but disc golf is Mecca all the way up the coast

Not disagreeing with you ... but if you grow up in this region like I did, you tend to find yourself returning due to family more than anything.

I live in Norwalk, CT and less than 5 minutes from Cranbury Park, which is a fantastic course. My wife's family grew up in West Hartford, CT and mine in Rockland County, NY. It was tough to not return here after college (and I wasn't discing at that time - about 1999).

And please don't misunderstand, the greater metro NYC area may not have the quantity of courses other regions have, but we make up for it (as I said) with several truly dedicated local groups who run multiple ice bowls throughout the winter, multiple PDGA events from April to November, weekly leagues, weekend leagues. NEFA is (IMO) on par with the Southern Nationals, it runs events every weekend from Maine to New Jersey, we have had several A-Tiers at Cranbury and Wickham ... the best NT in the nation at Maple Hill.

You're not going to miss out on disc golf in this region. It's just going to take a bit of effort.

And oh yeah, depending on where you settle, you're no more than two hours from Boston, NYC, or Philly. Three of the greatest cities in the nation for culture, sports, etc.

Not disagreeing with you ... but if you grow up in this region like I did, you tend to find yourself returning due to family more than anything.

I live in Norwalk, CT and less than 5 minutes from Cranbury Park, which is a fantastic course. My wife's family grew up in West Hartford, CT and mine in Rockland County, NY. It was tough to not return here after college (and I wasn't discing at that time - about 1999).

And please don't misunderstand, the greater metro NYC area may not have the quantity of courses other regions have, but we make up for it (as I said) with several truly dedicated local groups who run multiple ice bowls throughout the winter, multiple PDGA events from April to November, weekly leagues, weekend leagues. NEFA is (IMO) on par with the Southern Nationals, it runs events every weekend from Maine to New Jersey, we have had several A-Tiers at Cranbury and Wickham ... arguably the best NT in the nation at Maple Hill.

You're not going to miss out on disc golf in this region. It's just going to take a bit of effort.

And oh yeah, depending on where you settle, you're no more than two hours from Boston, NYC, or Philly. Three of the greatest cities in the nation for culture, sports, etc.

Plenty of pros consider the Beaver State Fling the biggest NT of the year. Source, their Facebook posts and talk at the tournament itself. Although obviously the Vibram Open could probably make just as strong of a case for itself.

Would love to say that the greater NYC metro area is the best place ... but it's a toss up:

Disc Golf Advantages:
1. Top five course in the nation is 45 minutes from the city (Warwick Town Park)
2. Quality courses and tournaments are 1-3 hours away in PA, CT, NJ, DE, and MA
3. Extremely strong regional organization in NEFA with great local groups out of Warwick (Skylands), Cranbury (Norwalk - my home), Hartford (Wickham crew), and Mass (Maple Hill et al).

Real Life Disadvantages:
1. One of the highest costs and standards of living in the nation
2. High traffic volume
3. NYC itself is definitely NOT a disc golf city
4. Winters can be harsh but aren't brutal. Most storms don't drop FEET of snow.
5. Summers can be harsh but aren't brutal. We don't get the combined heat/humidity like the south, but it does get hot.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, but if I claim everything within a 1-3 hour radius, Newberry, South Carolina is in contention.

Not to be argumentative, Warwick may be a great course but I don't think it's listed in the "Top Five".

I've never included Indy. Let me know when you find the best ZIP code, and I'll add it.

meccas-2013-08-02_zpse6f78d6f.jpg

Houston has a lot of courses, but not as many "top" courses. From downtown (77002) there are 37 courses. 2 4s and 2 3.75. But one of the 4s only has 3 reviews. If you go a little further out from downtown, you pick up some more higher rated courses.

I think California, Texas, and North Carolina are all places to consider if you are trying to get away from the truly harsh winters. Having lived in Michigan, I know just how miserable the winters can be, and then it's too muddy for months afterwards as the snow melts. Having grown up in GA, which is about 5 hours south of NC, I would say the winters are still too cold much of the time for me to be outside in it, but I get sick easily from cold weather. I can only imagine NC gets even colder or at least just as cold. I've visited California on business and it just seems so crowded to me. I will never go back if I have a choice. Maybe its something you can get used to but I felt like we were packed in like sardines and the lines are long everywhere.

So Texas is the place I prefer right now. It does get hot enough in the summer that you have to pick and choose your time of day to play golf, but you're not stuck inside all day every day like in a miserable winter, and Texas even gets temps in the 60s and 70s at times in January and February. But it is going to have to be an individual personal preference call.

I have visited Portland a few times and it seems nice to me. That's a place I might choose to go if I had to leave TX.

If you're looking for great weather and love to throw hyzers, it's hard to beat Arizona.

Latest posts