• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

Just did this for Indy, saw a new campground course, 9 holes, no pads, with a 4 rating. Think I need to go investigate...

Hey Grunge, I just ran Cincinnati, but set it at 3.5 & up, and 5+ reviews. It gave me Mt. Airy, Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Osage Grove & Monroe. So that's where I'd personally set the bar. Of course, I'm willing to travel, and might go out to a 50 mile radius... or 100 miles (there are 25 qualified out to there! :D )

Last edited:
Just did this for Indy, saw a new campground course, 9 holes, no pads, with a 4 rating. Think I need to go investigate...

I've never included Indy. Let me know when you find the best ZIP code, and I'll add it.

meccas-2013-08-02_zpse6f78d6f.jpg

The Monterey Bay area in California has a lot of great courses. Hosted the 2011 World Championships at Pinto Lake, Ryan Ranch, CSUMB Oaks, and Delaveaga. They are all withing 45 minutes of each other. Plus Golden Gate Park in San Francisco is only a couple hours north in San Francisco which is fun, and Heilmann Park in Atascadero is an extremely fun course as well. There are a few local clubs that are great with upkeep and reaching out to new players or out of towners.

01602, Worcester MA
16 3.5 Star reviews
7 4.0 Star reviews
25 total courses with in 35 miles

For the list above:
01602 Worcester MA - 25 mile radius
7 at 3.75+ (with 5+ reviews)
3 at 4.00+ (with 5+ reviews)
20 courses

(The list reflects actual decimal rating, thus only 3 at 4.00+, not 7.)

Of the places I have lived, I would go for Cincy. A lot of good disc golf there; cool city too. Of course, I have only lived in Ohio and Indiana.

I'm originally from the east but I've lived the mountains of Colorado for the last 5 years and I must say its a wonderful place to live. I understand you might not enjoy the winters, but the summers are the best. Never gets over 90 and 0 percent humidity. I've met a lot of people out here from flat parts of the country, and they can't believe the elevation change most courses offer. And if you head to the front rage(the Denver area) you can play through the winter. Plus if your into it weeds legal!

...If a city has 60 courses, are you really going to play them all?..

Everybody who would NOT play them all, raise your hand. No one? Thought not.

To the OP: Unlike SD, most states have special places at the edges of the vast empty areas. These places have concentrations of things like people, buildings, and disc golf courses. So, look for a single spot to move to, not a whole state. You could move to the wrong part of any state and find you have almost no disc golf opportunities.

Within 50 miles of West Chester PA:

Camp Sankanac
Iron Hill
Nockamixon
Tyler
Jordan Creek
South Hills

Expand the search a little more and you get a bunch more hits. That's one course in the top 10, and 4 more that should be in the top 20.

Last edited:
Everybody who would NOT play them all, raise your hand. No one? Thought not.

To the OP: Unlike SD, most states have special places at the edges of the vast empty areas. These places have concentrations of things like people, buildings, and disc golf courses. So, look for a single spot to move to, not a whole state. You could move to the wrong part of any state and find you have almost no disc golf opportunities.

To the first point, well, I should have been more precise. I might play all of them once or twice....but after that, I'd likely only play the ones I like, most of the time. As a reason for moving to a place, or staying there, the bottom 40 wouldn't affect my feelings at all.

To the second point, well said, I think virtually all of the replies here have been about touting a city, not a state.

Would love to say that the greater NYC metro area is the best place ... but it's a toss up:

Disc Golf Advantages:
1. Top five course in the nation is 45 minutes from the city (Warwick Town Park)
2. Quality courses and tournaments are 1-3 hours away in PA, CT, NJ, DE, and MA
3. Extremely strong regional organization in NEFA with great local groups out of Warwick (Skylands), Cranbury (Norwalk - my home), Hartford (Wickham crew), and Mass (Maple Hill et al).

Real Life Disadvantages:
1. One of the highest costs and standards of living in the nation
2. High traffic volume
3. NYC itself is definitely NOT a disc golf city
4. Winters can be harsh but aren't brutal. Most storms don't drop FEET of snow.
5. Summers can be harsh but aren't brutal. We don't get the combined heat/humidity like the south, but it does get hot.

Dude. I moved from northern ohio, flat ground and horrible winters. Virginia has warm, but not too warm weather, and outdoor activities galore. Ocean, mountains, and TONS of history. I chose to move here out of every state in the country.

true. Lots of disc golf events to choose from. I just played my 37th PDGA event of the year and I have left the state 7 times. There are also many leagues, monthlies and doubles events that go on all over this state. Some weekends we have two PDGA events going on at the same time.

Having spent plenty of time in Texas I have to say that the only time I want to be there is the winter as playing in 100+ degrees is foolish. As a city, Austin is nice and I have very little to say about the DFW clusterfunk.

Western Pa has several good courses within a reasonable drive.
Minneapolis is a great city but winter there is no joke.

Can somebody do a search for nice coursees with low dbag ratio?

Not mentioned so far. Tampa. A bunch of courses and a few reportedly good ones. Not the disc golf city charlotte is but more liveable in most other ways. Fun city.

And though ive barely been there and havent played there. Mobile. Or pensacola. Lot of dots in that area and great coastal weather

Can somebody do a search for nice coursees with low dbag ratio?
Set your course distance parameter at 7,000 ft minimum. That should take care of most of them. Looking for the private and pay courses amongst the results should take care of the rest.

Set your course distance parameter at 7,000 ft minimum. That should take care of most of them. Looking for the private and pay courses amongst the results should take care of the rest.

meaning?