• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

If you move to NC you might run into me. And you wouldn't want that because I pants nerds and drop their books. *repeatedly punches his palm*

I asked the same question not long ago. Didn't end up moving ... that's a different story.

I came up with Iowa and Texas. Iowa has Quad Cities and Des Moines; Texas I was looking at DFW. I didn't put a whole lot of effort into breaking down numbers or anything. Just the three places that didn't sound like they'd suck.

I currently live in NC & lived in DFW for a short time. I can confidently say screw Texas. The weather is miserable. In NC you will have to deal with some high temps & humidity in the summer, but it's not unbearable. Plus with NC, if it's hot, go to the mountains, they're a short drive away, as is the coast. Absolutely nothing is close in Texas.

1045109_477723958980995_1767191134_n.jpg

4char

The only good city in texas is Austin. Everything else sucks :|.

The only thing I haven't enjoyed about Austin is the traffic. It just seems so congested. But maybe if I lived there and learned the streets and traffic patterns, instead of trying to use my GPS to go everywhere, it would be different. What do you think?

Since weather is being discussed so much, I'll repost this from Nov 2012. The course numbers have changed a little bit since then, but it's close. The "Climate Index" is a formula I made up, based on the numbers given (90-degree days, precip days, snow, wind, etc.).

mecca-climate.jpg

My grand opinion.

My experiance in Dallas is that the golf scene and courses are great. Lots of work available and housing is affordable. Gets way to hot in the summer but you can play year round. Problem is I think the golf scene is so good because of the lack of other great things to do. You arn't too far from Austin or Houston and that is good for golf and tournaments, but you are really far from any really great places if you like to travel. I lived in this area most of my life would never move back after living to Colorado.

If I had to be in Texas, Austin is great, fun stuff to do, great courses and great scene in general but you are stuck in the middle of Texas and the only work that I know of is for the College, government or Dell and I belive the housing costs are higher than Dallas metro. Traffic is bad, but locals know how to get around.

Sothern California, lived there a long time ago and wouldn't move back. Traffic, smog, the general attitude sucks, but you got great weather and lots of fun stuff to do other than golf. Move to the coast and take up surfing and put golf on the back burner. Probably lots of work but way to expensive. How bad do you want to wear shorts year round?

I was born in North Carolina but moved at 6 months old and have yet to go back. I really wanted to go to worlds last year but life said no.

I'm also desperate to take a trip to Portland but I've got to wait till the kids are older.

Colorado! I love this place. Great if you like to travel/ road trip, bike, raft, climb, snowboard, hike but the golf scene isn't top notch. I suspect it is due to all the other fun stuff. I live in a little mountain town 50 miles from the nearest Walmart, but I'm married with two kids and work from home, wouldn't have come here prior to all that. The weather is great, even the cold with 2' of snow on the ground isn't that cold due to low moisture and being that much closer to the sun at 7,000'. I can't golf in the winter but I can take weekend trips to New Mexico or Arizona if I'm desperate.

I really think the best answers are Austin or Denver

First off, Austin has such a bitchin' cultural and social scene. Not to mention UT's campus, which by all accounts is home to the most beautiful women in the world. Throw in TWO world class music festivals and arguably the hottest music scene in the country, combined with 37 disc golf courses (Houck and Olse designs) and things are looking good. The disadvantage is that once you get outside of Austin, you are in Texas.

Ever take a walk through Arizona State's campus? Yoinks...

San Diego, CA!!!!!!! World famous Morley Field DGC, beaches, surfing, fishing, diving, mountains 60 minutes away, desert 90 minutes away, Comic-Con, San Diego State, UCSD, USD, Torrey Pines, pro football team, pro baseball team, no snow, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, the micro brew leader in the US and the most beautiful women in summer clothes all year long.

DFW is no doubt the best area to live. There are over 60 courses within an hour. Usually, 1-2 sanctioned tournaments a week, a mini every day of the week somewhere in DFW. Multiple disc companies located in DFW, Hyzerbomb, Straightline, DiscgolfStation, the new DD store in Lewisville.

I don't understand why people think there is no traveling in DFW. You are only two hours away from Selah Ranch (and the new two courses being built by Houck right by there). I live right on I35. I can go 3 hours to OKC, an hour an a half to Waco, 3 hours to Austin.

Want to talk about things to do? Try living in Arlington, Cowboys, Rangers, 6 flags over Texas(amusement park), Hurricane harbor( waterpark) all on the same block.

The cost of living is cheap, with so many job opportunities. I saw someone say California, the cost of living there is terrible.

The weather is too hot? I would rather play year around then take 4 months off up North.

Yeah, all this home boosterism hasn't swayed me. I've got

---Terrific weather (to my tastes) for year-round disc golf
---No traffic congestion (our town has a traffic light, and perhaps could use a 2nd one).
---A 4.3 rated course with three different layouts within walking distance
---Three other 3.5+ courses within 45 minutes.
---A total of 41 courses within an hour
---A bunch of very-highly-regarded, almost famous, courses within two hours.
---Organized local play nearby 5 days a week
---A very crowded tournament schedule.

Might as well join the silliness and claim to be the best place for a disc golfer to live, too.

Last edited:
But to the OP, Charlotte may well seem like big city living. Charlotte is the perfect city size IMO - has everything you want/need....just not 10 of everything like NYC, LA or Chicago.

I come from a town of 900, anything is big city living.. also thanks all for the suggestions. I planned on making a trip out to Oregon this spring to check it out, but I want to check out NC now too

LOL at New York City. Wtf????