• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to throw at night

Nathanbr2

Birdie Member
Me and a friend are looking to start throwing some at night, looking to get some suggestions on what discs to get for this purpose. As a side note, we both only own 1 clear disc (innova champion line) the would work with LED lights.

I have a Z Glo Buzzz (I bring an LED light to keep it lit) and one of the best things I've found to do with night disc is to buy the glow sticks for fishing lures or lines, they're small and don't effect the flight of your disc (cheapest place to get these are WalMart) and use packaging tape to stick them under a champ or Z disc, usually two is all it takes. They last all night if your arm is fresh.

I've played a few rounds of glow with both glow discs and LED lights - the LED lights are typically easier to find than the glow discs honestly. I found the lights to affect my disc flight though, and if they hit a tree they tend to fall off.

I've heard putting a blacklight bulb/black bulb in your flashlight is more effective at "charging" the glow discs though. I haven't tried it yet.

I would just say play when there's a good bit of moonlight and make sure you're good at spotting/finding discs or you'll end up losing them.

Just get glo discs, screw the LED thing. Buy a glo Buzzz or roc and a glo driver. When I play at night, I just carry my small bag with my LED light on the whole time inside the bag, charging the discs up.

Star plastic in neon green and yellow practically glow on their own.

Get a glow Stalker and a glow Buzzz if you want to go glow plastic. Innova makes some Glow CFR destroyers Wraiths Xcals and Orcs but the glow plastic on the orc is terrible and dim. Innova makes several molds of DX glow plastic (Aviar, Roc, Eagle, Teebird) but I find that it doesn't hold a charge as well at the higher quality plastics but it works well enough to find your disc. Gateway makes a glow Wizard but I usually don't see the point of using a light or glow putter if you are that close to the basket, unless the basket is on a hill or something. Generally someone just puts a flashlight under the basket when we get close. I personally use 6 of the LED fishing bobber lights (disc lights) and use clear duct tape on the top of the disc if they are not Z or champion plastic or on the bottom if they are. I put them in the center of the disc and I generally don't notice a huge difference. I tape them on a special way to make sure they don't come off

1. Make sure the surface is clean and dry the disc is at room temperature when you tape the lights on.

2. Take a light and put it about 1/2 an inch or so in from the end of a piece of tape about 4 inches long tape and fold the edge over the bottom of the light so the tape wraps around the light and holds it on tight. Then take this piece of tape with the light and place it so that the light is in the center of the disc.

3. Take another piece of tape about 4-6 inches long and place it so that it overlaps most of the first piece of tape

I have found this method very effective and have never had a light come off of the disc.

I've personally used the small glow sticks, led lights with batteries, and glo discs. Personally, I think the worst of all of those are the small glow sticks, they just aren't bright enough for me to spot them once they've landed. Glo discs are better, but like others have said, you have to charge them up and I still think they're sometimes hard to find. So, obviously I like the led lights the best. The startup cost is like 20 bucks or so, depending on how many disc you want to light up. The batteries are the only really cost, as the leds are pretty cheap. If you guys are just looking to have fun, not worry about shooting your best round ever, you can tape the lights on top of the discs without it messing with the path TOO much. Also, the biggest advantage I've found is you can get multi-color blinking leds for cheap as well, which are super easy to see since they're constantly changing.

Check out Radio-Shack, that's where I got my batteries and LED's.

I use a neon yellow champ beast. i then tape (clear duck or packing) a small glow stick that fits inside of a birdie for bad mittion. i found mine at Dick's Sporting goods. I bend them, then shake them, placing the glow stick on the bottom of the disc while pressing a single layer of tape around it firmly pressing the tape down and checking it every few holes to make sure it is holding. The disc flies very true and the single light really keeps the champ bright and easy to find. hope this helps.

blessings.

When I went to Oregon Park I saw that some holes had those garden lights that run off solar power. I've never actually played with these, but it looked like a good idea as long as it was a sunny day.

I found a pack of 25 LEDs on ebay for like $3.99. I bought blue because they are the brightest I think. I believe they were 12000 MCD, I have no idea what that means, but the higher the number the brighter. Then I just bought some flat batteries, the ones that are the size of a nickel or quarter. Used them on Champion and light color star and pro plastics. They are pretty light so you can put them on top and bottom if you want.

Innova Glow sucks.

Discraft and Gateway Glow are the best of the glow, but I find the fishing lure glow sticks and clear 3M Duct tape works really, really well. The LEDs work better, but they're more expensive.

If you do use glow discs, get a UV flashlight for charging them (minimum of 9 LED, but more is better).

The small cap-brim clip-on 3 LED lights from WalMart work really well for finding your way around the course and into the rough without blinding everyone else in the neighborhood.

Hang a glow stick on your bag, too, so if you set it down you can still find it later and you won't trip over it or forget to pick it up :). Glow bracelets or necklaces are good for all the players so no one gets hit in the dark.

glows one of te best aspects of the sport.. its my avorite time of year is when we can play glow... yeah the leds woek good but ive found that if you hit a tree hard enough nomatter how you put the lights on they can come off... i use glow plates but if you spend to much time looking for some1 elses drive your charge can stop glowing... and glow discs are very hard to find in the snow... id say it depends on what conditions your playing in.... but nomatter the condition its the shiznit to watch glowing discs sail through the woods

The steady edy glo fly seems to be the best glowy I have found.Charge it with a black light and it glows all night long.If it glows that good who cares how it flies.For a driver i use any see thru candy-champion plastic.I suggest using small pieces of duct tape to keep a skinny 8 inch glow stick on the bottom.Packaging tape tends to fall off if you wack a tree,or if it gets wet from grass dew.After the round be sure to take the duct tape off or you will have alot of sticky residue.

I play with a superglow wizard and Tee-bird, both charge very well with UV light. I also use cheap solar lights for the baskets. I bought a 9 pack for 20 bucks from Biglots, I don't put the lights together, just use the solar tops with light. I find this helps when trying to see the basket on the drive. They are so cheap that I was thinking of just leaving them on the top of the baskets for others to use. They don't provide a ton of light, but enough so that you know where to aim.

Glow Disc vs. LED Light

The LED Light is the way to go. If you buy the Innova one you'll be all set. I use an Innova Clear Champion Orc and it's fantastic. I've played at night in deep woods and the disc shines. I have never had the light fall out and I have only had it turn off once or twice. If you slam a tree it might turn off, but other than that I haven't had any problems. It does cause you to ruin the disc by punching a hole through it, but it doesn't mess with the flight too much (but you're also not going for a top score since it is at night anyway)! I drilled my hole with a drill bit to make it a little smaller than the kit recommended. If you do that you can get a much tighter fit on the nipple-style light.

Good luck and have fun. One of my best rounds at my home course was at night. I guess I wasn't as worried about which disc to throw and I just relaxed. It's always a really fun time.

Latest posts