• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost a disc by leaving it at your feet?

Lose more by walking away than throwing them away. Usually when I have to stick a foot deep into a bush, then make a terrific or awful shot. Sometimes alcohol or recreational leaves are part of the problem :rolleyes:.....sometimes not. :eek:

Yeah, the number of times I left discs behind in the low boughs of spruce trees... I'll throw and get myself out of the prickly mess and forget to look behind me. It's usually off a drive I end up there, so by next hole or two I'll notice I'm short my driver.

Still haven't left one behind for someone else to find, but I feel it's just a matter of time.

Sometimes alcohol or recreational leaves are part of the problem :rolleyes:.....sometimes not. :eek:

Viceless bastard that I am, I have no choice but to hold the idjit in the mirror responsible. :eek:

Never gonna let him use my bag again. :|

Yes, Ive done this many times and I see it happen all the time.

It happens right after I make a very good throw or a very bad throw.

I now count discs after every hole.

Having a small bag helps alleviate this problem immensely, though I've also had to backtrack a hole or two when throwing from the shale and using the drive disc as a marker.

On the course, I'm usually with a group so not much chance for throwing multiples.

When practicing it happens occasionally. I grab a handful of discs, head out back and throw. I keep telling myself to count the discs BEFORE I start. I've found more than a few discs in my field and think—I didn't know I had lost that one.

I've done that many times but it's mostly when I'm playing a casual around by myself and I throw two off the tee just for fun or because my first drive wasn't so great.

I'll walk to my closer/better drive and occasionally forget to go grab the first disc.. or like, ya know, grab the crappier drive on the way to my better drive.

Oof. Y'all, I've lost two 1991 2-Chain Aviars by this kind of carelessness.

First one was sherbet orange, and I'd had since it was manufactured. Kept it from then until roughly 2018 - I can't remember exactly, as I've tried to block it out. But it was fall or winter, and I had stuck it under my armpit as we were all shaking hands at the end of the round - it just sliiiiipped on out, and I didn't even notice it was gone until a week later. Its loss caused many months of experimenting with different putters. I landed on Envys, and still carry several.

I told the story in here somewhere months ago: while warming up at the practice basket at Nevin (with a stack of Envys) back in 2020, me and a stranger got to talking about putters, as people tend to do when they're, you know, standing around a practice basket, and when he noticed my putters, I mentioned my journey after losing the OG 2-Chains. Long story short, his buddy showed up with a red one a little later, and I was able to purchase it from him. He had found the thing, and hated it, and had no trouble making $20 in this way. I've been using it as my main putter ever since.

Well, just last week, we were throwing on our usual Wednesday night party-round, and...I just left it somewhere. The bitch of it is that I can't even remember throwing the thing. We were playing dubs, and my partner and I kept parking our upshots. But somehow, I left it or dropped it...

So that's two very valuable (to me, as useful tools of the trade; and to many others as premium artifacts) frisbees I lost in the span of a few years. I'd be totally fine if they went into a lake or something, but to be so unaware and clueless makes me feel like a world-class idjit. Don't feel bad, OP. It happens to best and worst of us. :D

I have also lost exactly two Chains Aviars by leaving them in baskets, but it was back in the nineties when I left them. One was a black one with a very vivid rainbow stamp. I think about that one all the time still!

I have also lost exactly two Chains Aviars by leaving them in baskets, but it was back in the nineties when I left them. One was a black one with a very vivid rainbow stamp. I think about that one all the time still!

Brothers in self-inflicted pain, eh? I had a black one with a rainbow stamp, too. It was my very first putter. Lost it at Hornet's Nest by floating over the basket and into the pond behind #5. It's probably still there, buried under nearly 30 years of mud and silt and frog dung...
Had to go to Infinity's End to get a new one, which ended up being the orange one I mentioned earlier. (So technically, I've lost three. But at least the black one was an actual throw, and I hadn't owned it for almost three decades.) :eek:

I too am guilty of this, sometimes more than once in a round.

I too am guilty of many of the stories told here, I most commonly lose discs by leaving them rather than throwing them.
Luckily I have learned my lesson and now have the following rules:

1) Error: throw 2 drives, forget to pick up the 2nd. Solution: ALWAYS pick up the 2nd disc first no matter how out of the way. Dont throw more than 2 discs. If I do get lazy and dont pick up the extra - Never throw multiple shots when there are still discs from a previous throw I havent picked up yet.

2) Error: grab 2 discs while choosing which to throw, drop one on the ground, throw the other, totally forget about the dropped disc. Solution: always stick the non-used disc back in the to of bag

3) Error: use a putter for dog water bowl before teeing off, leave the putter behind after teeing off. Solution: Always set my bag right next to the water putter so I see it when I grab my bag

4) Error: drive lands in bush/brush - I throw from there and forget to pickup the hidden disc. Solution: Always set the disc on top of the brushy stuff so I see it in the corner of my eye before walking away.

Luckily the disc gold gods have shown me favor and when I lose a disc I usually find a disc. Then again, whenever I find a disc I know I probably have lost one that I didnt realize, or will lose one soon.

I'm totally guilty of this.

I religiously count discs every 2 or 3 holes.

I used to do this, but then I had kids. Where as I used to count discs on my way to the next tee, that no longer makes sense. My boys generally only carry 2-3 discs each, but they alternately store them in my bag or hand carry. They'll also use my discs from time to time. Much harder to do the quick count against a moving target. I also need to be paying attention as the first to the tee will likely throw right away if clear. I need to be watching where that disc is heading.

I just got back a much loved Roc that was lost this way back in 2014ish. I was distracted by the kids and didn't realize I left without it. The Roc was my first two color dye and was very recognizable. A buddy spotted it in a facebook lost and found post and since he knew the poster, got it back for me.

i've done this plenty of times but i feel stupider when i leave my putter in the basket and walk away. and even stupider when it's on hole 18.

I've left a disc in the basket twice, a year apart in the same basket. The first time after dropping a birdie in the basket passing thru branches untouched from 180 feet out. As I was passing the tree I was walking backwards to admire the line and kept walking right past the basket turning around to the next tee. Didn't miss the disc until 7 holes later.

The 2nd time a year later and same basket I decided to practice wind putting from C2 with a handful of disc. I only made one, picked up the rest on the grass, and left behind the made putt. I noticed it missing 2 holes later when I scored my first ace when I put the aced disc back in the bag. Mixed emotions jubilee and the agony of forgetting the disc. Both discs were still in the basket.

As far as a disc left behind at my feet, the closes was this past Monday, on the home course 18th fairway I like to throw a handful of disc to close out the visit. The fairway is always cut and open, you shouldn't lose a disc. Picked up my discs and had one missing, stood up looked around and didn't see it, wtf how hard is it to see an orange catalyst. Walked around a bit, a jogger pointed toward my bag and there it was just a few feet away from the bag. It would of been behind and almost under me, but the angle I was looking around on would of kept it from my view. The jogger must of thought I was blind, I felt stupid.

I did this again today. Drove long, C2 putt, walked away from my disc. :doh:

I didn't read the thread besides OP, yes 100%.

Forced myself to use a mini in casual rounds for exactly this reason.

NEW THREAD:

Lost a mini by leaving it at your feet? (No but seriously now I just lose minis)

I religiously count discs every 2 or 3 holes.

so do I, I look in my nutsac too many times and go crap I'm missing a disc.......

Wait that was the one I threw, it's up by the basket :D

I was also guilty of putting out an ace on a tonal one time... thankfully I haven't lost a disc by leaving it for years... multiple shots used to be my downfall.

I lost a stash mini one time, fully loaded with greenery and some birthday hash someone gave me, that was sad.

Last edited:

Latest posts