• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost a disc by leaving it at your feet?

For me, leaving a disc happens when I make a good shot. As far as I know, it has happened thrice. I never got my favorite Gstar corvette back, but I did get my favorite Essence and Getaway back.

So I start this thread, I see that I'm not alone with this curious problem (which is therapeutic; thank you all), and then I played a round yesterday with all this fresh in mind. And I'll be damned if I didn't try to leave behind my new JARN. Fortunately my friends were helpful.

I really need a simple mnemonic or process, as I clearly should not be allowed out on the course alone. Or maybe out of the house at all. Maybe it's as simple as: never throw any approach/putt without another disc in my opposite hand. Interested in hearing other simple ideas.

I'm tempted by that Upper Disc Shift bag (discs very visible), but I sometimes bring my two unruly dogs and I use my bag as a tether, so I need something relatively heavy (I have a stuffed Prodigy BP-1 V3).

So I start this thread, I see that I'm not alone with this curious problem (which is therapeutic; thank you all), and then I played a round yesterday with all this fresh in mind. And I'll be damned if I didn't try to leave behind my new JARN. Fortunately my friends were helpful.

I really need a simple mnemonic or process, as I clearly should not be allowed out on the course alone. Or maybe out of the house at all. Maybe it's as simple as: never throw any approach/putt without another disc in my opposite hand. Interested in hearing other simple ideas.

I'm tempted by that Upper Disc Shift bag (discs very visible), but I sometimes bring my two unruly dogs and I use my bag as a tether, so I need something relatively heavy (I have a stuffed Prodigy BP-1 V3).

The solutions you seek are not found in a bag.

Yep. ALMOST have done it. My favorite bright white Star Firebird landed just off the fairway in deep grass. I stood over it and threw a different disc, then many holes later, realized that my Firebird wasnt in the bag. I backtracked and luckily the deep grass hid the blinding white plastic well enough that no one saw it. So as someone else mentioned, I do a disc check every few holes.

Maybe I am being too simplistic: Throw disc, watch disc, bend down and pick up your disc on the ground. Why complicate things?

Maybe I am being too simplistic: Throw disc, watch disc, bend down and pick up your disc on the ground. Why complicate things?
We've already established that this is the problem. Problem, meet problem. :)

After some self-reflection, I think this usually happens after either something great (long putt made) or much more often something terrible (completely blew an easy approach or putt). So I get distracted, usually with self-recrimination.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?

We've already established that this is the problem. Problem, meet problem. :)

After some self-reflection, I think this usually happens after either something great (long putt made) or much more often something terrible (completely blew an easy approach or putt). So I get distracted, usually with self-recrimination.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right?

You asked for a simple process. My solution was as simple as it gets, lol.

If you don't remember to pick up your disc, chances are you won't remember to perform another step to make you remember to pick up the disc. Maybe you just accept that this is part of your game and make sure to carry an extra of each of your favorite molds.

I've taken a few steps after a throw, but i don't remember ever leaving one on the course like that.

Good for you, but even pros have this problem. Look at the JomezPro practice round for the Portland Open. Big Jerm leaves the brand new Sexy Bird, that Nate gave him, on hole 1 after his very first throw with it. Not an uncommon thing to happen.

Good for you, but even pros have this problem. Look at the JomezPro practice round for the Portland Open. Big Jerm leaves the brand new Sexy Bird, that Nate gave him, on hole 1 after his very first throw with it. Not an uncommon thing to happen.

So what is your suggestion to help OP solve this problem?

So what is your suggestion to help OP solve this problem?

Honestly, I don't think it can be solved. I buy my molds in certain colors so I can easily identify and count my discs. I still occasionally leave one a couple holes back because I forgot to count my discs before driving. Just something you have to deal with.

I have an insert in my bag that gives me "sections". It's the insert for the Innova SuperHero Pack. All of my main discs go in the center, in a specific order, and fit nicely. Neither too tight or too lose. Every time I put a disc back in the bag, I put it in its specific place.

If I've left a disc somewhere, I know instantly the next time I get a disc, because the fit is too loose.

Honestly, I don't think it can be solved. I buy my molds in certain colors so I can easily identify and count my discs. I still occasionally leave one a couple holes back because I forgot to count my discs before driving. Just something you have to deal with.

I scaled my bag back. I used to carry 23 discs and it was easy to lose track. Now I carry 10, and it's easier to notice when it feels light. I also carry only one color. It's the second shot
that I have to be mindful of.

Oof.. this one hurt today.

Went to play at the White River DGC course in Lake Geneva WI today. Kept making myself only throw one off the tee even if it was bad and broke my rule on I believe hole 15 and threw two.. one was my orange MF Roc3 which I have an ace with and the other was my Diamond Element (the one I actually went and picked up).. needless to say, I didn't notice my Roc3 was missing until about 30 minutes later while I was on hole 3 at the Grand Geneva Resort.

As like some kind of f'd up sign, it started to pour rain the second I looked in my bag and noticed my Roc3 was missing. So I hurriedly finished up the round at Grand Geneva which I had to pay $5 for and ran back to my car and proceeded to haul ass back to White River which was only 8 minutes away luckily. Pulled into the lot, parked and grabbed my umbrella then proceeded to basically sprint to the back 9 where after searching for about 15 minutes to no avail.

The sucky thing is there was some kid with a dog playing a few holes behind me and at some point I noticed he just kind of disappeared so not sure if he took his dog to the river then finished his round after I left but I find it a little fishy that my disc was nowhere to be found (I knew where it should've been and the course is literally on an ex-ball golf course so flat) and I am just really hoping the kid didn't pick it up and go "Ohhh MF disc.. I'm keeping this" cuz I still haven't received any texts about my disc. That also has taught me a lesson on not buying and throwing anymore OOP discs even if they are the only ones I feel the most comfortable throwing (Innova Metal Flake and Echo Star) unless I want to shell out $40+ for a replacement.

I think the thing that hurts the most is it's a sentimental disc cuz I got my first ace with it but I told myself I'd just keep an eye on eBay for another orange one and just pretend like it never got lost. Ya know, that move your parents would try to pull on you when your dad accidentally let the cat out so they go to the pound to find another one that looks exactly like Mr. Pringles.

Sorry to hear it Dean. I have felt that pain with a PFN FAF Firebird. I didn't have an ace on it, but I have never found a disc that tomahawks as well as that one did.

I left a 2nd run Ion behind after an approach at a wide open course with really short grass. :dumbass:

That was the first "real" run imo. Actual first run were all lightweight. Wish I had that one back.

Left a disc in near the basket on hole 15 at Idlewild last month. It was a 2nd upshot from my prior lie. By hole 18 I noticed because I count every 2-3 holes. Why not every hole you ask? Because I also forget to count sometimes too. Anyway, I walk back to the basket, disc is not there. No one else on the course behind us except the twosome we let play through on hole 17 as we looked for a different disc. Yeah we are that bad--have you noticed my screen name?

So we are driving away after the round and get a text--dude says he found the disc, left it under the bench on hole 16. It had to be the folks that passed us on hole 17--why the delayed text?. Why not ask us then? (I didn't know yet we had left one behind at that point) So we turn around, go back to hole 16, disc is not there, someone else had grabbed it a 2nd time. No text this time.

I could have gone to 18's basket and backtracked but at that point I realized I was not meant to have that disc (wasn't important to me).

But yeah, I have a BAD habit of leaving discs behind--unfortunately my son has inherited that, which is a bit reassuring its not just Alzheimer's or something...

I didn't read the thread besides OP, yes 100%.

Forced myself to use a mini in casual rounds for exactly this reason.

NEW THREAD:

Lost a mini by leaving it at your feet? (No but seriously now I just lose minis)

Lost multiple discs this way. Usually it's after making a putt and running it down and I forget to pick up the approach.

Minis…. Oh God I've lost double digit minis by leaving them on the course. I've tried to lose one dozens of other times and remembered a hole or two later. I leave minis everywhere

What is wrong with me? It's terrible feeling alone in my self-outrage.

:doh: :confused: :wall: :p

I asked the same question of people who left their discs in middle of fairways that I found.

UNTIL I started playing multiple discs or with friends. Then it's far too easy.

only happens when stepping into bushes, to place foot behind disc, and then walking away.

a case of out of sight, out of mind. ;)

i usually remember before leaving course.