• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Beloved Discs

Lynn LeFey

Par Member
I'm in a state of mourning. Two days ago, I threw what was possibly my favorite disc into a tree, and after a LONG time of trying, gave up in my attempt to retrieve it. I knew it'd blow down eventually, and be found. And, hopefully, returned. But, I have to be honest, my loss-to-return ratio is sickeningly low. 10-to-1. So, not high hopes.

It was still in the tree as of yesterday. Today I checked, and the disc is not in the tree, in the fairway, in the lost disc return, and none of the players playing saw it. And, of course, no phone call.

It was a hot pink Lucid Thief, and it was exactly perfect for me as a reliably stable but not too overstable fairway driver. It was one of two go-to fairway drivers for me, and as I don't yet have the arm speed to really need distance drivers, it got a LOT of use.

The disc I got to replace it is a Star Teebird. It's considerably more stable than the numbers suggest, and not a reasonable replacement for the Thief, yet. I suspect with some beating in, it'll work out, but I don't want to beat a disc in. I want my Thief back. :(

But it's gone.

A moment of silence, please.

As a exercise in catharsis, does anyone else care to share their grief in losing a beloved disc?

You tend to loose your favorite discs more because you tend to throw them more. I wish I had a dollar for every "ace" disc that I have seen thrown into the water never to be seen again.

You tend to loose your favorite discs more because you tend to throw them more. I wish I had a dollar for every "ace" disc that I have seen thrown into the water never to be seen again.

I wish I had a dollar for every ace disc hanging on a wall somewhere collecting dust. :|

I've lost quite a few go-to discs over the years, as well some dye jobs I really liked and a bunch of ace discs.

Unlike most people, I will throw discs that I care dearly about whenever (water, thorns, blind shots, etc.); if it's the best disc for the shot, I'm using it regardless of my emotional attachment to it. It's sad, but I've gotten used to the feeling of losing discs that mean something to me; you'll get over it. On the flip side, I have hit a bunch of great shots with those discs that I wouldn't have if I was scared to use them.

How have you lost 10 discs in less than one year? I haven't even lost 10 discs in the ~3 years I have been playing

I know how that is as I've lost several of my favs over the 4ish years I've played. I had three of my go-tos stolen at once, two of which I've been able to replace. The one I haven't is a perfectly seasoned E-DS penned Echo Star Destroyer. I was bombing it 350'+ before I realised the awesomeness of a C-PD FH.

As a exercise in catharsis, does anyone else care to share their grief in losing a beloved disc?

I'm trying to perfect some really quick Last Rites, for when I throw a trusty driver over the water and know, immediately upon release, that it's not going to make it. As it is, before the splash I can recall great shots that disc made, and am wondering what I'll replace it with.

I'm not overly nostalgic about discs, but the ones that stung the most were the ones I lost in places where I didn't think losing a disc was possible. I'm still in disbelief about two I lost 15 years ago.

The worst? Well, to begin with, I believe all discs should be thrown---even trophy discs. Nothing hangs on my wall. And I periodically take each disc out of my storage boxes for a chance to fly once more, all by itself in a 1-disc round.

So I pull out an old DX whippet, one with which I got a really cool ace in one of the best rounds of my life, about 15 years earlier. Between a touch of nostalgia, and the fact that the disc is so beat it's crazy flippy, I've already decided not to throw it over water. But before I get to that, on a wooded hole I hit a tree right of the tee, and the disc.....vaporized. The way only an extremely old DX disc can. The biggest piece I ever found was about 2" across, and that was months later. I'm not one to grieve but, had I been, I would have had to hold a memorial service, not a funeral, because there was no body to bury.

It was, needless to say, the end of that 1-disc round, too.

This is why I bag multiples. Part of learning a disc is knowing when you really don't need to throw that particular disc. Sometimes you can even get a better run at the green throwing a similar disc with slightly different properties. At the same time you can find something slightly more stable than what you want and beat it in till its just like the disc you love. The last thing I ever want to do is step up to the tee and be concerned about losing a disc.

I too lost my beloved lucid Thief this past late summer. Threw a second drive (middle of the fairway:wall:) on the last hole of a round and didn't realize it was missing until 3 days later when I was at dubs. Never got a call. I was heartbroken, as it was my favorite (go to) disc. I finally got around to getting another. Same weight, flatness and color. Can't wait for the snow to be gone so I can give it some rips ( it's white) I can feel your pain. I'd recommend getting a few more and throw the heck out of them. It's never good to lose a disc but at least it's replaceable. I hope you get a call on it. Best of luck:)

I don't lose beloved discs. The courses I play are open, and if I come to a real hazardous hole I'll bring some disposable disc I don't care about.

However, I will throw good old discs. I have a proto Star Destroyer in the bag, and have for years. Its an outstanding driver.

I figure I have the discs, might as well throw them.

How have you lost 10 discs in less than one year? I haven't even lost 10 discs in the ~3 years I have been playing

I dunno. Thrown about 8000 shots. The ratio doesn't seem all that high to me. Lost my first two on my first two games. So minus THAT, it's actually like 8 discs in 7900 shots. 3 were stuck in trees, 6 were lost in water hazards, one disappeared into a clump of bushes.

And I've found 8 with no way to contact the owner and found/returned 3 more.

I considering losing discs to be tuition at the "college of disc golf knowledge". It still hurts when I lose a disc I trust - especially when that disc has finally learned how to not hit trees when I throw it all wonky. Luckily it seems that within a week, one of my other discs will step up and take on the new role. I hope that when your mourning is over, you soon find a new go to fairway driver.

I finally got my hands on a custom 1 of 1 brainwave trespass made just for me. I loved that disc and was driving so well. Then a few weeks ago I threw a great shot on 18 putted and closed out my round left as usual. 2 days later I go to a baseball field to throw some shots for practice and its not in my bag :( gone forever.

All depends on where you play, and to a lesser degree, how badly you play there.

I went a decade with very few losses, but nowadays I could lose 10 a month if I had time to play more.

Because, besides being in decline, I frequently play a course with a high-loss potential. Come visit and I'll bet you can lose a few, too.

https://youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M

I have no freaking clue why I thought of this video while reading this thread. You're welcome though.

I once dyed a disc 7 different colors in a very intricate pattern. The first time I threw it it just vanished. The search party had dogs and they couldn't even find it. Im pretty sure it was so beautiful that treesus stole it and hung it on his wall.

Now I don't spend more than an hour or so dying any thrower discs.

I lost 8 in one tournament weekend - overflowing swamps/lakes, high winds and overgrowth is the worst. Shiz happens, especially when you think every gap or shot is possible :D

For some reason nobody wants to part with their moderately beat in, not too stable, not too flippy Star Destroyers when I loose mine. It's a bit ridiculous.

Latest posts