• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc - Your opinion

What do you do when you find a disc that has been marked with name/contact info?

• Return it

Votes: 208 86.3%
  • Keep it

Votes: 33 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man there has been a lot of traffic on this thread since I posted:eek: Really guys it all boils down to decency. If you find a disc with a name and number just call, its that simple. But for all you guys that get bent out of shape about your discs, if it is that special to you why are you throwing it to begin with? I find discs on occasion and I call on every one of them. I keep them if the contact info is bad, I guess I figure that if it was that important they would have kept their info current.

I play ball golf as well and I can tell you that when you lose a ball its gone. If somebody finds it it now belongs to them. In fact the courses even sell used balls at the pro shops. The funny thing is nobody gets all bent out of shape about losing balls, it just goes with the territory. I think anytime there is a reasonable chance that you will lose a disc and you still throw it anyway then you are taking your chances. If you hunt for it and then give up that's it don't expect to get it back. That way if it does come back its a bonus. Labelling stealing and calling people thieves is a little extreme IMO. Stealing is when you take it out of my bag or off the hole that I am playing.

If you find a $20 bill on the ground and no one is around do you not pick it up and not take it?
Not the same. I've never heard of anyone writing their name and phone number on all their $20 bills.

If you're off in the woods looking for your disc and instead you found a bag of cash with this printed on the side:

Brinks

Telephone: (469) 549-6000
Email: [email protected]

Are you telling me that when you keep it that's not stealing either?

Keeping something that does not belong to you when you know who the owner is... that's just wrong... and sad.

ERic

I play ball golf as well and I can tell you that when you lose a ball its gone. If somebody finds it it now belongs to them. In fact the courses even sell used balls at the pro shops. The funny thing is nobody gets all bent out of shape about losing balls, it just goes with the territory.

people commonly take each others clubs in ball golf? To me, discs are more along the line of golf clubs then they are golf balls. Clearly golf balls are meant to be disposable and discs are not.

I try to do what I can. I have lost 6 discs and have only gotten one call back. I have found about 10 discs, but only 4 of them have had a name and number. I returned 2 of them to the owners, but the other two, I left a message for, but never got a call back. Neither one of them are discs that I would normaly throw, so I guess it goes into my trade pile.

Very surprised at some of these opinions and how accepted theft is.

Anyway, my discs are mine. I bought them. I would like to keep them. Should I misplace one on course please dont steal it.

Maine law:
§ 1051. Duty of finder of money or goods worth $3 or more

Whoever finds lost money or goods of the value of $3 or more shall, if the owner is unknown, within 7 days give notice thereof in writing to the clerk of the town where the money or goods are found and post a notification thereof in some public place in said town. If the value is $10 or more, the finder, in addition to the notice to the town clerk and the notification to be posted, shall, within one month after finding, publish a notice thereof in some newspaper published in the town, if any, otherwise in some newspaper published in the county.

Im sure most of your states have similar laws.

stealing golf clubs??? this is getting absurd -while the two sports have a similar goal - we all understand the golf clubs / different discs = "clubs" analogy but extrapolating the taking of lost balls to people stealing golf clubs is wrong & misguided.

While someone might have a high end $20-30 disc - that's nothing compared to a high end $1000.00 driver. A $4.00 golf ball is much more comparable to an avg disc. - it's the object that flies towards the hole and can get lost.

i know some say cost is irrelevant - but the cost of ball golf as a whole is so far out of Disc golfs league - we cant always leap to compare everything to ball golf.

i know some say cost is irrelevant -
it is. lol. I'm just trying to get you to see that while you may view discs as 'expendable' objects, other people may/do not.

Finding something does not transfer ownership.

Huff - just curious when was that $3.00 rule made?? The amount just seems outdated- It seems like an old Massachusetts "Blue Law" haha (Liquor stores closed on Sunday, which is no longer a law)

not sure, I can try to find out. But regardless most places Ive lived have had some kind of law or statute about finding lost property and what steps the finder needs to go through before they can consider the found item theirs.

I just cant imagine finding something that someone lost that contains a means to reach the owner and deciding that I'm somehow more entitled to their property then they are. And its even more baffling to me to see people openly defending the practice. I'd honestly be ashamed of myself.

oh and I had a type above. I meant to say 'it isnt irrelevant'

not sure, I can try to find out. But regardless most places Ive lived have had some kind of law or statute about finding lost property and what steps the finder needs to go through before they can consider the found item theirs.

I just cant imagine finding something that someone lost that contains a means to reach the owner and deciding that I'm somehow more entitled to their property then they are. And its even more baffling to me to see people openly defending the practice. I'd honestly be ashamed of myself.

oh and I had a type above. I meant to say 'it isnt irrelevant'

that's cool - im sure everyplace has those types of statutes to combat "finders keepers frenzy" - if people knew it was ok to take anything up to a certain denomination - it would be a nightmare. people's stance on what to do might have to do with their introduction to the game - when i first played i just saw found discs lying at the first tee. Didnt touch them, didnt do anything - they didnt have names on them - but just let them be. Figured that was the norm.
The next disc i find with # - ill call the # and see how that goes.

Somehow I missed this whole conversation but here's my 2 cents.

When I find a disc with a telephone number I usually send a text message (I used to call). Usually what happens is the person sends me a message back and says he can't believe I found the disc but he's already replaced it and I can keep it. If that's the case I just scribble the name and number off the back (sometimes), throw it in my extra disc pile and then give it away to someone who wants to start playing. If the person wants it back then I meet them somewhere or I put it somewhere that they can find it. But I don't go very far out of my way for them.

I've had guys pick them up at my house and all kinds of stuff. Just last week I found a disc in Fayetteville, Ga. I had to leave it at the front desk of my hotel so the guy could pick it up because I was leaving town. I assume he got it.

It's being a good guy to attempt to return something that's not yours. I don't go horribly out of my way to get a disc to someone. It's their responsibility to come get it. It's not lost any more but I'm not going to pack it up and ship it too them. I have better things to do with my time.

I mark my discs with my name and telephone number. I can't remember a time where anyone has ever called me to return a disc so I think there's more people out there who keep them than return them. But my opinion about it is... it's theirs. I lost it, I gave up looking, they found it. It sucks because it's gone but it's no longer mine. I don't get too bent out of shape about it because in the great scheme of things it's not that important.

It's no different than a dog or a wallet or anything else though. It's not yours any more if you lost it and someone else found it. It's theirs now. They just have to be ethical and make the right decision about what to do with it. Scum will take all the money, run up the credit cards, use your license to steal your identity and then throw it all away. A good person will give you a call and return it.

What kind of person am I? That's the question we should all ask ourselves. Then we should make the right decision when faced with opportunity.

For those who elect to keep the discs they find, I have a question: Do you mark your discs with name and #? If so, why?

Personally, I'll call (or leave a message) and ask them what they want me to do with it. If they can figure out a way to get it back with minimal effort, great. Usually the person has just told me to keep it.

I think that most people here are advocating calling a number if it is present on a disc that you find. However, if I lose a disc, search for it and then give up, I assume that the disc is gone. It is as any other piece of property and once my search is over, I feel no entitlement to that disc. Now if you find someone else's disc, it is common courtesy to attempt to return the disc, but to expect that same courtesy everytime you lose a disc is a bit naive. To me, once I lose it, it is no longer mine. When I update my will next month, I doubt I will change the wording in my estate to "I officially bestow upon my daughter all monies and properties that are hereby and forthwith mine, including a 172 gram Star Coyote lying somewhere in the woods off to the right of hole 14 at (insert disc golf course name here)."

It's just the right thing to do..

If it has a name and number, some kind of contact info. You get in touch with them. It's just being a decent person, nothing else.

For those who elect to keep the discs they find, I have a question: Do you mark your discs with name and #? If so, why?

I mark my discs with my name on the rim so if I'm throwing the same disc as someone else it doesn't get mixed up. Sometimes I'll draw a character on it so when people do find it they say "wow, that's cool. I'm happy I just found this." I've never ever expected to get a disc back once I've given up on it. I guess I just thought that's how everyone else feels. You shouldn't get so pissy over a piece of plastic. There's more things in life to be upset about.

& to the guy who keeps bringing up all the PDGA rules in every conversation; get a life. When you go to a course & play a casual game, you seriously follow every rule the PDGA has ever layed down?

& to the guy who keeps bringing up all the PDGA rules in every conversation; get a life.
Assuming that's me... thanks for the advice; I'll take that under the consideration it deserves.

The point of bringing up the 3 minute rule is that a lot of discs are lost in a tournament and the search is forced to be abandoned after 3 minutes. So when you find [and take] that disc later, it may not be that the person who lost it gave up looking by choice.

When you go to a course & play a casual game, you seriously follow every rule the PDGA has ever layed down?
"Ever", no. "Currently layed down", pretty much. I will occasionally get lazy and flip my disc instead of playing directly behind it or marking it with a mini.

ERic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts