• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

love for the liberty

cheddapig

Par Member
So over black Friday weekend I took advantage of disc nations basket sale... weighing in at just under 70 lbs, the 24 chain basket is very solid and catches just as good as the mach3's at my home course... I like the orientation of the nubs promoting skip overs into the basket and stopping discs glancing over the rim. The basket seams to be a slightly larger diameter... all in all very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this basket to anyone looking for a pin for the backyard.. especially if they are offering 30 percent off:thmbup:

I just got to play on some Liberty baskets at Jumonville Glen a couple of weeks ago.

I liked the baskets too. I found that the chains did really well on nicely centered putts. But when my putts hit the right side of the chains (RHBH), I had a lot of spit outs/blow throughs when compared to other baskets. I figure that it's due to the chain configuration with just the 12 outer chains. Instead of multiple chains grabbing the putts and using the clockwise spine to pull them in, the "thinner" outer layer of chains didn't pull the putts in as well.

For a personal basket, and at a great price, I would totally agree that it's a fine choice. I just need to center my putts better! :D

I played a private course with several liberty baskets, I thought they were a really nice option at that price level. They might not catch quite as well as the top of the line baskets but they're not far behind and are more affordable especially with the current deal.

Giving some added props to the Liberty basket. Brad and I find ourselves throwing in some fun MVP warehouse shots during our breaks. Great solid disc catching device!

I played a private course with several liberty baskets, I thought they were a really nice option at that price level. They might not catch quite as well as the top of the line baskets but they're not far behind and are more affordable especially with the current deal.

Heh, just finished unpacking and assembling the rest of those tonight. :thmbup:

Just got back home.

I really like the Liberty baskets...good stuff. :cool:

15' putt.

Slow, flat, dead center chains.

Bounces straight back out.

I believe 95% of the commiserative 'You got robbed' putts are more 'close but not quite' putts that failed due to thrower error. In this instance, I felt robbed, the only time I can recall this happening in recent memory. A few holes later I had a similar putt bounce back on the same manner though it was lower and caught the inside of the bin. The chains on the Liberty are too light and there are 'bad' angles at which one is not catching much chain, or at least more than what I've experienced on other baskets. For me at least, I felt the single chain Discatcher Sports I have for practice caught good putts better.

Simple answer here is to adjust one's putting to the basket. Some of the older DGA models are less speed tolerant so just slowing it down resolves the issue. The problem I have is that for me to adjust my putting to this basket, I need to change my putting style and/or targeting from that I use on any other design.

All that said, they're not bad baskets. They seem to be better at catching high putts and for whatever reason feel like they have a greater target area. These might be advantages for some but I would personally prefer a basket that always catches my good putts over a basket more likely to catch my bad putts.

I think I can answer why the Liberty does have issues with straight on putts.

And this is as a disc golfer, don't have my Disc Nation hat on

The center pole is a bit larger that most baskets you find and it is pretty solid. I have had stiff putters bounce out when I putt them dead center. For someone that likes putting right down the pole, I think pole bounces are the risk you take, and they just become magnified on a basket with a thicker center pole.

The liberty does a really good job of catching just about every style of putt. I've spent probably more hours on it than most, and my only issue is the thicker center pole. Doesn't get any more honest from a Disc Nation employee :D

Huh. I haven't witnessed any bounce outs on these baskets yet. I'll keep an eye open. What zj said about the center pole thickness might make sense. Otherwise, the chains are fine, and catch plenty solidly from my (albeit relatively brief) experiences on a set of them in course conditions.

Latest posts