• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low fade driver suggestion.

Dj1001

Eagle Member
Hey whats up I am hoping you guys could help me with a disc suggestion.

The first hole on my local course starts on a 40ft. hill and is out in the open so tail winds are almost always present.

When driving (RhFh) my discs fly good for maybe the first 200-250 and then will fade hard into the ground due to the elevation. I know I can counteract by throw anhyzers and keeping them low but the tailwind often drives low shots straight into the ground.

so my question is what wide rimmed driver do you guys suggest for tailkwinds that has minimal fade.

right now im throwing a broken in 170 champ destroyer, 174 newish Z flash, and i was throwing a Z Surge SS till I lost.

How far is the hole? Normally a putter or mid works well off a hill like that. Putters can go pretty darn far off of hills too. Plus you'll limit the fade quite a bit.

leopard, sidewinder, roadrunner, or avenger ss if you like discraft. all are understable drivers but throwing off of increased elevation with a tailwind will make then more stable.

so your shooting uphill or downhill?

so i think your shooting uphill, you need a less stable driver than your destroyer, and i've never tossed your discraft molds... so ill just recommend you a less stable driver - wide rimmed - katana. get one in a lighter weight and non champ/star - go with a lighter pro katana.

Yes, if you have to use a driver go under stable. I like the glide of Latitude discs, and would recommend a River or Vision. But anything under stable would work.

But keep chucking the putters and mids. My arm isn't all that great, but I have gotten a putter around that distance before. Just depends on how big the hill is.

the hole starts on top of the hill and it is 47ft higher than the pin the problem is that it is in the middle of a large open filed so the wind is vicious at times.

I have a Quest Defender that is understable and when I throw it as hard as possible it flips upside down.

out of the river and Vision which has a wider rim?

The vision is a little wider but it's not wide! Only a speed 9, much smaller than the destroyer, about like a valk. A few that are very wide & understable would be Katana, Vulcan, Nuke SS, maybe King & Havoc. Haven't thrown the last two but have heard they are not near as stable as their ratings.

Last edited:
oh ok. I much prefer the feel of a wide rimmed disc for my rhfh shots.

My one friend has a Vulcan and it seems too understable.

What about the groove it seems to have a low fade rating and is understable enough to resist the tailwind.

whats wrong with the groove

It's inconsistent and horrible. I found one with a number on it, I did the guy a favor by throwing it away. (Not really, but someone else once said that and I thought it was great.) My 2 year old son doesn't even like the feel of it.

Do a Groove search if you want to read some more bashing/love for it.

Anyway, if you want a wide rimmed disc with less fade, try a Tourney plastic King or GoldLine Bolt.

im gonna try to get my hands on a katana, maybe pick one up second hand from the forums.

Anyone have one they would be willing to part with cheap?

It's not an extremely wide-rimmed driver, but Millennium's Orion LF (long fade) might be what you're looking for. I've got one myself and it's fantastic. Has a nice, gradual fade to it. If you whip it good though you can get it to fly straight for 150 - 200' then it has a mild fade on it.

You just need to find a disc that stable enough. Katana is gonna flip over so fast in the wind.

nothing wrong with "discing up" for forehand drives.... but the groove is not the way to go.

but forehand downhill... are you sure you want understable? I'm not a forehand thrower at all. but i thought understable discs acted like overstable when throwing forehand.

jrawk: <--- assumes too much.

I missed the FH part. Sloppy can't multi-task. Just ignore everything I said. My FH is not good. I should not give disc advice for anyone's FH.

Latest posts