• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Low fade shallow putter?

Thanks again for all the great input. I'd really like to try all of these but based on all the research and some feeling up of discs in PIAS the leading candidates for a shallow, slow, low fade putter seemed to be the Summit and the Swan2 so I went out and bought both and have been having a practice basket shootout with these along with an Aviar P&A, Nova, and Anode. One thing I learned very quickly is that I do much better with a sticky gummy material that melds between my thumb and middle finger pinch if that makes sense. So now I've realized I'm super picky and need all of the following to putt my best: slow, shallow, low fade, and grippy.

I was easily making the most putts with the Swan2 and Summit. I just couldn't get the same grip on the Anode and it's also a bit deep dish. As stated before the Nova and the Aviar P&A are also a too deep dish and thus the reason for the search. I must say when released flat and straight with a good release the Nova is a thing of beauty - perhaps the most neutral pretty flight of any disc I've ever thrown. I still just can't get over the depth of the rim as it's just awkward sometimes.

With all of the above ruled out the primary contenders are the Swan2 and the Summit. I'm 100% certain I could use either one of these as my primary putter and improve my game (this makes me very happy). With both of these I can very comfortably and naturally pinch down between my thumb and middle finger without an awkward rim in the way and beyond just the shape/size they both have a gummy/grippy quality that is really helping me add a little zip/spin that is also keeping my putts straighter longer. So the big question... which one can I putt better with? Honestly I'm not sure as they're both awesome and fly very similar inside 40ft. Here's the pluses and minuses.

Grip - both are awesome but the edge goes to the Swan2 soft versus the Summit medium - grippy goodness

Rim depth/feel/shape - The rim on the Summit is a little shallower - edge Summit.

Fade - dang this is a close call but the Swan2 fades a little less. Edge Swan2 (again very close call)

Speed - Tie - Inside the circle it's too close to call for me

Okay so now a couple of things that may be a little unfair in a heads up one on one contest but will likely factor into my decision.

Cost - I'm gonna have a stack of my go to putter both at home and at work (I'm a lucky boy and actually have permanent practice baskets installed at work). I'll probably pick up 20 of the winner so the cost advantage goes to the Swan2.

Color - I have practice basket in a dimly lit back yard at night. I can get Swan2s in white (easy to spot in dim light) and Summits generally come in camouflage (multicolored) which are not as easy to find. I realize this matters to likely no one but me but...

I feel I can putt equally well with either option but am leaning Swan2 due to the last 2 factors. I'll probably throw them both in a field to test them outside the circle before making a call but truthfully I'm so happy with my Tangent as an upshot disc that unless one of these really impresses me shouldn't be that big of a factor. I'm making this pick solely on putting inside the circle.

This is funny as I am on the same journey right now. Love the flight of the nova but hate the extra deep dish. It is worse for me as I have relatively small hands. Usually it isn't an issue but it causes the occasional is release which drives me nuts. I also am not able to fh the nova to save my life. I figured I'd try a summit for the same reasons as you and picked one up this week. What is nice is outside of the feel it putts the same inside the circle and now I'm not getting the occasional funny release and missed putt. I not have two more on the way and we'll be making the switch after this weekends tournament

20 practice putters, that's a bunch. Make sure you're practicing quality and not just doing mindless reps.

20 practice putters, that's a bunch. Make sure you're practicing quality and not just doing mindless reps.

20 total so I can have a stack of 10 at home and a stack of 10 at work. I know what you mean about practice turning into mindless reps. Sometimes the more you have in the stack in front of you the less critical each individual putt can seem. I'm curious, if cost wasn't an issue how many would you suggest practicing with during a given session? Would 10 be too many?

I just picked up a couple Hard Swans to use on approaches. My Swan2's are anti roll machines. It will be interesting to see if the bad bounce and roll aways go up with the harder plastic. I am with you 'slinger, I like the soft grippy plastic for putts, but I'd like to preserve my nicely seasoned Swans as long as I can. So the Hard Swan experiement begins.

I just picked up a couple Hard Swans to use on approaches. My Swan2's are anti roll machines. It will be interesting to see if the bad bounce and roll aways go up with the harder plastic. I am with you 'slinger, I like the soft grippy plastic for putts, but I'd like to preserve my nicely seasoned Swans as long as I can. So the Hard Swan experiement begins.

Interesting, my instincts tell me the soft ones would be better for approaches as well since I've found harder plastic does tend to roll away more. Also softer plastic tends to grab the ground better for less skipage (one less thing to judge). I'm curious to see how your experiment works out. It sounds like you're have durability issues with the soft swan2?

Did you give the XD a shot?

Absolutely, and it works pretty well. I love the shallow rim and can hit the chains as well with this one. The XD is just a little faster than I prefer my putter (can't stand missing a comeback putt). I'm also really loving that soft grippy feeling on the swan2s that I don't get with the XD. No doubt the XD is a straight shooter and would also be a good choice.

Interesting, my instincts tell me the soft ones would be better for approaches as well since I've found harder plastic does tend to roll away more. Also softer plastic tends to grab the ground better for less skipage (one less thing to judge). I'm curious to see how your experiment works out. It sounds like you're have durability issues with the soft swan2?

No, but I have 7 I really like for putting and want to keep them in good shape. So I'll try the Hards in thick woods, and see how it goes.

You can get white Summits, or mostly white with a few spots of other colors. It's kinda off white, with colorful specks, but it's white enough. If color is that much of a factor. I did like my Summit until I lost it. I guess I didn't like it enough to get another though. That and there were lots of other putters for me to try :p

I practice with only two putters. Part of that is because I only have two Voodoos, but I find I get into the mindless rep mode with any more than 3 or so.

XD and Spike were my first thoughts. Spike is just slightly deeper than the XD but they're almost identical in flight...Spike is just a touch slower but still a little faster than most putters. A gummy QMS makes a good straight putter, too, and it's nice and shallow, but probably faster than you want. Have you thought about a Lightning #2 Upshot? Very similar to the XD and Spike but a little slower and more like a lid, slightly larger diameter. They're cheap and Lightning's plastic has a little rubbery feel to it that gets better with age...not tacky, but not slick either. It's about the same depth as the Spike. I like shallow putters most of the time and for drives. I didn't care much for the Anode either and went back to the Spike for this slot, picked up a few of the recycled plastic ones and they're really nice.