• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] low profile neutral putter?

Ender175

Eagle Member
So I've auditioned a few putters at this point (talking actual putting putters, not drive/approach) and so far I've found that I like the in hand feel and clean release of the gstar rhyno the best. I tried to use the Nova for a while, and I really liked the flight path, but I just couldn't eliminate the occasional griplock putt that missed badly high and right.

Are there any putters that are as flat as a rhyno but fly closer to the Nova?
So far I've tried-
Birdie- weird rim, just can't get a grip I like
DX/XT/gstar aviar- nice middle ground between the two, love the xt for fan grip distance, but still not quite as nice in hand as the rhyno
Champ XD+ - can't grip the damn thing, miss left constantly, which is too bad, I had high hopes for this one. Maybe its the plus rim?

So far my bag is all innova, but I'm open to suggestions from any mfr.

Never actually thrown a nova, but the new MVP Atom might work for you. It was just released Friday, and so far I've been really digging it. For anything inside the circle it wont have much if any fade, depending on your putting style.

P1X all day. They fly very similar to the NOVA but feel so much better in hand. Also get the x line and you'll have some sic puddle toppers! My new go to disc!

XD can be a little fast for putting but I used to use them a lot (pre-plus rim). Inner rim doesn't really matter to me for putts, but if it's not working for you move on. You might give the L64 Spike a tryout, or even a Lightning #2 Upshot. Both are very neutral with a touch of fade for putts...slightly deeper than the XD, bout the same as a Rhino/Pig. Anode is just a touch deeper than those two, like a Pure, but still shallow and not as deep as most putters. The two new ones from Gateway sound nice, too, but I haven't gotten to throw them yet. Shaman and Chief, I think?

I'd vote for a Spike. Zero will beat in very straight (understable under power for drives) and the recycled will stay straight with a little fade for a very long time. My main putters now are Magics and Voodoos, but the Spike comes out sometimes. Great disc.

Pure, Atom, Proxy, P1x, PA4, Magic, Shaman. Most of these are a little under stable at high speed but pretty straight at low speed.

My favorite putter is the Swan though. Fairly under stable for throwing but really straight for putting.

Last edited:
Axiom Proxy, or MVP Atom will work wonderfully for what you need. I prefer the Atom though, due to its tasty Electron plastic.

Sounds like your wanting a putter that feels like a mid. I only bag innova but when I didn't I used a latitude spike, or a dynamic discs warden

I've really been liking my 400s Pa4. I don't use it for putting, just short hyzer-flip drives. Fast for a putter and a great neutral flight. I use it as my mini Comet.

I'd look at the pure in base plastic, the shaman in Soft or super soft, and cheif in soft or super soft. The cheif is probably closest in flight and feel of the ryhno without a super ridiculous fade. The shaman is just a flattened magic for the most part(unless they've retooled it). And the pure is just a really nice putter all the way around, good for putting and driving. But if your gonna throw a pure I'd get the opto, stays consistent longer obviously.

Your putter preference sounds a lot like mine. I too liked the Nova, but it got stuck in my hand. For me, I like the Voodoo (thanks people of dgcr for the suggestion:clap:), but it doesn't fly quite the same as an Aviar does (Flies straighter when used for putting). However, I also have a Warlock which flies a lot like an aviar, but I enjoy the stiffness of it more (I throw soft). There are plenty of different plastic types though so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited:
Been a rhyno man for a looong time. Get a summit. You won't regret it. It's exactly what you are looking for.

I'll make a plug for the RDG Serpent. It features our deliciously comfortable thumb contoured flat top & holds all kinds of lines right out of the box.