• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

There's some douchebag on craigslist near me who's selling these bags for $75 and says he's raising it to $100 soon. And people are buying them!!

Well that stinks. I just got an email from Academy saying they had to cancel my order because they couldn't fulfill it. It must have been a glitch on their website allowing me to place the order in the first place.

75 dollars wow, I was happy I got mine at 30. it lasted a couple months but the cheap materials are starting to show their colors. the strap was starting to unravel where it connects to the top of the bag. I put some 2 part epoxy on there to hopefully keep it from dilapidating more. my equate brand grip bag is starting to fall apart, zipper troubles, straps wont stay tightened. pretty much all the stuff the haiters were foreseeing has happened. still worth the 30 I paid for mine but not a dime more. when academy raised the price without any changes, that deterred me from ever buying another one. glad to see lat 64 has improved their backpack though.

was just about to post a pic of the baby blue they sent me. anyone see any improvements?
ImageProxy.mvc

$11 plus tax at Ace (so you could probably get under $10 at HD or Lowes)

It's made of 1/2 pvc and I used

6 Tees
6 90* Elbows
2 45* Elbows

1 8' Stick of 1/2" water PVC

Cut list:

8-- 1" for coupling
2-- 3" to join the bottom together
3--10" for cross pieces
2--15" for the back (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)
2--14" for the front (may check these yourselves as they apply the tension)

15313515910_b0d8aa30fb_c.jpg

15313514390_1ece66e237_c.jpg

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them...

I finally got my bag yesterday and made the frame for it according to the dimensions above. So far, it looks and feels really good. As others have noted, if the water bottle holder was bigger, thicker shoulder straps, and slightly better nylon straps and zippers were used, this bag would be incredible. I can also see that the elastic used for the putter pocket, water bottle holders, and other pockets probably won't last all that long. I'd definitely pay another $20 if those improvements were made. As it is, I'm still very pleased with it and will hopefully have it out for a round in the next few days.

My only comments regarding the CPVC frame dimensions would be that the bottom 2 support bars could probably stand to be 10 1/2" or maybe even 11" wide as I still have about that much room left on the sides of the frame. The top support seems just right at 10". I haven't glued mine together yet, but I'll need to get another piece of CPVC before I can try it with a wider bottom. Right now, I can only fit 18 discs in the main compartment: 6 mids and 12 drivers. With another 1/2" or 1", I could definitely fit another disc or 2.

I finally got my bag yesterday and made the frame for it according to the dimensions above. So far, it looks and feels really good. As others have noted, if the water bottle holder was bigger, thicker shoulder straps, and slightly better nylon straps and zippers were used, this bag would be incredible. I can also see that the elastic used for the putter pocket, water bottle holders, and other pockets probably won't last all that long. I'd definitely pay another $20 if those improvements were made. As it is, I'm still very pleased with it and will hopefully have it out for a round in the next few days.

My only comments regarding the CPVC frame dimensions would be that the bottom 2 support bars could probably stand to be 10 1/2" or maybe even 11" wide as I still have about that much room left on the sides of the frame. The top support seems just right at 10". I haven't glued mine together yet, but I'll need to get another piece of CPVC before I can try it with a wider bottom. Right now, I can only fit 18 discs in the main compartment: 6 mids and 12 drivers. With another 1/2" or 1", I could definitely fit another disc or 2.

I would think that it would cost more than $20 to the end user to get those improvements made.

I just bought two of these for some friends that started playing last summer. I just need to make a stop at Home Depot.

I would think that it would cost more than $20 to the end user to get those improvements made.

Considering what they put together for $30 originally and now $40, I'd be surprised if it cost more than that. But hey, I'm no manufacturer and I don't know the difference in cost of those materials. I don't think the labor would change much. I'm not expecting top-of-the line quality, but just something a little bit beefier than it already is. Even if they doubled the cost of the bag with those improvements, it would still be a steal compared to the rest of the bags on the market.

Considering what they put together for $30 originally and now $40, I'd be surprised if it cost more than that. But hey, I'm no manufacturer and I don't know the difference in cost of those materials. I don't think the labor would change much. I'm not expecting top-of-the line quality, but just something a little bit beefier than it already is. Even if they doubled the cost of the bag with those improvements, it would still be a steal compared to the rest of the bags on the market.

Agreed. Interested to see that $99 Fossa Backpack.

Got mine 2 weeks ago.
Took a while getting it shipped over a friends APO, traveling its way to germany.
Love it so far, just have to add a PVC frame the next days and I'm fulfilled ;)

Just ordered mine this week and it shipped today :)

I use the Innova Competition Bag so we will see if it replaces that as my everyday bag.

Got mine 2 weeks ago.
Took a while getting it shipped over a friends APO, traveling its way to germany.
Love it so far, just have to add a PVC frame the next days and I'm fulfilled ;)

Used 4 meter cable pipe (15mm diameter) and ~20 cable ties altogether for 4€ to make a frame and it looks and works out pretty nice :)

a friend has this bag and what he did was to line the sides and the back with double wall cardboard. before it just kinda sat and sagged like a poor unhappy golf bag. now it sits up high and tall and proud next to the more expensive bags. and the only time i have seen it fall over during a round was when he kicked it following through on a putt. (gotta make sure to give yourself some room there amigo.)

it has been a good bag for him so far. if they made some more colors that would be a nice update with some of the other stuff but it works for now.

happy throwing.

darren

I thought id give a quick update on how i feel about this bag after having it for a couple months now

i am going to shy away from restating the quality etc that people have noticed and just put my own unique comments

I stepped up from a nutsac. I initially ran into the problem that i didnt have anywhere near enough discs to fill this. i was carrying 6-8 in my nutsac and owned like another 5-6.

This put me in a position where i started feeling a need to buy more discs. This is good and bad. First, i had a lot of things i wanted to try, and this motivated me to so. and thats good. obiously it cost money to try new stuff, but overall worth it. My game, however suffered, cuz i was constantly trying things i wasnt used to. So i have gone back to only carrying 6-8 molds, just more multiples. I think this puts me more in line with what better players do, and sets me up well. I feel like people that are likely to purchase this bag are like me, casual players looking to step up to a backpack but not spend a ton of money. they should consider that this may change their daily carrying needs in terms of discs. This may be good or bad depending on what you want out of your game.

Generally speaking, my biggest problem is i wish there was an external caribiner hook or something similar to tie my towel onto. i have makeshifted it, but it annoys me. I also find the lack of "dedicated" mini holder annoying, and im constantly searching random compartments for it because i forget where i put it.

Durability seems good, but i am concerned about the long term durability of the carrying strap at the top, you know the one you would hang your bag from. it seems flimsy to me and likely to tear out, but we shall see.

i have not built a frame and dont feel a need to at this point. With a full compliment of around 20 discs in the bag i find everything kind fits ok. occasionally ill have a disc on the ends inside and i cant find it because you cant see all the way to the edge. Otherwise, no complaints.

a

Last edited:

I finished my bag and I used 11" support bars on the bottom, but left the top at 10". Now the frame fits perfectly top and bottom and allows me to comfortably fit 19 discs in the main compartment with maybe the ability to squeeze 1 more driver in there. Currently I have 7 mids and 12 drivers in the main, 2 putters in the front "putter pocket", and 3 more putters in the top non-felt lined pocket. I could fit another disc or 2 in each of the side pockets if I needed to (which I don't).

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_135448952.jpg
    IMG_20150109_135448952.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 210

Latest posts