• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Not a Magellan owner, but almost bought one over my Lat 64 Luxury bag. I was seriously considering one. A buddy I play with weekly has used one for the past year. He plastidipped the bottom, put in a frame, and has used it every day for over a year and it still looks really good. Some small blemishes here and there, but no major tears or anything. He is however considering an upgrade to a Grip, Ranger or Lat 64 bag.

Not a Magellan owner, but almost bought one over my Lat 64 Luxury bag. I was seriously considering one. A buddy I play with weekly has used one for the past year. He plastidipped the bottom, put in a frame, and has used it every day for over a year and it still looks really good. Some small blemishes here and there, but no major tears or anything. He is however considering an upgrade to a Grip, Ranger or Lat 64 bag.

Haven't these only existed for like 4 or 5 months?

I really like my magellan, especially for the price. I picked mine up when they were still $40. I put a pvc cradle in it to hold the discs and used an old campaign poster to stiffen the sides. It has plenty of storage for me, but I dont play tournaments or anything.

Got my Magellan in. Very impressed with the construction of this bag. Plenty enough room for everything I need to carry. A considerable step up from the Wal-Mart diy I had all of last season.

I actually have a Grip A-series and a Magellan.
I prefer the Magellan for lightness and capacity. I have my Magellan stiffened up with some cut-to-size plastic cardboard campaign signs; also have some towels in the top pocket for putter visibility.

I'm sure the Grip will outlast the Magellan. When the Magellan wears out, I have a pretty good backup.

I actually have a Grip A-series and a Magellan.
I prefer the Magellan for lightness and capacity. I have my Magellan stiffened up with some cut-to-size plastic cardboard campaign signs; also have some towels in the top pocket for putter visibility.

I'm sure the Grip will outlast the Magellan. When the Magellan wears out, I have a pretty good backup.

C'mon, man... Campaign signs? Towels??

Just use your Grip. It's built to last.

That Magellan will disintegrate faster than the Wicked Witch of the West facing a glass of tap water...

C'mon, man... Campaign signs? Towels??

Just use your Grip. It's built to last.

That Magellan will disintegrate faster than the Wicked Witch of the West facing a glass of tap water...

And when it does disintegrate, I'll go back to the Grip.
Heavy, you're a trip.
Allow me to expand a bit...
My Grip setup is 21 discs. 19 in the bottom and 2 in the quiver. That's my steady tourney set-up.
My Magellan holds 21 in the bottom, 3 in the quiver and 2-3 on either side. So I carry about 25 on practice rounds, trying out new discs and backups.
Tourney rounds and competitive rounds still get the Grip, but right now the Magellan is getting all the practice rounds.

I have a Grip bag and a DIY Cabelas bag. The Cabelas bag is WAAAAY more sturdy and better built than the Magellan.

You know what I use the Cabelas bag for? Storage. And that's it. My kids' school backpacks are made of better materials than the Magellan.

I never worry that my Grip bag is going to fail. Ever.

It probably sounds like I'm ripping on the Magellan. I'm really not. I'm just saying if you have an f'ing Grip bag, then just use the damn thing! :D

Have you used the Magellan enough to make this call?

I've got around 70 rounds on this thing and it's far from disintegrating. Rain, snow, thaw, mud. It's got some wear and some tear but it's still going strong for a $40 bag. Is it a Grip, no. If I had a grip I'd use it over the Magellan. I don't have a grip but I've got an extra $200.

Has anyone tried to iron any patches on to one of these bags? I'd like to hear from someone before potentially melting my backpack...

heh... I'm thinking you need to pull out the ol' needle and thread on this one

I ironed on a patch. Just throw a washcloth over it and keep the iron constantly moving. I did it on the side, not the flap. Just be careful.

I ironed on a patch. Just throw a washcloth over it and keep the iron constantly moving. I did it on the side, not the flap. Just be careful.

I did the same. Be careful, though, as mine eventually peeled off. The adhesive does not like the nylon.