• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

After about 100 rounds of rugged mountain courses, I must say that my Magellan has held up great. I do wish it canes some kind of a divider though.

After about 100 rounds of rugged mountain courses, I must say that my Magellan has held up great. I do wish it canes some kind of a divider though.

I had a buddy who tried to put a PVC frame in his and he hadn't measured it quite right, so it ripped the seams open on the top of the Magellan. It also started ripping where the straps met the bag, and a few other places.. I called the bag 'stitches' cause he'd(his wife?) had sewn it together with colorful thread in so many places.

I'm sure it's not 'bad' quality, but it's not made to last. I'm sure my opinion is jaded since I've had a Mahal for a while now, I probably have somewhere between 1000-1500 rounds on my mahal and it's still in almost perfect condition.

I put the innova u channel divider in mine with a piece of velcro on the bottom to keep it in place. It works like a charm and gives the bag some structure without doing frames or anything. I like mine, but i want to upgrade to something a little nicer this summer. I am thinking about a ranger for the storage but its hard to drop $175+ on a bag when I have one that works for $30.

I've got about a 100 rounds on mine as well, and the bag has held up pretty well. No tears or holes of any kind, and all the zippers still work (my one initial concern), but the straps are really worn. Actually just the right strap because I will one strap most of the time between upshot-basket-next tee.
Overall I'm super happy with the bag's value, but will probably need to replace it before the end of the season.

anybody have any of the newer versions of this bag? I know they've recently come out with two more colors (blue and grey, black and grey) as opposed to just the first color (green and black)

I have the old Green and black one, and it's starting to tear, at the edge of the main compartment zipper, and putter pocket.

I guess it's time to step up and buy a more expensive backpack :(

Can anyone compare these to the Target Embark Jartop Elite bag? I didn't know about that one but have a Magellan hopefully on the way today.

Can anyone compare these to the Target Embark Jartop Elite bag? I didn't know about that one but have a Magellan hopefully on the way today.

I have both, and they see pretty similar in quality to me. The Magellan, for what little non disc storage it has, is more than the Jartop. It is also better suited for carrying discs and definitely carries quite a few more discs.

I have a Blue Magellan, carried it a few rounds and decided it really needed a frame. I got some corrugated sign plastic, cut about two inches off the top, rounded the corners then slid it in. It's 100% better in my opinion, the plastic adds almost no weight, and holds the bag up and open. I'm looking for some kind of divider as well, because I don't carry 18-20 discs normally. I have been very impressed with this bag, and actually carried it in a tournament last weekend instead of my normal Innova Discarrier. Sure, it might wear out sooner than a higher dollar bag, but at the price I almost expect that.

Thank you both. My Magellan came today and I took it out for a round. I loved it. Great deal for the price.

I have a Blue Magellan, carried it a few rounds and decided it really needed a frame. I got some corrugated sign plastic, cut about two inches off the top, rounded the corners then slid it in. It's 100% better in my opinion, the plastic adds almost no weight, and holds the bag up and open. I'm looking for some kind of divider as well, because I don't carry 18-20 discs normally. I have been very impressed with this bag, and actually carried it in a tournament last weekend instead of my normal Innova Discarrier. Sure, it might wear out sooner than a higher dollar bag, but at the price I almost expect that.

I need to look at doing this as well. I put about 15 discs in it just to fill it out but I never pulled more than three out the whole round. I think if I filled it up and actually used them I would be fine with no mods. I'm with you, I think I am going to add some stability and dividers and I will be very pleased with my purchase.

This may be a dumb question but where did you get the plastic?

Last edited:
You can get a blank plastic yard sign for about $5 at Home Depot. Makes a big difference.

I had some stitching start to come apart on my straps. I sewed it back together last night. I'm really happy with my bag so far. I've had it for a while and put quite a few rounds on it including many tournament rounds. You do get some looks on the course for sure. People will comment about that $30 bag.

Just wanted to chime in. I bought 2 Magellan bags. One for use and one for when the first one wore out. I have mixed feelings about the bag. On one hand its cost effective and actually a good design. But the materials, stitching and posture of the bag is lacking. Obviously you can cheaply fix these issues with some reinforced stitching, 10$ disc divider and frame work. After playing with mine for 3 months I "upgraded"/disced down to a c-14. The magellen holds a ton of discs and lots of storage space but just wasnt the bag for me. if its any consolation I resold the bag for 20$ so just know you can buy the bag try it and just resell it on CL and not really lose alot.

BTW after my GF double stitched the key points of the bag it was very sturdy.

Finally, the bags most amazing feature is the comfort. It is VERY comfortable

thanks! that is all I wanted to say

VERY comfortable (from a Innova Comp Bag, Grip, and Lat64 owner) but the overall design is rough...

Pros:
•Very comfortable - quick dry material, extra shoulder and lumbar padding
•Plenty of room for about 18-20 discs, towel, 2x 32oz bottles, jacket, umbrella, tri-fold seat, keys, phone, wallet, snacks
•Microfiber electronics pocket
•Ripstop Fabric
•Price! Seriously! $40 vs $200? Not a hard choice...

Cons:
•It absolutely REQUIRES an inner support custom built. I used plastic coat hangers for the first week, then built PVC support.
•The stitching is not terrible, but, definitely not on par with Grip.
•The straps are solid, but, the adjustment slips...
•The bag has tons of space, but, no inner dividers.

After seeing this bag here on DGCR, I was curious... no one can argue 40 dollars is a great price for a backpack...

Ive seen two locally, and yesterday I played a round with a guy who owned one and after taking a closer look at it, I'm convinced this bag would not meet my expectations as far as durability. His bag was purchased this year, and there were seams coming apart, especially at the zipper. He even mentioned that it wasn't that durable. Although the bag played no effect on his game, (after all its just a bag to carry disc) he beat me by a couple shots....

I couldn't recommend this bag for someone that is playing multiple rounds per week, as this guy did, and it showed in wear.

If someone is looking for a disposable bag for a summer, maybe, beyond that Id say its a crap shoot. If they doubled the price to 80 dollars and could build it a little sturdier, THEN id take another look... till then my INNOVA comp bag works just fine.... I will never spend 200 on a bag.. but to each his own.

So after reading every comment in this thread I went out and bought one. I'm coming from the innova comp bag. It held up very will over the last like 8 years. Just time for a change. The bag as is was pretty flimsy. After adding 21 discs it didn't seem too bad. Before my first round I went out and bought the corrugated plastic to make a frame. It held up really well. I still can't decide on where I want to have my putters. The first round was in the front elastic. Ill try the top zipper pocket next round. Also they went back down to the original price of 29.99. I picked up the blue/gray.
11412155_10153020820298691_1939018784390552710_o.jpg

Met up with a guy on the first hole yesterday who was wearing one, and found it funny how I recognized it immediately. Great conversation starter. My single strap bag was bugging me, and the other guy looked more comfortable going up/down steep slopes. Just ordered a blue on for myself this morning.

I did a DIY with the Jartop backpack from Target last year and love it. The only issue is lack of staroage space. After being off the disc golf course for a year due to rotator cuff surgery and rehab, I am stoked to be back out and then discivering this backpack from Academy! I ordered mine last night and cant wait to mod this baby up. :thmbup:

Has the design of this bag changed any since it was first released?

Besides color options...only slightly. The bottle holders are now big enough to hold a Nalgene bottle, which they apparently were not capable of at first.

Pretty much plan on building a frame if you get this. Best $20 I've spent next to the bag itself!

I saw one of these in action a few weeks back and all I can say is keep your $30, these things are pieces of $hit. My buddy who had one wasn't to happy and I could see why, just low quality all around.

Latest posts