• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

Just got this back a few days ago. Played a round with it yesterday. It's my first backpack bag, I wasn't interested in spending very much on one since I wasn't sure I would like to have a backpack over a shoulder bag. I like it over all. It's a little saggy. It's nice feeling balanced weight wise and having both hands and arms completely free while walking.

I went ahead and just made the cpvc frame for the bag. I read that it was a little tight, but I didn't modify any of the dimensions until after I saw how it fit. It was definitely too tight, I didn't even bother to force it in there so I wouldn't mess up my bag. Just trimmed a few pipes down, no problem. It holds 17 discs in the main compartment with no room for more. It's holding quite a few wide rimmed discs though. 3 putters 5 mids and 9 drivers. 1 putter in the top pocket. It's very sturdy now with not much extra weight. It even feels better against my back, can't wait to try it out!!

I had one for a few months, probably about 3 months to be exact. At the time I was playing everyday and it began to just fall completely apart. I figured if bought a new bag at $30 every few months it was worth it. Then I decided that it was just a better idea to kick out the cash and get a nicer bag with more features that was more comfortable. I got a Fossa Tana Pro bag, well worth the asking price and $100's less than some of the other brands. https://www.instagram.com/p/BIVLftUDbkV/?taken-by=disc_golf_lyfe

If you are a very casual player as in once a week or 2 the Magellan will probably last a year.

Yeah, I don't play every day, and I get in and out of disc golf as the year goes. At most I'll play 3 rounds a week. And sometimes I go months without playing at all. If I played more, I would spring for a better bag, but hopefully this one will still last me a while. I don't have it jammed packed and only ever carry one small water bottle. The lower weight should help it hold together longer.

magellan disc golf backpack and vintage lightning bag

error. see marketplace for sale thread

I LOVE this bag!

I've been using this bag for a few months now and I love it! I can buy 5 of these for the price of one. I play a few times/week and have seen very little wear on this bag... water bottle holders are holding up.

I made a few modifications when I first got it that made it much better. I took the hooks off of 2 plastic coat hangers and placed them in each side for support so it stands up. Then I got a universal organizer or "dish rack" at Walmart for $5 and it fits perfectly at the bottom of the bag so it separates my discs. I can fit 4 discs in each section of the organizer which allows me to carry 16 discs in the main department. I carry 2 putters in the front pocket and a floppy putter in the top pocket allowing me to carry 19 discs.

I highly recommend this bag without a doubt, and am shocked on how affordable it is in comparison to the competition.

My hubby got one of these the other day, having just outgrown his Innova Starter bag.

I did coroplast 3-piece inserts, based roughly on the pics on page 30 of this thread.

I can't speak to its longevity yet, obviously, but will keep you all informed as we see how it holds up.

Got it for 2 1/2 years now and it's starting to fall apart.
I used it a lot in the last month in all kinds of weather.
Now the bottle holder seam is opening up a little and the coating on the inner side is peeling away slowly.
Still a good buy and the bag is still holding together very firm with the frame i made.
thinking about getting a new one :)
But still no shipping to Germany :(

I bought the grey one online through Academy. The bag is much darker than the picture shown online. I actually like it more but thought it would be good to note. I attached pictures of what I got and what was shown. I will be making a pvc frame tomorrow.

Attachments

• 14776146708581438227206.jpg
    14776146708581438227206.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 14776146907492010839407.jpg
    14776146907492010839407.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20161027-164147.jpg
    Screenshot_20161027-164147.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 48
If you plan on filling the bag (20ish discs) than don't make the frame. That many won't fit with the frame and with that many disc it stays up just fine.

So I broke down and bought one last week. It looked smaller than I thought and flimsy. It did have some plastic rails on the bottom for protection against ground so thats good. I had some coroplas to use to prop up the bag and it seems to help. I can fit around 20 discs with a big neopreme water bottle and it still felt lighter than my regular bag with straps. I bought some scotch guard and sprayed it with multiple coats for extra protection. Looks and feels like one of the regular bag packs kids use for school, but for the price its still worth it for now. If I like the backpack bags Ill eventually buy a better one.

I got to try one of these over the weekend and the most shocking thing for me was how comfortable it was. :thmbup:

Update: well over a year of heavy use.....300+ rounds and 2 tournaments at crystal mtn..........on its last leg but soo worth 30$

Maybe I'll actually have to try mine out sometime. I've just been carrying my normal bag and haven't messed with the backpack. Maybe on my next long day trip I'll give it a whirl.

Update: well over a year of heavy use.....300+ rounds and 2 tournaments at crystal mtn..........on its last leg but soo worth 30$

I have had mine for about 8 months, averaging about 3 rounds a week and it is still in decent shape a little fraying at one strap. Hella good for $30.

I have found the gray version on the site, but it says only available at select stores.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-deluxe-disc-golf-backpack#repChildCatid=1384755

I noticed that they are carrying another DG backpack bag at the same price point; the "A-Game"

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/agame-disc-golf-backpack#repChildCatid=3973170

Perhaps they are going to phase out the MO Deluxe and go with the A Game BP. Sounds like a new thread is coming, if it's not already here...

;)

I have found the gray version on the site, but it says only available at select stores.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-deluxe-disc-golf-backpack#repChildCatid=1384755

I noticed that they are carrying another DG backpack bag at the same price point; the "A-Game"

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/agame-disc-golf-backpack#repChildCatid=3973170

Perhaps they are going to phase out the MO Deluxe and go with the A Game BP. Sounds like a new thread is coming, if it's not already here...

;)

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for an inexpensive bag with higher capacity than my small bags I've been using. Was considering the Prodigy 30$ backpack or the MVP Beaker, but this AGame bag looks pretty nice for the $$. Two drink holders instead of only one, and the stool slot will work great for stowing my tripod.

Just placed an order for one. I'll do a video review whenever I get a chance to put a few rounds on it.