• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Magic is it for beginners or pros?

ThrowaEnvy

GyrO Activation Technician.
Premium Member
Does the Magic have a place in my bag as a primary putter in the circle or just for technique shots?

Magic's staying in the bag for approaches unless Voodoo gives it concrete shoes. The Magic smoothed out my throw, made me run straight at it instead of anny lobs... but it also catered to my wrist roll, nose up and lobbing habits. I'm missing on the left side of the basket, LHBH, I don't know if it's because I'm snapping too hard for such a short distance or what but I don't dare throw it dead flat unless it's a lob, hyzer only, it prefers nose up throws and doesn't handle nose down throws without turning and that makes it harder to gauge the height especially with wind. It just feels like it's got bad habits, not me.

The 4 Wizards are hitting everything last 2wks, they're more useful in the wind, can be released flat with spin, or annhyzer (naughty! that's why I got away from stable putters). I switched mid round last Sunday to a Wizard and hit the rest of my putts...

I've been seriously playing for 4 years, primarily BH, heavy woods, I can get audible snap. Throw 300' drives, 230' putts, I will always carry at least one Wizard and a Evo Magic (?Maybe Voodoo?) a Comet, a 174 and a 170 Buzzz for my short game. My name is Mike and I am a semi-reformed torque monkey. Anyhow any similar experiences with the Magic upclose? Tell me it's the disc. BTW I work outside, only see a computer at night, thanks.

Last edited:
Are you talking about driving/throwing it that it turns over with nose down? I am curious because I have been driving with just Wizards and Banger-GTs which are a bit more overstable than a Magic and I am waiting for some other putters to try things more like it.

You might want to try to learn to throw it without it crashing, if not, and you dont like it for putting anymore, get rid of it.

Putting or both I would say with no doubt....throwing, probably not as much of a beginner disc, you would probably like a Voodoo or Wizard better for throwing

I just picked one up a few in the last week. I've been carrying a VP and several wizards, and I didn't think I was going to be into them since that's the spot the beat wizards live in and they've had to work hard to get where they are.

Impressions so far:

• it feels really good in my hand with both putting and driving grips
  • from around the circle it putts a bit straighter at the end than a wizard, but its glide doesn't worry me the way a Warlock does
  • it's a less HSS driving putter than a new Wizard, but thrown clean I wouldn't call it understable (kinda like a Comet)
  • it fades dead freakin' spooky straight

These are all pretty new, I don't know what'll happen to them once they ding up, but I'm definitely been enjoying them so far for practice and field driving. I could definitely see them making it into the bag (three putter molds... oh the humanity... ), depending on how they behave once they're worn.

I was also on a card last weekend with someone that's been throwing them since they came out, he said once he felt it in his hand he just knew it was what he was looking for. Indian/arrow references aside, he's no beginner and he did just fine with it. Nikko putts with 'em too, and I hear he's pretty good.

"Magic is it for beginners or pros?"
Depends; do you consider Nikko Locastro a beginner or a pro? They are his primary putter and I saw him tear up Winthrop with them- on putts and approaches- on his way to winning '09 USDGC.

I like them alot but they fit my tastes really well- very neutral to slightly understable (depending on the disc speed,) a little finessey, and glidey. If your style is more in line with stable/overstable putters like Wizards, Voodoos, BB Aviars, Challengers, Rhynos, etc, then you will mostl likely hate the Magic.
Unless you are looking for a compliment to your overstable putter.

Last edited:
Magic is for everybody.

henning.jpg

Daaamn.

I guess it doesn't matter if you can only drive 300' when you can putt 230'.

I know a course where I would finish with just 9 for my score if I could putt like that.

I think he meant, can throw putters that far.

Hey thanks for the response, got up late and out the door now....

I've got one of every putter in the yard, been using the Magic within 40' and from about 75' to 180' (line drive range)... loved it a week after I got it just not sure how touchy it is thrown dead flat I always have to throw it with at least a bit of hyzer. Good observation on the Comet, driving Magics to driving Comets was seamless.

Also had a Wizard for 4 yrs in the bag. They fill different needs in the woods but it's my stable approach and wind putter. I've got the arm/snap to putt with a Zone if I want. Thx

And I have trouble hitting pins when they're 20' in front of me.

Are you talking about driving/throwing it that it turns over with nose down? I am curious because I have been driving with just Wizards and Banger-GTs which are a bit more overstable than a Magic and I am waiting for some other putters to try things more like it.

You might want to try to learn to throw it without it crashing, if not, and you dont like it for putting anymore, get rid of it.

Technohic... the answer is both Magic just doesn't like nose down for me. You will have to pry my glow wizard from my dead hand before it leaves the bag for driving. It's great to drive everyway flat, anny, hyzer, it's stable enough to take it. Magic is a great touch disc, it reacts well to a hyzer flip and nose up throw or an annhyzer but a flat throw becomes annhyzer, if the Voodoo had come out first....I wouldn't have this problem it throws flat well.

I guess my concern is whether or not the Magic's developing bad habits up close. I.E. soft and lofty, nose up etc... I get results with it but not lately and I think it's because my throw and grip are better, but feel free to punch me down a peg.

Last edited:
I straddle putt with Magics and sometimes they're too straight but it's usually me not the disc. I have fingers the length of Vienna sausages so the low profile feels great in my Lilliputian hands.

I straddle putt with Magics and sometimes they're too straight but it's usually me not the disc. I have fingers the length of Vienna sausages so the low profile feels great in my Lilliputian hands.

Haha you always talk about your small hands and fingers. Always makes me think of that BK commercial.

DiscJon would agree with me here: The magic is a really great approach disc. Laser straight. Smooth. Very easy to park.

We both hate it as a putter.

If you want a Magic that's a great putter...I'd suggest an Ion.

\/\/

Yeah I've been real curious about an Ion a lot of people seem to have them in the bag... online anyways. The last thing I need is another putter mold... I'll probably buy one in a couple months. lol

My take on the Magic is that it's for people who can use something like a Wizard, but choose to use a Magic instead. If you can't putt with a Wizard, or KC Aviar, or Challenger, etc., then there's probably something you should be fixining instead.

I'm pretty comfortable Magic or Wizard... use both for approach. Rocked the 3 Magics hard between them I've got 6 aces. My throws improved (I think) and I'm tossing around the idea that I should maybe switch to the Wizard as the prime within 40' putter, based on wind resistance and added stability both to resist some of my snap and to stretch the 70' putts by adding a little anhyzer, rather than line driving the Magic.