• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Magic is it for beginners or pros?

Just get a Magnet and solve all your problems:D

I haven't been around here long but I knew that was comin... I really liked the Magnet but I couldn't get my hands on a Z one and this rocky island trashes soft plastic pretty fast. A group of guys from town used to bring over their worn DX discs to play here and then throw them off the Ferry on the way back.

I was searching threads and it seems like a lot of people dislike the HPP Evolution plastic and there's a lot of people that like Soft.... why the hate? All I have left are HPP Evo and all three of them fly a little different for the same weight. Tell me why you hate it, is it just the way it grabs the chains or is it a different disc?

I like the Evo for cold weather and I can't stand it on unreasonably warm days, I used to have a soft that I switched to but it's gone to a buddy, should I think about a glow one?

I am a beginner, and was lucky to find the magic. I was actually looking for a disc to play night rounds, and all the local guys(Disc Outfitters) had at the time was gateway putters. I picked up a max weight Glow Magic and it shaved about 9 strokes off my game. As an approach, its $$$, dead straight putter, and the only downside is I cant seem to drive with it.

I really love the Magic, it has a permanent (haha) spot in my bag for straight fading putts/approaches, annhyzer putts, threading the needle putts, loft putts especially on steep uphills..... but the lack of wind resistance and not being able to throw a nose down shot predictably was just too much to handle.

I played doubles in the tourney this year with Aussie Craig who's a Rhyno fanatic he noticed that the rim on the Magic and the Rhyno were really similar, short end of the story I borrowed one, bought one, and now it's my goto putter for in the circle 25', hyzer putts, and anything that I want to jam on for control but don't want the distance. It has some very similar flight dynamics, way more stable but much like a Magic 10g heavier.

Magic's still in the bag, but I have to say I outgrew it in the circle. It doesn't cater to a real powerful putt, it's too easy to put too much spin on it, or overthrow it and you can only stall for so long waiting for the wind to die down.

To answer the original question, both. I think it's one of the best beginner discs on the market, but even a pro could benefit from using it as a putter.

The magic is an incredibly straight flying disc. It's unforgiving in a sense when putting because if you roll your wrist over, or aim high and right like one might with an overstable putter, you'll likely miss.

I used wizards for a year and got pretty damn good at putting with them. However I preferred going straight for the basket than a hyzer lob. I bought a magic and after one round of using it I bought 3 more. It suits straight runs at the basket perfectly. Even putting from 120' I find it has incredibly little left to right movement unless I make it follow a curved line to dodge obstacles. If you can release it clean and judge the distance right, you're pretty much guaranteed to sink it.

Driving it has been helping my form tremendously. I still rely on wizards as my go to control driver (320' and in) because I know it so well, but I can get the magic out to 300' on a straight line, just as advertised. I find it takes less power than my wizard to travel the same distance, and fades less at the end. It's much more dependant on clean releases to hold it's line. I also find it very useful for short turnover drives around 275'. Works short anny putts better than my wizards did too.

Summer...it turns me upside down
Summer, summer, summer
It's like a merry-go-round
I see you under the midnight
All satins and bows
High shoes with the cleats a-clickin'
A tempermental glow
But then you let me go
Oh, got a hold on you, got a hold on you, I got a hold on you, tonight
Oh, I got a hold on you, got a hold on you, got a hold on you, that's right

Oh oh it's magic
When I'm with you (Oh-o, it's magic)
Oh oh it's magic, just a little magic (gotta be magic)
You know it's true
I got a hold on you

So twisted...under sideways down
I know you're getting twisted
And you can't calm down
I see you under the midnight
Love darts in your eyes
How far can you take it
Til you realize
There's magic in your eyes
I got a hold on you, got a hold on you, got a hold on you, tonight
I got a hold on you...got a hold on you, I got a hold on you, yeah, oh, yeah, huh

Oh oh it's magic
Oh-oh, When I'm with you (Oh-o, it's magic)
Oh oh it's magic (just a little bit...of magic)
Pulls me through
I got a hold on you (BREAK)

I've got a hold on you, I got a hold on you, got a hold on you.. that's right
It's magic
Oh oh it's magic (Oh-o, it's magic)
When I'm with you (Oh-o, it's magic) Oh-oh
Oh oh it's magic (just a little magic, gotta be magic)
Since I'm with you (Oh-o, it's magic)
Oh oh it's magic (takes a little bit o' magic)
That's true, when I'm with you
Oh, oh, it's magic (gotta be magic)
Your magic pulls me through
Oh-o, it's magic
Oh oh it's magic

Made a 120' uphill anhyzer putt and two 30' headwind hyzer putts today with my magic. Played with it, a wizard and a buzz and shot canton OH 5 under pro par. I love this putter, got some sick birdies today. :)

What I love most about Magics:

1) They give me better feedback on my putts than a more overstable putter that seems to miss short and left all the time.

2) Absolute shiznit for straddle putting. I know what ThrowASurge is talking about with the nose down putts b/c Magics fall like a sinkerball but this can be utilized pretty effectively when you have to putt up and over something.

Made a 120' uphill anhyzer putt and two 30' headwind hyzer putts today with my magic. Played with it, a wizard and a buzz and shot canton OH 5 under pro par. I love this putter, got some sick birdies today. :)

Impressive. and ballsy, as soon as you say wind I lose confidence and shelve my magic for the short ones. It sure has been an amazing disc for better form and putting. I'm real happy two of the other guys with soft backhands have picked up a magic... one of em outputted me bad with a Soft Magic last Sunday, and he just got it last month. Sweeeet.

Impressive. and ballsy, as soon as you say wind I lose confidence and shelve my magic for the short ones. It sure has been an amazing disc for better form and putting. I'm real happy two of the other guys with soft backhands have picked up a magic... one of em outputted me bad with a Soft Magic last Sunday, and he just got it last month. Sweeeet.

Carrying wizards too sometimes I think about putting for them, but I've been trying to putt with just Magics and get a feel for them. Yesterday I was throwing some hyzer putts with them from 30-60 feet and I found they worked just fine for that. In the headwind I threw them with a bit of hyzer and extra nose down, and they traveled dead straight that way.

Here's a picture of the putt I made. Hole #5 at Arboretum Park. Messed up my drive and landed behind the big tree, where normally I'm 3/4 up the hill in front of it or better. I thought, I'll just throw an anny around the tree and park it for a drop in 3. Threw a bit hard and thought it was going to blow by the basket and go down the small hill on the right. Hit chains and stuck, and I was real excited for my surprise deuce :D

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 38
I've been putting with a magic since they came out as a prototype. Black magics. Found 10 more of them around and bought them all up. For longer shots than a putt I have a medium wizard that is money. It came from a certain run about 3 years ago. I was at at tournament about a month ago and saw a guy practicing putting wiht one. I told him "I'm buying that" He kind of laughed at me. I said "I'm serious, I'll trade you a CE firebird for it." I now have a back up twin. Worth every dollar of that CE firebird.

All I know is the magic is money for me.

What's the best plastic for the Magic? I've been using the HPP Evo ones.. I seem to remember my soft one having more fade.

Magics are lasers.

What plastics are you guys using for drives? I love how stable glow plastic is with Wizards, but my glow Magic seems to actually be LESS stable than my Softs. Anyone driven with an Evo (not HPP, they're too damned floppy) or organic Magic?

Thanks for the tip on the Glow plastic, I've been thinking about getting some.. now instead maybe I'll just get that ION.

I use black organic proto magics as driving and approach magics and I couldn't be happier. Bought a stack of 4 since a local store had plenty of them. The plastic is very grippy and has some flex, but it's pretty stiff and holds up well to tree hits. They fly great.

Thanks for the tip on the Glow plastic, I've been thinking about getting some.. now instead maybe I'll just get that ION.

I grabbed up an Ion. I think they fly great. My issue with it is the grip. I'd assumed that the black rubber rim would extend to the inside of the lip - it doesn't.
Instead, it's like a sanded version of the champ/candy portion. It feels like a champion disc when it's dirty. I'm not a fan. But I do think they're worth trying.

Latest posts