• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Magic is it for beginners or pros?

Magics are simply awesome, and for everyone at that. I use them for every putt inside and outside the circle, jump putt too. On approaches, they fly on a rope with a good snap and a tiny bit of hyzer.
I introduced just recently some friends to the game, (6 of them now) and I got them all Magics. Now that my stack is fairly low, we just ordered 20 from the shop! Awaiting them next week end, can't wait to open that box.

I've been hearing about Magics for a while, but never tried them until recently. I guess I always just figured that you could beat a Wizard up and dub it a "Magic". After a few weeks for field testing I'm starting to see the differences between an abused Wiz and slightly used Magic.

I'm really digging it for tight woods approaches and drives. I've been able to consistently park a hyzer flip line at my local course after a few initial prodding attempts with my Magic that I've been attempting/failing for a year with my beat Wiz. There seems to be a lot of potential with this mold, especially as it it continues to season.

I've been hearing about Magics for a while, but never tried them until recently. I guess I always just figured that you could beat a Wizard up and dub it a "Magic". After a few weeks for field testing I'm starting to see the differences between an abused Wiz and slightly used Magic.

I'm really digging it for tight woods approaches and drives. I've been able to consistently park a hyzer flip line at my local course after a few initial prodding attempts with my Magic that I've been attempting/failing for a year with my beat Wiz. There seems to be a lot of potential with this mold, especially as it it continues to season.

A beat to sh** wizard is slightly similar to a brand new magic. But nowhere near the same once the magic is used. I freaking LOVE my magic for jump putts and drives.

A beat to sh** wizard is slightly similar to a brand new magic. But nowhere near the same once the magic is used. I freaking LOVE my magic for jump putts and drives.

Yep, that's pretty spot on. Magics have a little more glide that's about the only difference. I usually bag two Wizards and a Magic for driving duties. The Wizards fill my stable slots and I use the Magic for any shot that requires the disc to flip from a hyzer or touch shots. Once a Wizard beats to the point where it starts turning for me I usually take it out of my bag because I prefer the Magic for that slot.

Let's not forget that Nikko won his first USDGC putting with Magics.

always interested in the agic

what des it compare to? other than a seasoned wizard.

Far from a seasoned Wizard. The Magic is very understable and has no fade. Best glide of the 4 mainstay Gateway putters too.

The Anode has a lot more HSS than the Magic, even worn. Not a good comparison, IMO. The PA4 is, they're very similar.

like I said, beat to hell. A lot of my experience also is with proto magics/pa4s which are a touch more HSS than the 300s pa4 or stock SSS magic I threw. I think the scale is actually a lot like it also but slower and more like the protos im familiar with in flight.

Regardless these are a great putter to learn to drive with and control different angles and fly really well in the circle or up to 300+

I've thrown a lot of Magics over the years and have 2 Anodes, Proton and Neutron. The Magic doesn't have much HSS at all and is less controllable, especially in any wind. The Anode is much more reliable and versatile. Anodes are great approach putters, very straight with excellent glide. As for being beat in, Anodes are dead straight when new, in my experience.

But, basically agree with what you're saying.

It's hard to beat the grip and price of S plastic.

It's just hard to beat Gateway. Period. Great people, great product.

As for the Magic, I don't bag it. It's a great mold, though. They start straight, then beat in to understable. For sure, it doesn't handle nose-down anny lines ... but what understable putter does? It glides well, too (hence, Nikko's putter).

This disc or any disc except maybe a high speed stupid overstable disc. Can be used by anyone. What is the debate here???

The question seems to be whether the Magic is too understable for advanced players to bother with. I think it is. There are a lot of other putters that will handle power better and hold up in the wind better. In fact, almost any other putter will.

The question seems to be whether the Magic is too understable for advanced players to bother with. I think it is. There are a lot of other putters that will handle power better and hold up in the wind better. In fact, almost any other putter will.

Nah, even advanced players can make use, the Magic doesn't even get used for putts much, but at elevator shots, backwards shots, slow floating anny putts, uphill putts that don't fade out much if they miss, and tunnel shot drives it does great.

why isn't it popular for putting

do most people not like extra glide in the circle?

Wrong. Just wrong

Wrong. Just wrong

I get the impression you're a big fan of the Magic, and that's fine. But it's not a very popular throwing putter, and for good reason. Just too understable for anything but straight runs at the basket or anhyzers that won't pan out. And if there's any wind, good luck.