• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Major Presentation this week

Sadjo

* Ace Member *
I have been invited to present Disc Golf to a group of 100 +/- business owners, politicians and community leaders this coming Thursday. They've given me 25 minutes for the presentation and 15 minutes for questions.

I'm bringing three baskets, a mini basket, minis, discs, frisbees and brochures supplied by Innova and the DGA. I will open with the PDGA video Disc Golf, It's in the Air.

What information should be included and what should be excluded from the presentation?

Do you have a link to the video?

Some of the biggest selling points are that disc golf can be played year round, requires less maintenence than other sports and is a lifetime sport (you probably have that covered with the materials you mentioned...)

It might be worth comparing the amount of use a disc golf course can handle compared to other sports installations, a whole lot more people can be simultaneously using a course than can be on a soccer or baseball field or basketball court.

Im not sure whats in your brochures, but bringing up the costs of disc golf course vs tennis courts etc......lower costs for being able to handle more people than tennis courts, volleyball, baseball......etc.

Also if business owners/investors are going to be there, I would mention pay to play as an option for heavily populated areas that can produce a profit.......

Disc golf on golf courses is a possible mention as well. Whether they play within each other or in the same complex

Good luck

Don't forget to let them know its great for physical well being for families/people of all ages.

I've made similar presentations. Here is the document I always give out:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14498/disc golf info.pdf

It is one sheet. The front gives a quick description of disc golf, reasons why it is a good investment for cities, and shows pictures that give the general idea/show a wide variety of people playing. The back gives details on what exactly is needed to have a course, and has pictures of the equipment needed.

I am happy to make minor tweaks (such as putting on your contact info, changing estimated course price, etc...) if you would like to use it.

Growth

Business and community leaders will be interested in growth rate and disc golf community size. We're one of the fastest growing sports.

I've done presentations to park boards, city councils, county commissions and private businesses before. This is the first general audience. When not trying land the sale but instead planting the seed.

Companies are installing them on their land for their corporate wellness goals.

Because of low maintenance, and no need for staffing, disc golf costs very little per person-hour of activity. So, it's one of the cheapest health initiatives around.

Grants may be available from active-living and anti-child obesity funds.

I have been invited to present Disc Golf to a group of 100 +/- business owners, politicians and community leaders this coming Thursday. They've given me 25 minutes for the presentation and 15 minutes for questions.

I'm bringing three baskets, a mini basket, minis, discs, frisbees and brochures supplied by Innova and the DGA. I will open with the PDGA video Disc Golf, It's in the Air.

What information should be included and what should be excluded from the presentation?

As with any presentation, first consider your audience. Here you have adults who don't play the game (at least the vast majority will be non-players).

The biggest draw to this group is the potential for life long activity/exercise. There are lots of sports which are great for kids but very few that are great for adults and senior citizens.

We all should exercise but it is hard to do so just for the sake of exercise alone. Why do most tread mills gather dust? Why do most gym memberships go unused? Disc golf gives you a reason to walk a few miles in the outdoors, year-round, and develop skills which have infinite potential (you can always shoot better tomorrow no matter how well you played today). Unlike exercise where you are timing how long until you can quit, disc golf is so addictive it makes you want to do more.

The many benefits of disc golf make it much more attractive for a beginner than most alternatives, especially compared to ball golf. Low impact, inexpensive, flexible to time constraints, social outlet, etc.

If you can get a disc in the hands of your audience, even just for short range putting, you may win some converts.

Good luck

The audience is a mix of business owners, politicians and community leaders. They meet regularly and I've been invited to be the guest speaker.

I'm bring Frisbees and discs so they can see and feel the difference. I'm bringing a couple of different baskets and plenty of information packets.

Most of folks meeting I know and several I've known for years.

A couple of other points you could make: First, it's a "green" sport that doesn't require chopping down woods, clearing landscape, etc; in fact natural landscape is a win/win for players and the community. Also, if your audience is business/politicians, they probably play ball golf, and you can tell them that the strategy/game management is almost identical to ball golf (Drive for show, putt for dough, approach shot strategy, etc.) so they can mentally get closer to the essence of the game. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

One point I've used in many many many disc golf presentations that I offering to you to borrow...

"Disc golf is extremely environmentally friendly. I want everyone to think about your standard softball league. Now imagine that a player comes in from playing in the field ready to hit, takes a cup and fills it with water and instead of throwing it away, he throws it on the ground. When he goes up to the plate the umpire informs him that he is out and not allowed to bat because he littered. This may sound silly, but in disc golf, unlike almost every other sport, this truly is not unrealistic. The first rule in the disc golf rules of play (and then I hold up the book) goes over what is considered a courtesy warning. Courtesy warnings are, if done multiple times, grounds for automatic disqualification. And then within that rule it states littering is a courtesy violation."

It usually goes over pretty well.

Best of luck!!

a company nearby recently put in 4 baskets on their campus, maybe try contacting them. travel guard in stevens point, wi.

its awesome because when were driving to and from standing rocks you can see the bright blue baskets right off the highway.

Quick question; Seeing as these people have probably no knowledge of disc golf, won't the mini's and mini basket just confuse them? I would leave those at home. I would also set up the basket and ask for a volunteer to try putting and then have a time after the presentation to allow others to give it a go. Bring a stack of wizards. =-) Best of luck........................jerry

Good luck Sadjo!
One point I've used in many many many disc golf presentations that I offering to you to borrow...

"Disc golf is extremely environmentally friendly. I want everyone to think about your standard softball league. Now imagine that a player comes in from playing in the field ready to hit, takes a cup and fills it with water and instead of throwing it away, he throws it on the ground. When he goes up to the plate the umpire informs him that he is out and not allowed to bat because he littered. This may sound silly, but in disc golf, unlike almost every other sport, this truly is not unrealistic. The first rule in the disc golf rules of play (and then I hold up the book) goes over what is considered a courtesy warning. Courtesy warnings are, if done multiple times, grounds for automatic disqualification. And then within that rule it states littering is a courtesy violation."

It usually goes over pretty well.

Best of luck!!

IMHO - littering during tournament play (particularly sanctioned events) isn't much of a problem. As far as DG is concerned, the vast majortity of litter occurs during casual rounds, due to both the number of casual rounds played, and the fact that most people playing in tourneys are generally decent stewards of the game (and by extenstion the environment)... even if only during the tourney itself.

That being said... if this arguement actually helps convince decision makers to say YES to a course, wonderful... it certainly can't hurt the case. I just don't see it as a viable point when weighing the pros and cons of installing a course. I see way too much trash strewn around courses to say that rule has a significant impact in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
focusing on the growth and growing trend of the sport would probably plant the seed pretty well. given worlds was just in charlotte you could draw on those numbers, and issues/benefits surrounding that event.

I think you could consider putting even more emphasis on the fact that it is a "year-round" fitness opportunity. For tennis, basketball, skateboarding, etc., indoor facilities are needed if the park wants to promote year-round use, that's obviously way more expensive. This really distinguishes disc golf from a lot of other park installations.

Latest posts