• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Major Violation?

Had I been the guy bumped to third because of this I would've let everyone watch as I walked to the TDs car in the parking lot then proceeded to poop on his car hood. I would hope for a sunroof, always wanted to do that.

Who drives five hours to a tournament then is late for the second round? A jerk that's who. He should've taken his penalty strokes like a man and that TD should be used as the basket in a ring of fire. I wouldn't play any more of that guy's events.

This is either an attempt at comedy or the words of a sociopath.

shady

To the op...sound like the player who showed up late lied to you that he talked to the td. Has anyone talked to the td before this thread started or is he going to get blindsided?

Its possible but i dont think he lied. We told the td the players name and he personally handed him a merchandise voucher for second place. The other guys on the tbe lead card were more than ok with it. They were all happy with it. I just went along because i didnt think i could do much about it. Plus it didnt affect me anyway.

In my opinion everyone was trying to do what they thought was the nice thing to do. I dont think the player lied nor do i think the td was trying to be anythinv but nice. But it was wrong even if it was done witb good intentions.

If everyone was so nice and OK with it, then why did you start this thread entitled "Major Violation?"

If everyone was so nice and OK with it, then why did you start this thread entitled "Major Violation?"

Because, regardless of how the other players felt about it, it was a major violation.

Even if the majority is fine with someone breaking the rules, that does not give him the right to break them.

(I'm assuming that is what gcanter thinks as well..)

I would have been "that guy." Sorry, that wouldn't have flown with me. Late is late. It happens every tournament.

I don't see how anyone can ever be late anyway. It takes SOOOO long to do a player's meeting, get everyone to their holes, call 2 minutes, call START, play the first hole etc. You could be like 30 minutes late for the pre-round player's meeting and still not get stroked at most of the events I go to.

This guy should have received double par +1 for each hole missed.
Par +4, not double par +1. When you have par 4 and 5 holes, it makes a difference.

And I appreciate what all TD's do out there, but this sort of thing if it indeed happened as stated here, needs to be reported to the PDGA.

Which begs the question has that been done yet, or are we just going to sit here and bitch and moan about it for another 200 replies.
:popcorn:

I have seen this happen before at a tournament I played in. I did not make a big deal over it but wish I would have because it is not fair. It should be par +4 for every hole you miss with no chance to make up the holes. I mean come on, we stroked Schusterick for not adding up his score earlier this year, why in the goodness of the game would we allow this kind of shenanigans to happen?

In my opinion everyone was trying to do what they thought was the nice thing to do.

Whoever that TD is, i would love to find out. If I ever have a bad hole or bad round during a tournament, I can just ask for a redo. I am sure to finish in the top with that TD! :thmbup:

I am starting to like this sport less and less...

A Big Mistake

I was made aware of this post and felt it necessary to reply due to the unusual circumstances. I made an error on the second round start time by cutting lunch 10 minutes short. I did tell them that they could make up 2 holes missed (not 4) due to the fact that the error was mine that they started late. In hind site I should have addressed each card in effect personally to tell them the reason behind my decision.

On another note, if anyone feels that they were slighted in the payout due to this let me know and we will work things out.

Sorry for the confusion, but I felt it was the fair call to make based on the fact that I made the error that caused the players to be late, not them.

Any complaints? Let 'em fly, I can take it.

So you told the player the wrong time and you feel he missed 2 holes due to your mistake, but not 4.
if this were the case, why didd you not tell the group this when they came to you?

im ok with it.

I was made aware of this post and felt it necessary to reply due to the unusual circumstances. I made an error on the second round start time by cutting lunch 10 minutes short. I did tell them that they could make up 2 holes missed (not 4) due to the fact that the error was mine that they started late. In hind site I should have addressed each card in effect personally to tell them the reason behind my decision.

On another note, if anyone feels that they were slighted in the payout due to this let me know and we will work things out.

Sorry for the confusion, but I felt it was the fair call to make based on the fact that I made the error that caused the players to be late, not them.

Im glad you addressed this to clear things up. I never meant for it to get out of hand like it did. Heck i didnt mention the tournament, course or anything but i guess people put the pieces together. Im not upset but if he had finished ahead of me i would have been. With that said the other guys on the top card seemed more than ok with it. I felt awkward with the situation but i didnt want to rock the boat as i wasnt 100 percent sure what pdga rules dictated. I was really looking for clarification on the situation so i would know incase it ever happened to me again somewhere else. I still enjoyed the tourney and will play another if i get the chance.

Sorry, but the TD cannot make a rules call like this after the round started.

Maybe the PDGA should set some better standards for TDs so that inexperienced members don't get themselves in a bind like this.

you must have 3 players on a card minimum for a legit round. If he played some holes solo, they are not legit

Stuff like this is why my first tournament earlier this month will also most likely be my last tournament I ever play

The disorganization and questionable assessment of the rules is too much for someone like me to enjoy.

Stuff like this is why my first tournament earlier this month will also most likely be my last tournament I ever play

The disorganization and questionable assessment of the rules is too much for someone like me to enjoy.

This is a rare occation. Don't let it disuade you from playing. I've played 50 events and only seen a few issues where rules were not followed and the TD had to make a call. Maybe once or twice I didnt agree with the TD. Like #14 ACROSS the creek being in bounds at Kilborne...lol...

Look, lots of people marshalling the Masters screwed up the Tiger Woods OB ruling and then they gave him strokes when a fan called in. Its a crazy thing but Chuck can easily report the mistake, correct the score with the PDGA to par +4 for the first 4 holes. How he pays out is his own issue. This player should be knocked back to where he should have finished with the corrected penalties. Anyone can make a mistake, however, the official scoring should reflect the true scores.

As someone who has run dozens of tournaments in the state of North Carolina over the years, and as someone whom I worked with last year for the 2012 Amateur & Professional World Championships in Charlotte, and whom I will serve underneath as Scoring Director at this weekend's Tim Selinske US Masters Championships in Burlington, I know Chuckster as a TD and person of the highest integrity who deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

I can completely sympathize with the decision to allow players to finish holes missed because of a miscommunication over when lunch ended and when the 2nd round would begin. Imo, the only egregious violations here would be if the players were indeed originally told to assign par +3 to the player's score (and not par +4, as per the rules) and if the player was allowed to finish these holes solo, and without an observer. These "facts" have yet to be proven and so again, I'd like to see folks give Chuckster the benefit of the doubt until the situation is resolved in full.

just my $.02

I commend your for coming here and addressing your mistake Chuckster.
Its not easy to throw yourself to the wolves I imagine.

That said, I hope you have learned from this and will take the necessary steps to ensure that if it does happen again, its not your fault and it gets addressed properly.

Latest posts