• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making my own backpack from scratch; feature ideas?

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
I've got an industrial sewing machine, some basic upholstery skills, and I didn't fall in love with many of the bags out there. So I'm thinking of having some fun and making my own! :)

I'm in the design phase right now and I want to see if anybody has any must-have features or definitely-want features they want to share. Or even just design ideas in general.

• I'm deciding if I want to make it out of a waterproof material or if I should make a rain fly for it--I think I'd prefer just doing it up in all waterproof material but didn't know if I'd run into anything I hadn't thought about with that design choice.
  • I think it would be really awesome if I made it modular so I can just take the discs out for a quick game and leave behind all the extra storage.
  • I'm also thinking about making it "backwards" and putting the disc compartment on the "backside" of the backpack where the straps are, so that I can put whatever extra storage compartments I want on the "front" of the bag and keep the heavy weight of the discs close to my back instead of putting it further out.
  • I'm thinking of making the bottom trapezoidal/almost triangular for added stability on hillsides.
  • This also got me thinking about making the shape of the bag so that it sits on the ground like a pyramid almost, which would keep all the weight centered and low to the ground and add yet more stability (I have some steep hills on my local courses in case you were thinking this was overkill lol).
  • Adjustable-size, insulated water bottle pocket(s) with grommets for drainage.
  • A cell phone pocket on the left shoulder strap for super easy access between holes to keep track of score.
  • Lots of cushioning for the back.
  • One thing I'm not sure of is the straps. Whether I'll make them or if buying some are a good solution. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I've got an industrial sewing machine, some basic upholstery skills, and I didn't fall in love with many of the bags out there. So I'm thinking of having some fun and making my own! :)

I'm in the design phase right now and I want to see if anybody has any must-have features or definitely-want features they want to share. Or even just design ideas in general.

• I'm deciding if I want to make it out of a waterproof material or if I should make a rain fly for it--I think I'd prefer just doing it up in all waterproof material but didn't know if I'd run into anything I hadn't thought about with that design choice.

• Only issue I would see is making all seams easy to seal effectively while still being easy to use when it is not raining. With a rain fly, you can deal with the extra time spent when accessing the bags but I'm not sure you'd want to deal with the hassle all the time.

[*]I think it would be really awesome if I made it modular so I can just take the discs out for a quick game and leave behind all the extra storage.
    Interesting idea - this could be cool.

[*]I'm also thinking about making it "backwards" and putting the disc compartment on the "backside" of the backpack where the straps are, so that I can put whatever extra storage compartments I want on the "front" of the bag and keep the heavy weight of the discs close to my back instead of putting it further out.

I would worry about how to incorporate this in a way that is still comfortable. I'd much rather have a nice flat back with lots of padding.

[*]A cell phone pocket on the left shoulder strap for super easy access between holes to keep track of score.
    +1 on this - I'd like to see it more often.

One feature I haven't seen in a bag yet is a dedicated spot for a Golden Retriever. I'd like it to be away from everything else, its own special spot, fit snuggly, have excellent drainage, but also be exposed to the air so that it dries better. My Golden Retriever comes out of the creeks covered in mud and gunk, soaking wet. I don't want it neither anything else. I want it to dry in the open air.

To that end, I'd suggest a special mesh pocket, long and narrow, along some outer edge of the bag, ideally vertical. The air would help dry it out the rest of the round, the mesh lets it drain, and the private pocket protects it from everything else.

Your phone suggestion is interesting. I use my phone for scoring (and keep threatening to finally write my own app that does what I want). I normally would never put my phone anywhere other than my pocket, but that's a clever idea to have it up high. I like also that it wouldn't be mixed in with your keys (so no scratches).

[...]
I would worry about how to incorporate this in a way that is still comfortable. I'd much rather have a nice flat back with lots of padding.
[...]

I was thinking of adding some thick padding below and above where the discs would be so that it would provide a good cushion. Probably some good 2" thick foam.

I had just decided to do this also. I do custom leather and mine will be covered with hand tooled designs (I got permission from skulboy to use some of his as long as it is personal use) I also have to hand stitch everything as I don't have a machine. Still workibg on features and basic design also.

Some features I have decided on. Putter pocket holding 2 or 3 putters on the side where I can easily reach it without taking my bag off, a stool /umbrella holder, and I am skipping cup holders and making a spot in the back for a water bladder. Cell phone holder on shoulder strap is a pretty good idea

Love the modular idea and feel the exact same way about the golden retriever. Seems almost ridiculous no one has addressed this yet. The water bottle holders are a must, at least one. Not everyone wants to deal with a bladder. Great option to have, but shouldn't be the only option to carry water. Cell phone pocket on the strap is pretty sweet too.

Forget about the backwards disc pocket. This will not reduce your pull on the load; it will just make it awkward. Look at both modern, high dollar day packs as well as some Vietnam era internal frame packs to get an idea of how to balance the weight.

Ok so this has some wheels turning for me - which is dangerous. What material & thread are you using? I may just be forced to get creative myself.

If the bag is for production then definitely go with water bottle pockets. If you are going for your own personal bag, then you can think outside the norm and establish whether you really need something that is standard on most bags. I persoanlly never carrg a water bottle, but will begin playing tournaments this year. With that in mind, it will be easier I think for a camelbak pocket, than for water bottle pockets I wouldn't use.

Some features I have decided on. Putter pocket holding 2 or 3 putters on the side where I can easily reach it without taking my bag off, a stool /umbrella holder, and I am skipping cup holders and making a spot in the back for a water bladder. Cell phone holder on shoulder strap is a pretty good idea

I almost didn't want to add a putter pocket but just recently my too-small-for-disc-golf laptop backpack warped my putter (because I crammed too many discs in), so I'm going to add a pocket or quiver for 2-3 putters as well.

The water bladder is an interesting idea! I'm going to think about that. I've always wanted one. I'm still going to keep a water bottle pocket and I was honestly thinking about adding an insulated compartment that can hold a can or bottle and some refrigerated snacks.

Ok so this has some wheels turning for me - which is dangerous. What material & thread are you using? I may just be forced to get creative myself.

I haven't researched the materials yet but I saw that polyester thread is used in sails because of it's strength and ability to stay strong even with constant UV exposure... so I'm thinking of using that. Maybe you are more knowledgeable about materials, but would a high denier nylon be essentially waterproof? I'm going to have to do some research for sure.

------

I don't carry a golden retriever (no water holes near me) but the idea for that pocket seems like it would be easy to add on later if I wanted it, so I won't plan for it for now but I can always add it later.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to have the disc compartment on the inside against my back rather than on the outside. Maybe when I draw my sketch out of it I'll upload it here and you can see what I'm envisioning clearer.

You can make a dense nylon waterproof by spraying it with Kiwi Camp Dry. I've been using it on my non waterproof shoes and not a drop gets in. It's amazing stuff. As long as the material is closely woven this stuff takes care of the rest. I reapply a coat every couple weeks even though I haven't seen a degradation. I may test this year how long I can go without reapplying though I do hate wet feet.

Latest posts