• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako3

Does it warp pretty easily?

I haven't had any bad tree hits, but I assume that they will warp if you hit a tree with any speed behind the disc. It's a utility slot for me, so I throw it once or twice per round. At that rate, the disc should last me a while. Ideally I'd like to have the slot filled with a really beat premium plastic, but I'm really enjoying the XT for now.

I got to the field to throw the new color glow Mako3 today. It's pretty much what I hoped for. Laser straight out of the box, with a tiny fade at the end. Into a slight headwind it turned over a bit but still fought out to finish straight. My goal is to beat it into my flippy mid slot which is currently filled by an XT Mako3.

I'm going to keep telling you all about my XT Mako3. After the initial break-in period, it hasn't really gotten much more flippy. It's flippy, yes, but perfectly so. I've been liking it so much that I got a couple of the Galactic XT Mako3s that DGU just released. Looks like I'll be cycling these XTs for a little while, although I do hope I beat a premium one into an effortless hyzer-flip machine.

On a lark, I picked up a Halo Mako3 from a buddy selling from his trunk. It had a sharkskin grey halo color.

I used to throw a star Mako3, and loved it. But in the quest to eliminate discs, the Hex replaced it.

My initial thoughts after some fieldwork are that I might add it to the bag. Here's why.

Distance is a plus. Goes far. Not much different than a Teebird, which goes plenty far.

Shape is Envy-like. Meaning that it doesn't easily flip (it didn't flip period in the field) and has that error-curbing shape. Stays straight and quits late.

Halo plastic, in my experience, has been wind-resilient. I look forward to more fieldwork.

In my mind, it's kind of like the Envy's shape and Teebird distance. What's not to love?

I'm pretty set on my bag, but I'm intrigued enough that this will get extended fieldwork and a possible roster spot.

Still a crappy FH disc, but I remember being very confident with it on steeper anny lines. I remember it having great lateral penetration on anny. The test will be wind stability.

On a lark, I picked up a Halo Mako3 from a buddy selling from his trunk. It had a sharkskin grey halo color.

I used to throw a star Mako3, and loved it. But in the quest to eliminate discs, the Hex replaced it.

My initial thoughts after some fieldwork are that I might add it to the bag. Here's why.

Distance is a plus. Goes far. Not much different than a Teebird, which goes plenty far.

Shape is Envy-like. Meaning that it doesn't easily flip (it didn't flip period in the field) and has that error-curbing shape. Stays straight and quits late.

Halo plastic, in my experience, has been wind-resilient. I look forward to more fieldwork.

In my mind, it's kind of like the Envy's shape and Teebird distance. What's not to love?

I'm pretty set on my bag, but I'm intrigued enough that this will get extended fieldwork and a possible roster spot.

Still a crappy FH disc, but I remember being very confident with it on steeper anny lines. I remember it having great lateral penetration on anny. The test will be wind stability.

Mako3's are awesome. Give it a whirl on the hyzer-flip forehand. It works wonders that way.

I love hyzerflipping a mako3 on a forehand, needs a clean release though. The XT will flip up alot easier then the premium plastic on shorter distances.

I like mako3s as much as the next person (probably a bit more than the average frolfer even), but I also get a noticeable separation with Teebirds.

I might not be able to throw a max weight, splatter star Teebird much further than a Mako3, but with a more neutral Teebird I can average almost 50' of separation.

For me, I place Mako3s just under 300' on average, and a neutral Teebird just over 325' on average. I can only get just over 300' on a beefy Teebird though.

And I also find Envies more forgiving than a Mako3 (but not quite as far). Overmold putters especially do have some real gyro effect in my opinion. So envies lock on their line and ignore wind better than makos for me. But I do know what you mean about makos being forgiving. I don't have to worry about getting a perfect snap to get a straight flight out of a Mako.

Mako3's replaced my Roc cycle and are much more comfortable forehand. I carry a well used 168g Star and a new-ish 180g Star.

Im a Roc3 thrower and they used to occupy all of my mid slots. The yellow one in my profile pic is the most beat in one and has a good combo of drifting turn and gentle fade. This year I got myself a flat max-weight Star Mako3 (seriously only get the flattest ones you can find, ones with a little dome are turds that are too OS for Mako3 shots) in case I ever lose my yellow Star Roc3.

The Mako3 is really good for holding long and high annies, something I also use neutral putters for, as it doesnt fight out of the line. It is also good for gentle left to right shots and shots with a low ceiling as it glides effortlessly and much better than a Roc3 would. Throwing the Mako3 it is much more of a touch shot where you gotta give it a gentle push and a suggestion as to the line you request it to preferably fly. It can also be manipulated for gentle hyzers at the end and can generally be manipulated into tighter lines than a Roc3.

But the Mako3 is also really sensible to changes in nose angle, height and power. Using it for a shot you gotta be really precise. It also means it can be manipulated for a lot of shots but those are difficult to hit. Slight misses can mean it will push the left to right line till the end, missing way to the right. That is where the beat-in Roc3 comes in. It has some fade which will correct misses on left to right lines and with its drifting turn it can also the left to right lines quite well. It cannot fly high anny lines like the Mako3 though. Mako3 is a great disc for those who like to manipulate their disc, but I suspect throwing something like a beat-in Roc3 is the easier shot. Im gonna replace that Mako3 with a dx Roc3 for that reason and see how that works out.

The Mako3 is a great. Its the first disc I give to new players besides a putter. Its very easy to use well so you can have fun and gain confidence right away, but also shows you what your throw is doing. Its also Innova which is super accessible in case they catch the bug.

I can get a ton of distance out of mako3-like flat topped neutral mids as well. They are some of the longest discs in my bag outside of dedicated max distance drivers. Ive flipped Truths out near 400 through tree coridoors at Pier. My distance drivers dont do much more than that.

As for shot shaping, I find that switching between Roc and Mako wing patterns requires a little bit of a change in shaping strategy.

IME concave rim + beed, like Rocs will allow you to have more of an S-curve flight shape. Turn and fade pan the disc. I dont use these much. I dont like the feel, and tend to use OS discs on forced flex lines for this shape. I find the flex to be more reliable for me anyway.

Constant angle beedless, like Mako3s will tend to stay on a consistent line. Turn and fade drift the disc instead of panning. I think that's also what makes this wing and sail pattern so good for hyzerflip distance.

Last edited:
IME concave rim + beed, like Rocs will allow you to have more of an S-curve flight shape. Turn and fade pan the disc. I dont use these much. I dont like the feel, and tend to use OS discs on forced flex lines for this shape. I find the flex to be more reliable for me anyway.

Constant angle beedless, like Mako3s will tend to stay on a consistent line. Turn and fade drift the disc instead of panning. I think that's also what makes this wing and sail pattern so good for hyzerflip distance.
Thats a nice observation, Im gonna see how it works out with my Hawkeye as well as Im not getting along with that one as well.

Might also be why the Mako3 is a bit inconsistent for me. I really want to release most stuff on hyzer and when releasing flatter to anny the Mako3 gets a little too much and just goes right whereas the Roc3 would deal with my mistake.

About getting mids really far: I also get that but maybe not to the extremes you are describing. Mids go about 330 feet on a mostly straight line. I never tried how much distance they can do on a hyzer flip. Drives that fly and S-curse get about 70 feet of added distance on lines that have much more movement.

You have an interesting decision point here -

1) pick a disc with a more reliable finish to make sure you end up where you want.
b) practice controlling angles. If you want to throw it harder, add more hyzer. Learning touch with a neutral mid is one of the best skills you can have.

My advice is both. If competing 1. If learning b.

You have an interesting decision point here -

1) pick a disc with a more reliable finish to make sure you end up where you want.
b) practice controlling angles. If you want to throw it harder, add more hyzer. Learning touch with a neutral mid is one of the best skills you can have.

My advice is both. If competing 1. If learning b.
I've given this some consideration and there are some lines that are much harder to throw with a Roc3 than a Mako3. The Mako3 just floats and glides so easily on neutral/light anny shots. It can also fly much higher lines and hold them like a longer beat-in putter.

I got myself a flat topped dx Roc though and will see how well that one beats in to a similar stability like the Mako3. Right now it is way too overstable and I will just play with it so it bangs some trees until it develops some good turn/loses its stability.

I like your thought process. IMO you're doing the right things too learn and build a bag that's going to help you.

I dont know how you feel about it, but learning to shape shots with different discs is one of the most fun things about disc golf to me.

Out of curiosity, do you feel like you have pretty good control of your release angle? When I started playing I had a hard time with this. Playing a putter only round can help you learn how to throw smooth and keep your intended angle on release since discs like that "show your flaws." It might not be my highest scoring rounds, but Ive learned and improved a lot that way.

I like your thought process. IMO you're doing the right things too learn and build a bag that's going to help you.

I dont know how you feel about it, but learning to shape shots with different discs is one of the most fun things about disc golf to me.

Out of curiosity, do you feel like you have pretty good control of your release angle? When I started playing I had a hard time with this. Playing a putter only round can help you learn how to throw smooth and keep your intended angle on release since discs like that "show your flaws." It might not be my highest scoring rounds, but Ive learned and improved a lot that way.
About different discs: I'm in the camp that romanticizes mould minimalism as I started to play when Paul McBeth released his ridiculous ITB's where he just stuffed it with 10 Roc3s. So I mostly default to just building a bag with the tried and true moulds I have come to like and thus dont try and play the same line with a different disc.

About release angles: it really depends here. My misses in genereal are usually right and high. I can control my hyzers just fine and scale them up to ridiculously high and steep. I can also play really high and long annies just fine. That baby anny like a flex shot is what I really struggle with as those usually miss to the right and I have an inclination to put those high. Low annies are really difficult. That is also where the Mako3 comes in. When I use it for low left to right lines it is uncomfortably close to flat and I would prefer something that I can release on more hyzer. Those shots will usually miss to the right.

Playing putters comes easy to me and at times I have played every local hole with a putter. I would have no difficulty just playing every line with an Opto Pure and have actually left that one at home because I threw it too much. Whats most difficult to me is playing anything that is not a hyzer with an OS disc. Im just realising we seem to have very different games here where you actually like flex lines and have (telling from your signature) a mostly OS bag. Maybe I should actually try and play a round with a Zone or something and squeeze lines out of that thing.

Latest posts