• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Male or Female advice...

dlk33

Par Member
I've noticed that on many of my posts, the suggestions made seem to be addressed as if I were a male, but I'm a female. I want to know if the advice everyone gives would be different if you knew a female was asking the question?

Depends on what you're asking...since this is the equipment thread it might be a good thing to know...(there's a joke in there...dig for it.) ;)

Oh and for a real answer, yes and no...I don't think it matters much...my wife throws discs and weights that guys throw....though form questions are probably better handled by other women.

I've noticed that on many of my posts, the suggestions made seem to be addressed as if I were a male, but I'm a female. I want to know if the advice everyone gives would be different if you knew a female was asking the question?

It depends on what type of girl you are. If you're like my wife you want to know the correct way to do things so you can compete on a high level. If you're like my sister in law you just want to hang out and are happy throwing 150 leopards because they're easier for a girl and your husband makes every hole a par 4 for you so you can compete without having to try real hard.

Nope doesn't change much at all. Watched a female kick a bunch of guys butts at an Ace Race this past weekend.

I knew you were a chica. I don't blatantly assume that all chicks should be throwing 150 class discs either.

I saw your post earlier and was wondering, but it doesnt matter the gender, it matters only the arm strength and technique. If you say you throw a certain disc one way, thats what I would go off of.

I guess I really should have posted this question on the general topic, instead of equipment. I do think a lot of guys view a females ability to thow differently then a males. I think it's all relative to experience & age though, male or female. Although I'm pretty sure a male pro will have a longer drive then a pro female. Of course we all know distance is only part of the game:)

I base advice solely on how you say you already throw, and the discs you use, no matter what gender or how old you are. Now, if you ask for woman-specific advice, I'll usually see what my gf has to say about it, then add my own 2 cents from my experiences teaching her and some of her friends.

Like has been said it has more to do with experience, technique and power. However, using stereotypes (I know those are bad but sometimes helpful) a lot can be conveyed by a simple statement. For example...I am a 29 year old male playing for less than two years. From that statement a lot can be assumed, I probably have decent power but not very good technique, I should probably not be using 150 discs as my primary drivers anymore, I should be able to throw the disc more than 200ft. Of course these statements could be false but more than likely they are true for a person my age and level of experience.

in general woman have less snap,pop,spin or whatever you want to call it , so i would ask a woman more questions about their abillity before i answer a question. And i would be less likely to suggest an overstable disc for woman.

Haha, that was Alicia. She also won one of the discs in the CTP. I bet she'd spank more than half the guys in these forums on the course.

i would be happy to let her spank me, and it isnt about power its more about experience ;)

Good mechanics are good mechanics and the laws of physics apply the same to both genders. Therefore if the advice has to do with form, it should be non-gender specific.

I could see advice about disc choice being influnced by gender, but it should really be influenced by throwing style and distances thrown. If someone's throwing a 170g Valk 175 ft, they might benefit from a lighter disc, whether male or female. It's just that you're not going to find too many men topping out at 175ft with a 170g Valk.

in general woman have less snap,pop,spin or whatever you want to call it , so i would ask a woman more questions about their abillity before i answer a question. And i would be less likely to suggest an overstable disc for woman.

But they look a lot better on the tee pad.

On a long hole I notice a difference on the second shot. When I have to throw harder I lose my accuracy where as if my b/f landed in my same spot he could throw less disc with less effort therefore he is more accurate. Other than that there isn't much difference between my game and the boys.

When I was first learning to play my b/f would tell me I need to pull through tight to my body. But I would tell him I have two things in the way ;)

On a long hole I notice a difference on the second shot. When I have to throw harder I lose my accuracy where as if my b/f landed in my same spot he could throw less disc with less effort therefore he is more accurate. Other than that there isn't much difference between my game and the boys.

When I was first learning to play my b/f would tell me I need to pull through tight to my body. But I would tell him I have two things in the way ;)

It's not easy being a female, is it:) Thanks for the excuse that I can now give my husband when he beats me! It's not my fault, I'm playing my best, but there are two huge things in my way everytime I thow, lol.

My wife says the same thing...it really must be hard to get it right...she has a respectable throw though.

You are right about the 2nd shot, she doesn't seem to be able to drive when not on the tee, everything is an approach even if it warrants a drive...thanks for helping me realize that...it might take some strokes off.