• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Max Distance Needed To Be 1000 Rated?

How Far Do You Have To Throw To Be 1000 Rated?

• Total voters
Cam is a world champion and during the 2000s was one of the biggest arms on tour. He is a great putter because he practiced a lot but even more so because his hands and all of the tendons/ligaments/muscles moving them are incredibly strong from 10000 + hours of practice and natural athletic ability.

Which is the same reasons why Paul Ricky Simon Eagle are the best putters too.

Power has very little correlation with training. It is very different from strength.
With training, I can double my strength; regardless how many hours I put in, I will never double my vert leap.
All those hours of practice will make one more accurate though.

We know Paul has a good leap, we did see him a couple weeks ago snatch that disc out of a tree.
:D

If the player only intends to compete on courses with holes under 350 (and they do exist), then they absolutely can reach 1000.

Where are these guys? Name a 350 max guy who is 1000 rated. This player is completely theoretical because he doesn't exist, so to say they "absolutely" can is nonsense.

In theory could a 350 max guy, who was one of the best putters in the world, carefully select courses to play and achieve a player rating of 1000? Maybe, but this is such a level of mental gymnastics that it really no longer seems to appropriately address the question. In realistic terms you have to throw far to be rated 1000+

Where are these guys? Name a 350 max guy who is 1000 rated. This player is completely theoretical because he doesn't exist, so to say they "absolutely" can is nonsense.

In theory could a 350 max guy, who was one of the best putters in the world, carefully select courses to play and achieve a player rating of 1000? Maybe, but this is such a level of mental gymnastics that it really no longer seems to appropriately address the question. In realistic terms you have to throw far to be rated 1000+

Locally, Erik Smith was 1000 rated for a while without much more than 350 golf distance.

Because its almost impossible to have the other skills needed to be 1000 rated and only be able to throw 200. I could take a putter and throw 1000 rated rounds. Throwing max 250. Especially if the course is max 250ft holes. A local here was 1000 rated or very close for years. 14 wins $10,000 career earnings. Rarely throws much over 300. Hunter Todd.
Unfortunately hes not current.

Because its almost impossible to have the other skills needed to be 1000 rated and only be able to throw 200. I could take a putter and throw 1000 rated rounds. Throwing max 250. Especially if the course is max 250ft holes. A local here was 1000 rated or very close for years. 14 wins $10,000 career earnings. Rarely throws much over 300. Hunter Todd.
Unfortunately hes not current.

yep- Hunter is another one- from banbury's second home town (richmond) as a matter of fact.

Because its almost impossible to have the other skills needed to be 1000 rated and only be able to throw 200. I could take a putter and throw 1000 rated rounds. Throwing max 250. Especially if the course is max 250ft holes.

Or a bunch of 500 foot holes where the vast majority of the big arms are going to get the same 3's as our theoretical player.

Specifically, what aspect of your game suffer the most because you can't practice enough? Is it distance or putting or accuracy?

Putting accuracy. In my experience muscle memory with big muscle groups and full body movements lasts a long time. Finer ones like what your hands do while putting take more regular maintenance.

I was a college baseball player and if you tell
Me today to go throw cutters and sinkers it's still very easy and I an still throw pretty hard even though I've not been in a game in 8 years.

A slider I can still do, but it would take me a bit to get as accurate as I would need to be in a game.

It's sort of the same way with putting. That and some injures have made me change my putt and it's been harder for find a comfortable stance since then.

Looks like a couple have been named, Yeti is likely another, how about LL? Why is this so hard to comprehend, to me its the easiest way to attain 1000, no mental gymnastics at all.....short courses...putt lights out = 1000+.

Putting accuracy. In my experience muscle memory with big muscle groups and full body movements lasts a long time. Finer ones like what your hands do while putting take more regular maintenance.

I was a college baseball player and if you tell
Me today to go throw cutters and sinkers it's still very easy and I an still throw pretty hard even though I've not been in a game in 8 years.

A slider I can still do, but it would take me a bit to get as accurate as I would need to be in a game.

It's sort of the same way with putting. That and some injures have made me change my putt and it's been harder for find a comfortable stance since then.

Thank you, so it's not distance, but putting accuracy that keeps you from breaking 970. I'll bet you could go out and throw 450 anytime with just a few warm-ups.

Looks like a couple have been named, Yeti is likely another, how about LL? Why is this so hard to comprehend, to me its the easiest way to attain 1000, no mental gymnastics at all.....short courses...putt lights out = 1000+.

Actually zero current players that are currently 1000 rated players have been named. I have played with both Eric and Hunter and would give them both more than 350'. Yeti is not 1000 rated either, but regardless he is a multiple time putting world champion, making the case that he is one of the best short game players in the world. So to say that this is the easiest path to 1000 rated is just not true.

The easiest way is to throw far and then be pretty good at everything else. The replies that it is possible to throw 1000 rated rounds with a putter or without distance are true but have nothing to do with being a 1000 rated player. I maxed out at 350' for the first 4 seasons i competed and i threw a 1029 rated round during that period. I was consistent and accurate up to 330' or so and did well in competitive play. But there was no way play a regular tournament schedule, be that short off the tee, and get close to 1000 rated.

Last edited:
The newbie notion (and sometimes the established notion) is often that the singular most important skill is gaining distance. I've never seen a top player whose primary skill was distance. Yeah, they throw far, but what makes their game is the middle game and putting. Typically, where Paul, Ricky, Eagle and Simon go wrong is their long game. They push it too hard and end up OB or in trouble.

I don't think that anyone thinks that throwing long isn't important, but I don't think it is the most important thing. One doesn't have to look farther than the top guys. Ricky and Paul are very long, but they aren't Drew, Simon, Eagle, Wiggins etc. Yet somehow they manage to win. John E. is even shorter, and yet is a very substantial player. As others have mentioned, Nate, Nate, and others are long but nowhere near really long, and yet they are top notch.

If we narrow the discussion to just the idea of hitting 1,000 and we do an experiment, two pools of young players. One pool spends all their time working on long drives, the other spends all their time working on their short game and putting, who is going to hit 1,000 the most often? Who will get there first? Do the skills sets cross apply?

The adage, drive for show, putt for doe is old and yet still relevant.

I have scores for 1000-rated players for 34 holes that are 390-410 feet in length. On those holes, 15% got 2s and the average score was 3.2.

I think this stat is pretty important. It means that if you get your distance up from 350' to 400', you are still only getting a fraction of a stroke per hole in that range.

There are a lot of assumptions going on here about if you throw longer your shorter throws will be more accurate. I don't think that is always the case. Taken purely as a single metric, the maximum distance you can throw, I would say it has very little overall effect on scoring when compared to putting percentage. Sure if you attribute a whole myriad of other side effects it helps a ton, but the thread didn't ask that, it merely asked about the required max distance to be 1000 rated.

Actually zero current players that are currently 1000 rated players have been named. I have played with both Eric and Hunter and would give them both more than 350'. Yeti is not 1000 rated either, but regardless he is a multiple time putting world champion, making the case that he is one of the best short game players in the world. So to say that this is the easiest path to 1000 rated is just not true.

The easiest way is to throw far and then be pretty good at everything else. The replies that it is possible to throw 1000 rated rounds with a putter or without distance are true but have nothing to do with being a 1000 rated player. I maxed out at 350' for the first 4 seasons i competed and i threw a 1029 rated round during that period. I was consistent and accurate up to 330' or so and did well in competitive play. But there was no way play a regular tournament schedule, be that short off the tee, and get close to 1000 rated.

Not if you're just "pretty good" at everything but throwing far, which is your strategy.

I never said current, Yeti was rated 1000+ from 2005 to 2015 so it is true.

The newbie notion (and sometimes the established notion) is often that the singular most important skill is gaining distance. I've never seen a top player whose primary skill was distance. Yeah, they throw far, but what makes their game is the middle game and putting. Typically, where Paul, Ricky, Eagle and Simon go wrong is their long game. They push it too hard and end up OB or in trouble.

I don't think that anyone thinks that throwing long isn't important, but I don't think it is the most important thing. One doesn't have to look farther than the top guys. Ricky and Paul are very long, but they aren't Drew, Simon, Eagle, Wiggins etc. Yet somehow they manage to win. John E. is even shorter, and yet is a very substantial player. As others have mentioned, Nate, Nate, and others are long but nowhere near really long, and yet they are top notch.

If we narrow the discussion to just the idea of hitting 1,000 and we do an experiment, two pools of young players. One pool spends all their time working on long drives, the other spends all their time working on their short game and putting, who is going to hit 1,000 the most often? Who will get there first? Do the skills sets cross apply?

The adage, drive for show, putt for doe is old and yet still relevant.

You're talking about players that all have great distance, and in that case the separating factors are of course going to be other skills. When everyone has plenty of D off the tee putting, upshots, mental edges, ect. will all be more important than even more distance.

But to your proposed experiment, if the group working on short game exclusively will not hit 1000 at all, leaving the only group with the capability of reaching 1000 the group with distance.

This has been well documented in golf and Utiliworld has run an article on it as well. There are statistics that bear this all out and it should be evident as people compare the number of golfers who get to 1000 with superior distance and ok putting vs the number of amazing putters who are short off the tee that distance is the driving factor here,

Here is Utiliworld's article with plenty of stats if anyone cares: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/03/08/saying-go-drive-dough-putt-show/

There's a bunch more article of similar nature in golf publications.

Not if you're just "pretty good" at everything but throwing far, which is your strategy.

I never said current, Yeti was rated 1000+ from 2005 to 2015 so it is true.

Again Yeti is a putting world champion, so if you submit that the "easiest way to 1000 rated" is to be 5x world putting champion I would have to disagree with you.

There is data on all of this and articles too. Go to Udisc and look at putting percentages of MPO and see for yourself that there are pros who are no better at putting than some advanced guys who easily clear 1000 rated. They are only pretty good at the other skills but they throw very far and reasonably accurately and there are dozens of them.

Thank you, so it's not distance, but putting accuracy that keeps you from breaking 970. I'll bet you could go out and throw 450 anytime with just a few warm-ups.

Yes, I can throw far whenever and mostly accurately.

Again Yeti is a putting world champion, so if you submit that the "easiest way to 1000 rated" is to be 5x world putting champion I would have to disagree with you.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the initial question in this thread is "minimum distance needed to be 1000 rated", not easiest way to be 1000 rated.

Yeti didn't have 400 feet of power when he was 1000 rated for almost 10 years. Therefore the minimum distance is less than 400 feet.

Latest posts