• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

Lurp Nuts

* Ace Member *
Just called Gateway to inquire about ordering some Mediums, but apparently they don't have any. When they make more, it won't have the PDGA tooling on back because it's too stiff to pass. Sad, sad day.

Yep, PDGA is starting to crack down on stiff discs now. I'm glad I still have a box full of G9i's - I figured I might as well get myself a healthy supply while they were available.

who's gonna be the first to start listing mediums and g9's at $30 apiece in the marketplace?

I'm more curious to see how this will affect other manufacturers. Lots of discs out there are pretty stiff and probably stiffer than the limit. Chuck mentioned that PDGA listens to people questioning legality of certain discs and picks up random samples from store shelves to test the claims... But who really calls discs in for being too stiff? The only reason PDGA cracked down on Wizards is because Dave sent them some G9i's as part of a promotional package and they instantly replied to him that they were too stiff and he had to pull them off all store shelves. At first they wanted to him to pull all Wizards with the small throwing Wizard stamp on them before he informed them that he has RFF Wizards with the same stamp. Anyway, I just don't get it.

I thought this day might come, Gateway makes some discs that are super stiff but since Legacy has been on the scene they make some super stiff plastic also. Maybe this is the reason the last batch of Kc Rocs I felt weren't very stiff.

cryingtoddler.jpg

No, no. I'll be OK. Just give me a minute...

I'd like to take this time to officially thank notroman for the G9i group buy. I stocked up.

Is there an advantage to a stiff disc as ooposed to a softer model? Sorry for the noob question, but I am curious. And if so, why do companies such as MVP make some discs so soft?

A serious answer would be helpful, thanks

this is dumb as hell,wtf does it matter if the disc is stiff like a brick?

the old firms were even more stiff than mediums.

The old ones never met the specifications either. I think the 27lb rule has been in effect for a long time it's just that PDGA never really cracked down on it. Either that, or it just so happened that every manufacturer sent in soft plastic for approval then ran the stiff variants - but that seems silly.

Is there an advantage to a stiff disc as ooposed to a softer model? Sorry for the noob question, but I am curious. And if so, why do companies such as MVP make some discs so soft?

I believe it has more to do with safety and liability than competition.

I really think it's down to preference. Some say they get a more consistent release with a firmer disc. Softer discs usually absorb impact better and don't roll away as often.

There is no limit on how soft a disc can be, but there is a limit on how stiff it can be.

I was just wondering that too. If gateway medium is too stiff then nearly every KC Pro Roc and Aviar should be as well. A max weight KC Pro can be harder than gateway medium. Maybe stiff KC's will be dinosaurs soon, too.

On a side note, all I've ever seen from Gateway is medium down to SSS or RFF. I wonder if they ever hard a firm. A firm Wizard would be a flying brick for sure.

i understand the crackdown, but why putters first? they will do the least damage, fly at the slowest speed, carry the least energy. They should start with drivers that are way too stiff.

Latest posts