• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Members Who Have Played 100 Courses!

Agreed, its by far the best way to boost courses played.

I recently tried a new strategy of buying land and building a course on it to increase my courses played numbers… but it's not working. I'm saving on gas and can play every morning though.

Just keep re-designing it and counting each rendition separately.

pizza god has played more courses in Texas than the number that currently exist. just silly.:clap:

there are a ton of extinct courses in TX. development is constant and the best private courses all close eventually

I remember the excitement a couple of years ago when I was approaching 100. I'm at 146 now and would LOVE to get 200. However, I don't travel a lot, so that limits me. I have 70 courses within 50 miles of me (great for me). Twenty of those 70 are rated 3.5 or higher, so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

driving past a good course to play a crappy course is one perspective you could have. i prefer to think that experiencing a course i've never been too is worth the experience on principle. i won't know unless i go check it out. sure, sometimes you can tell but how many times have you played a course that lots of people seemed to hate on but you loved it, or at least enjoyed some portions of it that were well-designed.

Originally Posted by aclay
I remember the excitement a couple of years ago when I was approaching 100. I'm at 146 now and would LOVE to get 200. However, I don't travel a lot, so that limits me. I have 70 courses within 50 miles of me (great for me). Twenty of those 70 are rated 3.5 or higher, so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

driving past a good course to play a crappy course is one perspective you could have. i prefer to think that experiencing a course i've never been too is worth the experience on principle. i won't know unless i go check it out. sure, sometimes you can tell but how many times have you played a course that lots of people seemed to hate on but you loved it, or at least enjoyed some portions of it that were well-designed.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you in principle. And it's particularly true when a course has very few reviews. However, at this point, most of the courses in the area that I have not played have poor reviews, and I know people who have played them and tell me the courses are not worth the time. Also, reading the reviews that are there tells me the courses are not well maintained or are in total disrepair. I played a lot of new courses this summer to experience new courses and to review courses that had few (or no) reviews. I am basically done with those, so now my options for new courses are courses that are crappy, based on both reviews and information from locals who have played those courses, or to travel.

As for myself, if time permits I'll play those crappy courses---not to pad my numbers, but just for the new experience. Rarely have I played a course so bad I regretted playing it. Many times I've played a course, knowing I won't play it again.

As for myself, if time permits I'll play those crappy courses---not to pad my numbers, but just for the new experience. Rarely have I played a course so bad I regretted playing it. Many times I've played a course, knowing I won't play it again.

That's actually a good thing really. That means at least you're not running into any sub 1 disc rated courses or something like that. I look at what you're saying as, yes there is some mediocrity out there but not a lot of truly horrible courses.

I did run across one course this summer that I TOTALLY regretted. You'd think with it being in close proximity to things like Flip and Ludington courses it would be at least tolerable. Nope. I completely regretted my time at Hart Hydro. But being the course bagger that I am I had to finish it lol. Had to get a tetanus shot for my troubles. :\

-Dave

I have only played one so far that I truly regretted, Shoals DGC in Pinnacle NC. It wasn't so much the uneventful layout, but the waist high weeds on hole 1's fairway should have been my clue to skip it. Instead of packing it in, I grabbed a crappy disc and made short tosses so I could check that one off as played.

I played one that was bad enough that I walked off after 5 holes. But I've since read of it's being re-designed, apparently into a decent course. I wouldn't appreciate that, if I hadn't seen the original disaster for myself.

Now, I'm not driving an hour or more just to play a 1.5-rated 9-holer. But I may well tack it on to a return trip to a better course.

...so I'm having trouble convincing myself to drive past good courses to play crappy courses to boost my numbers. I've played a few of the crappy courses in the area that hadn't been reviewed much (or at all) to help others, but at this point, I would have to play courses that are clearly inferior for no other reason than boosting my numbers.

When I travel to bag courses, I go for quality over quantity. Closer to home, I play everything. I still get a thrill out of playing new courses, even if they are only 9 holes and not the highest rated. Every NEW course has something to offer: perhaps an unexpected Ace or an amazing view or a beautiful drive in the country. I have seen some of the most magnificent scenery while driving to some "out of the way" 9 hole courses.

I have now played every single course within a day's drive of my home except for a few private campgrounds and military bases. I started by playing all the quality 18 hole courses and I eventually played the rest because that was all that was left. You can always play the lesser rated courses on the way home from a higher rated course.

I didn't get the "urge" to bag courses until I had been playing over 15 years and already had 185 courses played. I used to play to practice because I wanted to get better and win. As such, I only wanted to play/practice the best tournament courses. I would go to a tournament city and only play the one or two tournament courses. Now that I play to enjoy playing and not just to practice for events, and I want to "play....them.....all"! (Except the ones with crappy navigation because ain't nobody got time for that!)

Honestly, bad navigation is about the only reason I won't play a course. I have played some 1 star gems and some 4 star losers.

all great thoughts but there's one i didn't see yet

sometimes these crappy little 9 holers will have 1 or 2 amazing holes that you have never seen before. an off-the-wall design idea or a weird landscape that an experienced designer would probably not consider but every now and then they make for a really fun hole.

and like Mark said, sometimes the train wreck is entertaining.

I personally enjoy playing the train wreck courses. They are the most fun to review.

I'm sort of torn about playing what I know will be garbage courses. While its kind of fun writing the review sometimes I hate spending the time on the course trying to give the course a fair shake. Dueces Wild for example I stood on tee 1 and instantly knew it was going to be a cluster**** but I soldiered on anyways. Personally (just speaking for my own reviews) I feel like I need to review a terrible course now and again to validate my reviews and give me some perspective on just how bad it can get.

I recently completed my 100th and 101st courses in North Georgia....North GA Canopy Tours and Little Mulberry Park, respectively. While on that road trip, I bagged all the courses in the area that I could, in 4 days time. (Also got in a concert
at Innovation Amphitheater). So, while on a road trip I only bag the better rated courses...if I had enough time I would play
'em all.....even the not-so-great ones.

I am in the process of planning The Geezers Spring Disc Golf trip...gonna bag 9 courses in 5 days (which will put me at 110 courses)...for Senior Citizens, that ain't too bad....going to Monroe Louisiana area, been wanting to play the courses at Lake Claiborne for quite some time, also gonna play Lake Chennault, Lake D'arbonne in Farmerville, and the course in Ruston...might even try to jump over the state line and bag my first course in Arkansas, time permitting.

Hope to get my total to 150 courses in 2019 and get to about 20 live shows (made it to 21 shows in 2018). What a combination, Disc Golf in the morning and a concert in the evening. (Unfortunately, I was not able to get (reasonably priced) tix to see the Stones this time around)

Life is good!!

Every course is worth playing once. I agree that poor navigation more frustrating than a bad course. I don't mind bagging one where I can throw 150' putter shots on every hole, or even one in terrible condition. But a course where I can't find more than two holes, or where I can't find the course, is by far the most frustrating.

Another factor is now time. With a family, I no longer have as much time to bag every course while I'm visiting locations. Lately I've gone for quality over quantity (e.g. while visiting Charlotte and Rock Hill recently), but when I have more time I love to hit up 4 or more "inferior" courses in a morning or afternoon. Course bagging is its own kind of fun.

I personally enjoy playing the train wreck courses. They are the most fun to review.
Train wreck courses almost write their own reviews; there is always stuff that jumps out at you. A really good course that is solid is tougher to catch the nuances of. Good courses I find myself playing three to four times before I review them. Train wreck courses you can play once and write the review. If it wasn't for the train wreck courses, I'd have 1/2 the number of reviews that I do.

Boring is Worse

The worst thing is if a course is just boring. I don't mind playing a train wreck if I didn't travel a long way for only that course. But when I go out of my way to a course and it's basically the same hole over and over again - no obstacles, no interesting elevation changes, distance fairly consistent then I wish I stayed home and played Seneca Creek for the 400th time or maybe a lesser nearby course that I have played <10 times.

Train wreck courses almost write their own reviews; there is always stuff that jumps out at you. A really good course that is solid is tougher to catch the nuances of. Good courses I find myself playing three to four times before I review them. Train wreck courses you can play once and write the review. If it wasn't for the train wreck courses, I'd have 1/2 the number of reviews that I do.

The worst Train Wreck courses to see are ones that just need upkeep to either the baskets and/or Tee pad or the course, other then that the course is nice and would get a good review. I have played a course like that in Winnona MN the newer in town course and it was just sad with the old Chain Star Baskets that need to be first on some if not replaced then fixed to being back to original upright instead of 30 degrees off then some needed outright replacement due to how bent the disc catcher was.

Last edited:
It's kinda a weird thing, because we assume disc golfers would care about a disc golf course. It's not always the case.

In September 2009 our local parks department installed a niner. They got a grant and bought Discatcher Pros. :( We had to have a guy figure out how to build pin placements for them since they are not supposed to be outside. We marked the tees with paint and off we went. It's a park-style design with a lot of elevation changes, and we set it up with two tees per hole. Decent little niner with the design done, it just needed concrete tees, tee signs and actual permanent baskets. Ber Juan Park

By July the following year, the local Lions Club installed an 18-hole wooded course with concrete tees, tee signs and Gateway Titans. No disc golfers had to lift a finger, the Lions Club just paid for it. Lion's Club DGC

We are almost to year ten on Ber Juan; it still has Discatcher Pro's rusting away. The tees are still flags and paint I mark. I can't get anyone interested in saving it. Hell, I can't get anyone interested in playing it. The conversation goes as such:

"I don't want to play there, the baskets suck."

"We could raise the money for better baskets"

"The tees suck, too."

"We could raise the money for concrete tees."

"It's not as hard as Lion's Club."

"It's different from Lion's Club. It makes you throw into a strong wind more. It makes you throw up and down elevation more. It's not as hard as Lion's Club, but it's not a cupcake. You will develop different skills on it."

"I'm going to go play Lion's Club."

:|

There seems to be this idea that the City should just pay to improve the course and the disc golfers shouldn't have to lift a finger. Ber Juan disc golf course is going to die, and when it does you can point the finger right back at the Rolla disc golfers because it's going to die because they don't care. To me it's really weird. We spent decades pitching courses to parks departments that kept saying no, and here is an actual for-real course that we just have to put some effort into. Everyone has an excuse why they won't, though.

Last edited: