• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memorial Broadcast

I enjoyed the entire thing. The commentators, I hope, with time will get better. I got tired of them talking about the fountain on the first day.

Yeah the final round was the best segment of the tournament. I think that it really helped that they focused on the lead card, it made things a lot easier to follow. I'm not a huge fan of random shots of random holes for 6 hours, it hard to follow. I'm sure it will get better. I'm sure they learned a lot from this experience. I do remember hearing Brooks saying that they'll be doing a broadcast of the Collegiate Championships in April, but didn't hear him say anything about the Texas Champ. tourney. Wish they would publish a schedule of where they'll be...

maybe i was seeing the national tour not necessarily the broadcast schedule, but i heard they had plans to do 8 live online broadcasts

There is a loose dress code for sponsored players...wear gear with your brand's logo on it. Guys who are paying money out of their pocket for travel, lodging, food, registration, and equipment shouldn't be held to a dress code. I watched the pros both days and was impressed with the coverage. It's quality peaked during the final round, which was nice.

They are the ones choosing this profession,more power to them though,I am clearly jealous.

But regardless most of them aren't too bad,i just mean i would appreciate seeing some more polo's out there and such,and some form of decent shorts and such

The only reason i mentioned this was because nikkos headwear is annoying.

They are the ones choosing this profession,more power to them though,I am clearly jealous.

But regardless most of them aren't too bad,i just mean i would appreciate seeing some more polo's out there and such,and some form of decent shorts and such

The only reason i mentioned this was because nikkos headwear is annoying.

Seriously?

He also can't match to save his life but that is still no reason to have a dress code... I felt like what the commentators were wearing seemed overdone and fake (like we are trying to make the sport something it's not).

BTW I am a very average dressing person (cargo shorts and a drifit tshirt or polo) so don't think I'm pushing for a certain style either. One of the things I love about DG is you can be yourself.

I think the fact that it's live is good.

We need to act professional to be taken professionally.

I think there needs to be a more strict dress code also,but that's for another topic.

This was definitely a solid step.:thmbup:

I don't think all that is very important. I think its embarassing that even for an NT (the biggest events in our entire sport) we can't get a park shut down just for us to use. There were people doing other stuff all around the course DURING AN NT. think about it...when you watch baseball are there random people wandering around the field? :\

I don't think all that is very important. I think its embarassing that even for an NT (the biggest events in our entire sport) we can't get a park shut down just for us to use. There were people doing other stuff all around the course DURING AN NT. think about it...when you watch baseball are there random people wandering around the field? :\

I thought that was very strange too.

Hell no that is not a slam against Greenwell.
As a matter of fact he is a personal friend and
I will tell him the same thing myself.

I was complimenting the dress of the commentators.
They looked nice and that is important.

I think it was a very good broadcast, especially for a disc golf event, good commentators and reporters and nice filming and nice produced. It can of course be better, but It is very hard to handle a live coverage of a sport especially were the discs can fly in many directions and the area to cover is vast. It is much easier with for example a tennis match.

However I think the baskets should be more colorful often it was impossible to see the basket. The basket should look more like for example the Latitude 64 Pro Basket, which is one of the more visible baskets and with a more professional look. This could not be impossible to arrange for courses that will be broadcasted.
Then holes were cars work as obstacles is no good PR for our sport.

I talked with Greenwell right after he finished the first day broadcast and mentioned the shades. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide the commentators a more shaded area and they had no choice to be able to see the monitors and what was going on around them. We talked about not using the word "stroke" which has unfortunately been co-opted from golf by many people in our sport even though the proper terms are either "throw" or the generic "shot" for disc golf. But he said it would be hard to change that terminology ingrained in his brain. (The word "stroke" has never been in the PDGA rulebook.)

However I think the baskets should be more colorful often it was impossible to see the basket. The basket should look more like for example the Latitude 64 Pro Basket, which is one of the more visible baskets and with a more professional look. This could not be impossible to arrange for courses that will be broadcasted.
Then holes were cars work as obstacles is no good PR for our sport.

I think there are quite a few changes that could take place to make the sport more "professional" especially if they want to start doing more broadcasts. While some of them may not be quite as feasible as I would like, and not as popular, I think they could go a long way to helping the sport to be taken a little more seriously.

(Keep in mind I know this couldn't be done to every course. I am thinking at the courses with NT events and maybe some or all of the Majors if they are at the same course each year.)

The first, probably not going to be the most popular, would be to make the Discatcher the standard basket. They look the most professional, IMO, and could really make the sport as a whole look more uniform. (I'm not saying it is necessarily the best basket on the market, I just think it would be the most recognizable and professional looking basket.)

Next would be to set some sort of standards for tee pads. Make concrete and rubber standard (either as long as they are constant throughout the course) and make a standard measurement (ex. 12ft x 4ft).

Last one I will mention, would be a standard height from the basket to the ground/platform it is placed in. I guess maybe some people will say it adds challenge, but I know a few noobs I have taken out have asked me why one basket is up to his chest, while another is over is head. (I'm not talking about if it is on a hill or on a pyramid. I am talking about flat ground, one basket is 3.5 ft tall while another is 5.5 ft tall, and honestly I'm not sure while this happens so often. If you know enlighten me.)

Like I said, I would expect them to retrofit every course, just those that hold NT events. Discuss.

Last edited:
I thought it was a mistake to cover the armatures on Friday. I would have much rather seen Climo on the lead card and get a look at the other course.

Armatures: amateurs with great rotation for long distance throws? :)

Last edited:
I thought it was a mistake to cover the armatures on Friday. I would have much rather seen Climo on the lead card and get a look at the other course.

You used your first post on DGCR to criticize the broadcast . . . thats a tough start, I'll give you a shot to redeem yourself though.

In order for them to cover the pros on the middle day they would have had to do a whole other setup at the other course . . . that is asking for way too much at this point! It is not financially or logistically possible.

I talked with Greenwell right after he finished the first day broadcast and mentioned the shades. Unfortunately, they couldn't provide the commentators a more shaded area and they had no choice to be able to see the monitors and what was going on around them. We talked about not using the word "stroke" which has unfortunately been co-opted from golf by many people in our sport even though the proper terms are either "throw" or the generic "shot" for disc golf. But he said it would be hard to change that terminology ingrained in his brain. (The word "stroke" has never been in the PDGA rulebook.)

Thats interesting Chuck . . . I have often heard people say "I am going to stroke you" when joking around about calling penalties and stuff . . . I thought it was a generally acceptable word for disc golf too, I know it is in golf and i am used to it, but I thought it work for DG too.

Missed my edit time limit.

You used your first post on DGCR to criticize the broadcast . . . thats a tough start, I'll give you a shot to redeem yourself though.

In order for them to cover the pros on the middle day they would have had to do a whole other setup at the other course . . . that is asking for way too much at this point! It is not financially or logistically possible.

BEGIN EDIT: "especially when considering they are offering the live online for free (meaning donation only). I am wondering did you donate $4.95? I gave $19.95 to help support the whole idea of broadcasting disc golf and it was well worth it to me!" END EDIT

I realize the horse is out of the barn on using "stroke" but I (and several other long timers in disc golf media) think it would be better if we retained our own identity by using "throw" or "shot." Our rules writiers have maintained that terminology integrity by never using terms like a "one stroke penalty" for going OB. It was always one throw or one shot penalty. For example, we use hyzer and anhyzer instead of hook or slice from ball golf. You rarely hear someone indicate they hooked or sliced a drive. Now, "worm burner" clearly works for both sports...

Last edited:

Latest posts