• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Meteor

Spinach D said:
emiller3 said:
I'd definitely give it a try if I were you. You've already got the disc, go give it a try and report back. I've come to my own conclusions about the Meteor and the Roc based on Roc-throwers that I play with, but I'd be interested in how you think it flies compared to a beat Roc.

I do not have a meteor. I'm trying to determine if I'd like to buy one.
I got confused, you said you have still never used one, and I thought you said you had a still never used one...

A couple guys on here have some green 173/174 ESP ones, see if you can trade for one.

I finally kicked my meteor back to the shelf. Now I am rocking 4 buzz's for my midrange game and digging it. Don't get me wrong...the Meteor is a very good disc...but I just couldn't get a good consistent release with it.

hmm...

i have 2 buzzz's, an ESP that does exactly what it's supposed to, dead straight no flip (or flip up from hyzer release) with some fade at the end. it's easy to throw and easy to release.

I picked up a pro-D buzzz trying to beat it in for anny shots that don't fade back left, and it's about halfway beat and still fades pretty bad, even thrown about 10 o'clock anny release; just doesn't hold the left to right line.

is the Meteor in my future? sounds like it.

I was on the Meteor train for a while five or six months back. I was carrying it to fill the understable mid-range slot and I really did/do like the way it flips and glides. I think that if I didn't have a stack of beat DX Rocs and ESP Comets then I would probably still be rocking my Meteor. It is much quicker than either the roc or the comet and flies on turnover type lines really well. Meteor > Comet for shots that "have-to" flip, either to flat or all the way over...Comets are more useful when you want to shape the line and have the disc hold it till the end of the flight. 8)

black udder said:
Give it a shot - what have you got to lose (really)?

It's not a bad disc by any stretch. You could also try the glide if you wanted more distance.

??? I have never thrown a glide anywhere near as far as a meteor. Throw the meteor on a hard hyzer and HIGH and it will go a LONG ways....

I've recently been throwing a Buzzz SS for the slight turnover mid slot to compliment my straight/stable buzzz. I've noticed at times that my buzzz ss acts a little more stable than I'd like. Does anyone have experience with both the meteor and buzzz ss and are able to compare the two? After reading this I'm thinking of trying the Meteor again.

Bangrrr Bob said:
black udder said:

It's not a bad disc by any stretch. You could also try the glide if you wanted more distance.

??? I have never thrown a glide anywhere near as far as a meteor. Throw the meteor on a hard hyzer and HIGH and it will go a LONG ways....

You throw the glide right and it will go a long, long, long way. While the meteor is a midrange, the glide is one of those tweenie discs that's a "long range driver". You need hyzer and good form (and no head wind), but they can get jacked out by me well over 300', so I imagine that players with good snap could really get 'em out. Reason I say more distance is because I believe they glide a little better than the buzz/meteor. So if another 10'-20' would be helpful then it could fit the bill.

Discspeed - you thrown the glide much? I imagine that with your distance it's not something you'd use in your bag, but wonder if you or those you know have thoughts on it. I see it as a good disc for those in the 300' range.

Anyone who is looking for an anhyzer disc the METEOR is it. Thrown hard and flat to slight hyzer, and it is going to go the right.

I threw the Glide when it was an Ace Race disc. From what I remember it isn't nearly as good as the Meteor. It had a sharp edge like a driver. I never tried it as a production disc. I am not even sure it is still a production disc.

The Meteor flat out bombs if you need it to. I have thrown it on holes upto 350 feet. I think I could get it out farther if I needed to. Any longer then 350 I am grabbing a driver. For those longer tweener anhyzers I have been going with the Cyclone the last couple of weeks.

Fazor said:
I've recently been throwing a Buzzz SS for the slight turnover mid slot to compliment my straight/stable buzzz. I've noticed at times that my buzzz ss acts a little more stable than I'd like. Does anyone have experience with both the meteor and buzzz ss and are able to compare the two? After reading this I'm thinking of trying the Meteor again.
I don't have any experience with the Buzzz SS, but I have a seasoned, almost beat Elite Z Buzzz that turns a little on a hard throw (still fades back) and holds a superb anny line. I use the Meteor for exactly what you're talking about, you'll have a lot more confidence in its turn and it's really a better disc than the Buzzz for some of the anny lines you'll encounter.

Fazor said:

And then there are the times when the Buzzz SS flips a little too much...I too thought that the Buzzz SS would fulfill my anhyzer duties when it came out. I bought like 8 of the sparkly Am Nats red Zs. I found that it worked good for straight shots, but not as well in the wind as a regular Buzzz. It flew good on pure anhyzers from start to finish, but I did not like it for turnover shots as the flip was not very predictable. Many times I would get it to turn when I wanted, but then it would either turn too much or fade out too much. Also, owning several SSs that were all the same weight/run with small differences in domes, I found them to vary much more disc to disc than a single mold should. Some seemed stable like a Buzzz unless the wind blew, others were turnover discs out of the box.

The first time I threw a Meteor I thought it flew pretty much the same so I switched because Meteors are full production. Over time I have come to trust the Meteor much more than I ever trusted the SS as its turnover behavior is more consistent and predictable.

black udder said:
Bangrrr Bob said:
black udder said:

You throw the glide right and it will go a long, long, long way. While the meteor is a midrange, the glide is one of those tweenie discs that's a "long range driver". You need hyzer and good form (and no head wind), but they can get jacked out by me well over 300', so I imagine that players with good snap could really get 'em out. Reason I say more distance is because I believe they glide a little better than the buzz/meteor. So if another 10'-20' would be helpful then it could fit the bill.

Discspeed - you thrown the glide much? I imagine that with your distance it's not something you'd use in your bag, but wonder if you or those you know have thoughts on it. I see it as a good disc for those in the 300' range.

I was a Buzzz thrower when the Glide came out, and like the Breeze, I was eager to integrate it into my mid game at the time. What I found was a very speed sensitive disc that was too much of a tweener to stay in my bag (probably why it is OOP).

First of all, I actually had to throw the Glide somewhat hard to get it to flip, so its cruising speed is probably a bit faster than a Buzzz. It has a very driver like rim config., so it also had more LSS than my Buzzz. The disc's speed and lack of any type of stabilization built into the mold produce a very squirrely disc with a narrow sweet spot in terms of getting consistent flights. Flip it a bit too much and it won't recover, fail to put enough spin/anhyzer and it fades out. You'd be better off with a Meteor and a Gazelle, LS, Cyclone, etc.

discspeed said:
...Over time I have come to trust the Meteor much more than I ever trusted the SS as its turnover behavior is more consistent and predictable....
It seems to me that almost any understable disc has to be familiar to be dependable. Is familiarity what makes them dependable or is it the mold attributes?

If Discspeed had thrown the SS more than the Meteor would he say he could depend on the SS more than he ever could with the Meteor?

marmoset said:
If Discspeed had thrown the SS more than the Meteor would he say he could depend on the SS more than he ever could with the Meteor?
Doubt it. Go check out the thread on squireliness. Some molds are more squirely than others, no matter how much you throw them. The Meteor is very consistent for me, I would never have considered it squirely, even when I first started throwing it.

marmoset said:
discspeed said:
...Over time I have come to trust the Meteor much more than I ever trusted the SS as its turnover behavior is more consistent and predictable....
It seems to me that almost any understable disc has to be familiar to be dependable. Is familiarity what makes them dependable or is it the mold attributes?

I threw the SS for some time, probably a little less than a year. When I said "over time", I wasn't so much referring to the familiarity that repetition brings, but rather the experience of playing multiple courses and encountering a variety of situations/wind conditions so that I could really get a sense of how the disc could fly and the sensitivity of all of its lines. After touring around the state and throwing the Meteor across seasons like I had with the SS, I found the Meteor's turnover characteristics to be more smooth and the flight transitions to be more seamless. The SS is more of a flip up, ride flat, and fade disc, where the Meteor gets slow gradual action across the whole flight.

discspeed said:
I was a Buzzz thrower when the Glide came out, and like the Breeze, I was eager to integrate it into my mid game at the time. What I found was a very speed sensitive disc that was too much of a tweener to stay in my bag (probably why it is OOP).

First of all, I actually had to throw the Glide somewhat hard to get it to flip, so its cruising speed is probably a bit faster than a Buzzz. It has a very driver like rim config., so it also had more LSS than my Buzzz. The disc's speed and lack of any type of stabilization built into the mold produce a very squirrely disc with a narrow sweet spot in terms of getting consistent flights. Flip it a bit too much and it won't recover, fail to put enough spin/anhyzer and it fades out. You'd be better off with a Meteor and a Gazelle, LS, Cyclone, etc.

Just to be clear, the Glide is still in production. Didn't know if you were talking about the Breeze or Buzz SS.

I do agree that the Glide has a faster cruising speed and that the rim is more driver like (it's rounded, so between a mid and driver). I also agree that it takes some throwing history to understand how it flies and what it needs. It's not an easy disc - something you pick up, throw once or twice a round and then expect to have a determination about it - even in months of use. It's one of those discs you need to throw a lot and then form your opinion on. Not saying you haven't either.

Sadly, I think the one thing I do agree about is the squirrely nature of the disc. If you don't spend a lot of time throwing it, it's really hard to know how fast or hard to throw it and with what angle to get what you want. I believe it's looked at like a midrange and thus people throw it like one and then get driver type action from it. If you throw it like a fairway driver, then you get more appropriate results.

I know some folks that throw them and throw them well, but I also believe that it caters to a specific crowd. On the Discraft site, there's only one pro with comments about the disc, so I suspect it's not a popular disc for more experienced players. I'd imagine, like you, they can get what they want out of other molds - a meteor for the turnover and perhaps a fairway driver for distance.

I just took mine out of the box to see if they would fit a niche that I'm searching for, but I couldn't tell because there was a slight headwind when I was practicing and they don't work at all in a headwind.

Speed sensitive discs don't get much love no matter what they are... See the Comet thread for tons of evidence of that :)

On a side note, about the player's Bio pages on Discraft's site...don't fret too much over those. They're not exactly uh...accurate? I dunno..I'm not gonna call any of it bull, it's a manufacturer's site, and those pages are a great source of marketing, so it's suggested that they rep up certain discs. I play with several of the team quite a bit and it's funny to me how many discs on their pages aren't in their bags, or how many discs in their bags aren't on their pages...

I think the team page is pretty close.

There may be a few discs here and there that are not current. New molds come out, new plastic is released, people go back to old discs or try something different.

Team members send in their info early in the year. The page is updated and then pretty much left alone for the rest of the year.

It would be a never ending job to update the page as peoples bags change. I am sure Brian Sullivan has many other things to do, then update team players bag.

As for the Glide, I have not seen many people throw it. "The Peach" Sarah DeMar is the only D-crafter who claims to throw it on the site. It probably is a good disc for slower arm speeds and low spin.

Just picked up the meteor, and with about a dozen throws so far it seems to be just what it is advertised as, and what i needed; VERY similar to a buzzz but holds an anhyzer line a lot longer especially on less than full throws. we'll see how it works on the course.

thanks!

Smitty said:
As for the Glide, I have not seen many people throw it. "The Peach" Sarah DeMar is the only D-crafter who claims to throw it on the site. It probably is a good disc for slower arm speeds and low spin.

Funny, but my impression is that it would be a bad disc for slow arm speeds and low spin because I think it would be an stable to overstable disc then :p Thrown slow or easy, it fades left. You have to wing it to get that understability (or throw it into a headwind).

Latest posts