• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Find your way there?

The new holes were an adventure. But they're very playable. We ran through the shorts and the longs on Saturday, and overall I just got annihilated after a strong 9 hole start first round.

One thing is for sure - the UDisc distances are WAY off, especially obvious when you put them next to the map John Minicuci posted on DGScene. Like on hole 11 I was trying to get the pop to get the disc there and probably wouldn't have even tried had I known the actual distance was 70 further. Maybe I woulda been semi-accurate on that one. lol.

In general the new holes are pretty great. Only downsides to playing them are the usual with new holes....
1. If you get off the fairway, good luck finding a path into the woods to go retrieve/find your disc.
2. There's some poison ivy on the new fairways. So just walking the course there's a chance you'll brush up on some. Gotta be diligent about where you step.

I did not. My buddy blew out his surgically repaired shoulder and kind of put Bald Mountain on the back burner again. Thanks for the update.

I did not. My buddy blew out his surgically repaired shoulder and kind of put Bald Mountain on the back burner again. Thanks for the update.
I will say I don't know if I was clear in that post - the new holes seem to be a long term win. They're really good. Especially considering their newness. There's a bit of a claustrophobic feel to hitting the lines but only barely. Once things clean up, next few years, they're gonna be really great holes.

And considering I would anticipate greater foot traffic on an 18 hole track vs 13 I think the new holes wear in faster than the originals did. By 2026 this is all gonna be really really awesome if the support is maintained.

Not a new course, but so much improved over the years (it was already good to begin with), I wanted to mention here that Hammond Hill in Hastings is my new favorite in this quadrant of the state. I played and reviewed it way back in 2012. It's a much happier course today. Lots of love has been going into it, and if you're going to be in the SW quadrant of the state, you can't go wrong if you're looking for the area's best courses.

They just poured cement for new short tees, so it's not just for advanced players anymore.

I just spent a bunch of time updating my review from 2012. I've never done that before. I was expecting it to be "bumped" up to the top, but now that it's still way back there in the 2012 reviews will anybody really see it? I have to question the practice of ratings from a decade ago sill counting. In the case of Hammond Hill, it's way better today...but I wound up not changing my rating because I used to give too high of a number for my ratings when I was new at this site. It's "Excellent" for sure now.

Last edited:
Not a new course, but so much improved over the years (it was already good to begin with), I wanted to mention here that Hammond Hill in Hastings is my new favorite in this quadrant of the state. I played and reviewed it way back in 2012. It's a much happier course today. Lots of love has been going into it, and if you're going to be in the SW quadrant of the state, you can't go wrong if you're looking for the area's best courses.

They just poured cement for new short tees, so it's not just for advanced players anymore.

I just spent a bunch of time updating my review from 2012. I've never done that before. I was expecting it to be "bumped" up to the top, but now that it's still way back there in the 2012 reviews will anybody really see it? I have to question the practice of ratings from a decade ago sill counting. In the case of Hammond Hill, it's way better today...but I wound up not changing my rating because I used to give too high of a number for my ratings when I was new at this site. It's "Excellent" for sure now.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=3218&mode=rev :D :thmbup:

The first review for that link mentions that the tee signs are less than helpful. it might be worth noting for out of towners that each tee sign has a QR code, which will pop up a drone flyover of the particular hole you just scanned. Not as fast as a quick glance at a tee sign, but they're pretty well done and if you hum the music of your favorite pro coverage while you watch the flyover it's kinda fun.

Hammond Hill has only been reviewed once since 2017. It's so much better now. You have to scroll quite a ways back to get to my update, which I originally did way back in 2012. DFrah and me are the only two new ones, and mine is the first to mention the new cement short tees, poured just in the last few weeks. It's a pity the course rating includes tons of 10+ year old reviews. The guy behind this place was on my card and mentioned how only Meyer Broadway is rated higher for courses in the general area. I think it's better than MB and I'm the guy who originally got it in!

Last edited:
i just found a new one eb holman in the up

i added it

i likely will be playing it soon and will add pics if im first on here (and if i remember)

Hammond Hill has only been reviewed once since 2017. It's so much better now. You have to scroll quite a ways back to get to my update, which I originally did way back in 2012. DFrah and me are the only two new ones, and mine is the first to mention the new cement short tees, poured just in the last few weeks. It's a pity the course rating includes tons of 10+ year old reviews. The guy behind this place was on my card and mentioned how only Meyer Broadway is rated higher for courses in the general area. I think it's better than MB and I'm the guy who originally got it in!

I was pleasantly surprised by the course as well! I had not heard much about it and don't usually head down that way (like on M-37). I'm excited to hear that the shorts all got poured. It looked like they might be under construction when I visited in April.

I must have missed those QR codes on the tee signs too. I hold my position that the signs could still be better though. They could have a nice sign AND QR codes. :D

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the course as well! I had not heard much about it and don't usually head down that way (like on M-37). I'm excited to hear that the shorts all got poured. It looked like they might be under construction when I visited in April.

I must have missed those QR codes on the tee signs too. I hold my position that the signs could still be better though. They could have a nice sign AND QR codes. :D

Not a fan of QR help. I am sure they are cool and helpful to some. I don't generally use a phone as part of my travel/bagging experience. A pictogram, distance and next tee info is the bare minimum for me. I need to get out and check it out!!

Although I like UDisc, I'm not tech savvy enough to have ever used a QR code. I didn't even notice they were there. Are they? I used to keep my scores on an AmiPro spreadsheet via floppy disk over a quarter century ago and thought I was high tech back then!

You guys made me second guess myself, so I drove down for a round last night to verify. They in fact do NOT have QR codes. It's brewer park I was thinking of with the QR codes and flyovers. Which is silly given that you can see the basket from nearly all of those teepads even when playing from the golds.

LOL - Yeah, Brewer Park has them. The signs there are beautiful and I agree - the QR codes are just icing on the cake and not even really necessary, but cool.

Although I like UDisc, I'm not tech savvy enough to have ever used a QR code. I didn't even notice they were there. Are they? I used to keep my scores on an AmiPro spreadsheet via floppy disk over a quarter century ago and thought I was high tech back then!

Most phones today will let you just point at the QR code with your normal phone camera and the link will pop up. You don't need a separate app anymore.

Not a fan of QR help. I am sure they are cool and helpful to some. I don't generally use a phone as part of my travel/bagging experience. A pictogram, distance and next tee info is the bare minimum for me. I need to get out and check it out!!

Totally respect this! For me, when playing a new course I am taking detailed notes for the review, keeping score, and often also taking photos on my phone. I sometimes spend more time on my phone than I do throwing. :sick: I don't like it either, but for me that's far outweighed by the joys of playing - and then reviewing - the course.

I finally got back to Hickory Hills in Traverse City today. Things appear to be pretty much fleshed out and overall I was very impressed. There is a moderately difficult White layout and a very difficult Blue layout, both with 18 holes. 13 of the holes use the same tee pad and have two color coded baskets for the different layout. The other five holes are exclusive to one of the layouts (this is why UDisc shows 23 holes). The five exclusive holes are sprinkled in throughout the round so I could see the potential for groups stacking up when the course is busy. But it was unseasonably cold and dreary here today so I only encountered a couple of other groups.

I played one round on each layout which was a major workout that I will probably be feeling tomorrow. :D Generally, the layouts are done really well IMO. The white layout is plenty challenging for most players. It retains most of the best holes from the old Hickory, including the 620' top of the world hole with the view of the city. The blue layout seems to me like a pro level course. It basically takes the White layout and kicks things up a notch. There are some really beautiful approaches tucked back in the woods beyond the white baskets. The top of the world hole continues past the white basket down an even steeper section of the hill for another 400'. There is a little extra walking compared to the old 24 hole course regardless of layout but overall it's not too bad, much better than the experiment they tried with having a South and North 18.

Overall I'm at about a 4.25 rating. The place has definitely regained its title as the best in the area and is a must-play if you are anywhere nearby, IMO. I'd recommend playing the White layout for all but the most advanced of players - you don't really miss anything and get to experience all of the best holes and views from the old layout. Photos and full review coming soon. ;)

I finally got back to Hickory Hills in Traverse City today. Things appear to be pretty much fleshed out and overall I was very impressed. There is a moderately difficult White layout and a very difficult Blue layout, both with 18 holes. 13 of the holes use the same tee pad and have two color coded baskets for the different layout. The other five holes are exclusive to one of the layouts (this is why UDisc shows 23 holes). The five exclusive holes are sprinkled in throughout the round so I could see the potential for groups stacking up when the course is busy. But it was unseasonably cold and dreary here today so I only encountered a couple of other groups.

I played one round on each layout which was a major workout that I will probably be feeling tomorrow. :D Generally, the layouts are done really well IMO. The white layout is plenty challenging for most players. It retains most of the best holes from the old Hickory, including the 620' top of the world hole with the view of the city. The blue layout seems to me like a pro level course. It basically takes the White layout and kicks things up a notch. There are some really beautiful approaches tucked back in the woods beyond the white baskets. The top of the world hole continues past the white basket down an even steeper section of the hill for another 400'. There is a little extra walking compared to the old 24 hole course regardless of layout but overall it's not too bad, much better than the experiment they tried with having a South and North 18.

Overall I'm at about a 4.25 rating. The place has definitely regained its title as the best in the area and is a must-play if you are anywhere nearby, IMO. I'd recommend playing the White layout for all but the most advanced of players - you don't really miss anything and get to experience all of the best holes and views from the old layout. Photos and full review coming soon. ;)

can confirm i went on a busy day and it was clogged up in several areas which detracted from the experience

Played a new one today that is gonna be a fantastic advanced level course: Jacket Woods in Defiance, Ohio. Not Michigan - but close enough that I'm guessing some Michigan folks will find it a short trip. 28 miles straight line distance from the Michigan border over in the NW corner of Ohio. If you live along the southern edge of Michigan its definitely worth the trip. The hour drive for me was worth it and I'll be back very soon.

Rolling elevation, water hazards in the form of a pair of reasonable shorter water clears and a creek that is OB where there's water but it wasn't much (wondering if they might paint lines in the future, they had a C Tier yesterday but doesn't look like it, so not sure how they played them).

Two sets of tees and two baskets on all holes, all permanent. Neat elevated basket structure on hole 1, pathways and mowing really solid throughout the course. Two goofy holes that I wasn't a huge fan of, but I can see how they can be nice in a few years with some work. Otherwise really complete for how new it is. Its great work by the folks at the college.

The Yellow Baskets were easier by about 25 rating points yesterday but overall it looks more like the separate baskets are more like "differing" layouts versus intentionally harder and easier layouts. On many holes the yellows were either longer or more difficult, though overall the 25 points is accurate the yellows for sure played a bit easier in general. Just not every hole.

I've also heard the college is all in on disc golf and may be offering some partial disc golf related scholarships and is going to be trying to build out a squad to join the Great Lakes Collegiate DG Conference.

Last edited:
Kiwanis Outdoor Center in Battle Creek received its baskets this week! 5 holes left to clear and concrete pads to be laid still.

Debating on installing the baskets asap and opening the course possibly as early as late July/Early August or waiting until we lay pads and refine things a bit and pushing the open to the fall. Pros and cons each way. We are already working on a list of things on the to-do list for next year.

I swear it is harder to wrangle work crews in summer!

Kiwanis Outdoor Center in Battle Creek received its baskets this week! 5 holes left to clear and concrete pads to be laid still.

Debating on installing the baskets asap and opening the course possibly as early as late July/Early August or waiting until we lay pads and refine things a bit and pushing the open to the fall. Pros and cons each way. We are already working on a list of things on the to-do list for next year.

I swear it is harder to wrangle work crews in summer!

It always seemed like a decent plan, to get the course open without tee pads. Mark the pads with flags and let them play for awhile. Often you find that the pad position could be improved, from the original plan. Moving them after pouring is not so easy. :p

It always seemed like a decent plan, to get the course open without tee pads. Mark the pads with flags and let them play for awhile. Often you find that the pad position could be improved, from the original plan. Moving them after pouring is not so easy. :p

This. People need to realize this.
Let people play with "natural tees" fir a couple of months. See how the course plays, and if any holes would play better moving a tee a few feet one way or another. Then pour concrete.

Last edited: