• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Just played the new layout for Lake Township today - twice. MUCH better IMHO. Probably around a 3 or 3.5 disc rating from me depending on what the Township installs. Just having concrete teepads will be huge. The holes along the fences are gone as are the idiotic crossing fairways. It'll be a great beginner to intermediate course that Am2's and up will still find interesting. Heck, some water will actually come into play.

added a course at Caledonia HS south of grand rapids today. 9-hole, decent little course. nothing block buster but it's there.

nice. i'll have to check this out soon. i got a couple i never knew about in area to check as well. Smaller, simple design courses like this one. Jenison is one of them.

Per Bonnie Brook DGC Facebook page...
"We are happy to announce we have an opening day! This Monday 9-22-14 at 8 am we are open for business!"

Update... Due to the rain over the weekend, the course is flooded in some areas, and the opening is postponed for a couple days.

I added this course to the database a couple days ago. then I look yesterday and there's a new course in Iron Mountain... FML

i did not like jenison

yea, i just checked it out. Not that good at all. It did get frustrating that 3 of the 4 holes I played around the soccer field, my disc rolled down into charlie's dump. :wall:

I had my cardio in by hole 5.

The lack of any idea for tee pads and directions suck, but maybe in the future they'd add that.

Just played Bonnie Brook for the 1st time today. Like it a lot... bought season pass #60. Ted & Lydia have done a really nice job creating a course that's inviting, fun, challenging, and quite unique for this area. I really hope this works out well for them. Don't plan to review it until I've played it a few times and have good feel for it's subtleties.

Bonnie Brook is legit! Elevation, OB Water, some very difficult holes, some easy ones. As it stands right now I would give it an A-, but with a bit more love, and some concrete pads it should be a solid A and one of the better courses in SE Michigan. I don't know why it wasn't on here, so I added it..

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7150

I added it several days before you did but it was deleted. not sure if I posted a few days too early before it was "officially" open or what happened. Timg only likes me on wednesdays.

I would love to Play Bonnie Brock. It really stinks that I am not old enough to play it though because it says you must be 18 and up

I added it several days before you did but it was deleted. not sure if I posted a few days too early before it was "officially" open or what happened. Timg only likes me on wednesdays.

I thought I remembered seeing it on here.. But then it was gone.

I like how Detroit now has two courses, with two distinct characters (and both provide a safe environment to play a round I may add).

Distance-wise, they could not be farther apart! Bonnie Brook on the far northwest corner, then Belle Isle on the far south-east corner. Might actually be the farthest possible away with still being in the same city.

Both on defunct ball golf courses. BB has elevation, while BI has the island character and water shots. BI definitely needs to do more trimming to get up to par with BB though. It would be cool to see the 'before' shots of BB. Judging by the dead stuff on the ground the grass/weeds were really high out there before the trimming started.

Speaking of Belle Isle: Battle At The Belle 3 is this Sunday! Spots are still available.

Yeah, it'd be hard to pick two places within the city limits any farther from each other... and each course fills a pretty bigh DG void in the area. Technically, Lola Valley, The Farm and Lawrence Tech aren't far from BB, but they're not in the same league at all.

I helped with some of the work on BB - some of the earlier holes near Telegraph Rd had some sort of stalky/weedy type of crap that grew about 4 ft high and pretty dense... the kind of stuff that makes searching for a disc really suck. Pretty sure they used a brush hog to clear all that out, but it's pretty nice now. Fairways are fairly generous before rough gets ugly, except where Ted specifically intended to make you hold a tight line.

BB plays fine with the natural tees, but as low as that plot of land lies, I can see the ground staying very soft for daaaays after it rains, resulting in some nasty tees down the road. No clue if they plan to pour concrete in the future (prolly depends on the how much $$ the course generates), but at least they'll have a bunch of rounds under their belt to make sure they know exactly where they want to the tees before they pour concrete (assuming they want to do so). Unlike pin placements, it pretty hard to move a tee once you pour. :\

BI needs concrete for a different reason, but it too would really benefit from better tees, not to mention signage.

Last edited:
There is hope for Lawrence Tech

My buddy Bart goes to school there and helped redesign the course this fall. I haven't played it but it sounds like they have already changed it up a bit. They have a tourney there Oct 12 with the new layout.

Latest posts