• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

To who ever is doing the work at Cass Benton, keep up the Good Work! Whenever I'm up this way, I always try to play Cass and overall the old course was looking better then I've seen it in prior years visits. It was nice being able to walk down #9 and not have to deal with all the fallen trees. Thanks!

Looks like the new course at Ella Sharp Park (Jackson, MI) will be moving forward. Originally part of the $200,000 Weatherwax grant for the entire park improvements, they just secured a $15,000 donation from the Kiwanis Club specifically for the DG course.

MLive article on course

Hopefully they work with the right folks to ensure it is a quality course.

Grand Isle Park in Plainfield (west of Grand Rapids) has 17 of 18 baskets, a nice layout with decent variety, and marked pads. I believe they plan to pour concrete pads, but this has not been completed as of 8/16.

The new 9 holes at stony creek have tee pads! Any eta on baskets? Anyone know when the holes at Oakland university will be redone?

They are working on Stony. The crew doing the work, has little interest in setting deadlines for people to get prickly about. Great group of guys who do immeasurable work for the local disc golf community. I have walked most of the holes and they will be a great addition to a world class facility. No eta.

Right from the horses mouth at Independence Lake Red Hawk DGC: After discussing some areas for improvement, the park staff is taking on an aggressive approach to the tall weeds in a few strategic areas where discs tend to land most often. Next time you play here look for wider fairways where it is most needed.

www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3096

The last review for Indy is hilarious. Rating it that low because you can't keep it in the fairway. "We compete with top AM1 players"...yet you lost 6 discs and were able to find 5 other bad thows. That's a lot of off fairway throws for top AM1 players lol. I'm horrible at disc golf and I've never lost one there (~25 rounds). Knocking down some weeds will be nice though.

Cascade Twp Park is RIP

The baskets were pulled yesterday.

The redesign is underway. I've been told the township is going to have the course in by this weekend. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

Tonight I was out with the fellow who submitted a redesign plan. The township has stated they are not going by his plan exactly. It will utilize the wooded area at the back of the park. Once all is said and done, I will try to pass along info.

I had Timg RIP the course. We will put a new page through when/if the redesign gets done :)

Not a huge deal but I am hearing of a 9 hole pole course at Woods and Waters Campground between white cloud and newaygo. I may go check it out tomorrow.

Right from the horses mouth at Independence Lake Red Hawk DGC: After discussing some areas for improvement, the park staff is taking on an aggressive approach to the tall weeds in a few strategic areas where discs tend to land most often. Next time you play here look for wider fairways where it is most needed.

www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3096

This was quite obvious when I played 10 days ago. They were pretty aggressive cutting back weeds/grass, opening up the fairways on many of the more open holes, but not overly so... big improvment in the spots where it's needed.

I also added LSSU dgc. Seems its been there a while but I found it on the scene today... :)

FYI: There's a new course called The Lyon's Den that recently opened up, pretty much just across the highway from Kensington Black Locust. Plays long and open with significant elevation. Almost like they snuck it in. No one I know of was even aware they were thinking about putting a course here let alone building one, and all of a sudden... boom! there it is.

Bring water and sunscreen... not much in the way of shade.

hmm,

The park is open daily from dawn until dusk. Please be advised that vehicles are not allowed to enter the park during winter and early spring, due to the roadways not being plowed and/or the ground being extremely soft. The park usually opens for vehicular traffic sometime around Easter.

could you update the location info with that news? this is michigan, we play wind, snow, sleet, rain, hail, lightning... having a course closed in winter/spring is something that should be mentioned in the course description. :)

wait, does this mean we can park elsewhere and walk in?

also , its an oakland county park? could you please write in how much it costs for residents/non residents per day if there is an entrance fee? i could not find info on website. dgscene says $2 to play.

http://lyontwp.org/detail.php?ContentSection=Community&ContentID=180

11 Mile & Milford Road

Currently vacant, this site has 64 acres that are available for a park in the future.

whoa... 64 VACANT acres. at 11 and milford. guys.... let us make a fantastic course here, whatddya say??

Last edited:
All the new tees and baskets are in at Stony Creek. There are now two 18 hole courses they are calling:
Buckhorn North: consists of the first 18 holes of the previous 27 hole layout, completely unchanged in any way.

Buckhorn South: consists of the holes 19-27 of the previous 27 hole course (unchanged in any way) plus 9 completely new holes. South course features considerably more changes in elevation than the north, along with all the thick, nasty, blood drawing thorny rough we've come to expect from new holes on previously unused land.

All the new tees and baskets are in at Stony Creek. There are now two 18 hole courses they are calling:
Buckhorn North: consists of the first 18 holes of the previous 27 hole layout, completely unchanged in any way.

Buckhorn South: consists of the holes 19-27 of the previous 27 hole course (unchanged in any way) plus 9 completely new holes. South course features considerably more changes in elevation than the north, along with all the thick, nasty, blood drawing thorny rough we've come to expect from new holes on previously unused land.

NICE!!

Cascade Park in Cascade Township, MI.

Cascade To Get Dog Park
The park has been closed for about two weeks now, there is some MASSIVE construction going on, but I could not find any information. Finally, I dug it up on MLive today. Looks like they're adding 2 Basketball courts, a dog park, and a lot of parking from what I can see of the construction currently going on. With as much as they're pulling out, I don't see a full 18 going back in unless they start using some of the back side of the park that was not used on the previous course.

Cascade To Get Dog Park
The park has been closed for about two weeks now, there is some MASSIVE construction going on, but I could not find any information. Finally, I dug it up on MLive today. Looks like they're adding 2 Basketball courts, a dog park, and a lot of parking from what I can see of the construction currently going on. With as much as they're pulling out, I don't see a full 18 going back in unless they start using some of the back side of the park that was not used on the previous course.

That is too bad. Hate to see us lose a course for a dog park. They are the most vile, proposterous things ever......and I am a dog lover and owner.

Same. There is some unused property closer to I-96 that may come into play for more DG holes, and they still have old hole locations marked with orange stakes, but I'm a bit concerned at this point... To lose this much ground in an already crowded park means that at BEST, we save 9 holes and deal with more foot traffic that doesn't understand the sport being played and often becomes belligerent when asked to observe their own safety and recognize our same right to be there...

Shared parks are rough. Oh well. Guess the Grand Rapids area can move on...

Cascade To Get Dog Park

A new design for Cascade is laid out. When the baskets will actually go in is up to Cascade Twp. Clearing for fairways back in the wooded area has already been worked on.

I hear they are /have cut out a ton of trees at cascade, which is a major bummer. That Park was already open enough.

A map of the new layout was posted on DG Scene for Cascade. I'm up at States, but when I get back I'm going to go out and see if the baskets have been put in yet.

Attachments

• newcascadelayout.jpg
    newcascadelayout.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts