• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

My brother-in-law just accepted a position in Traverse City. So It looks like I'll have an opportunity soon to bag my first Michigan Courses :D.

May I also suggest one of my personal favorites, Wild Haven. It's just south of Manton very close to where US-131 stops being a freeway. Camping and night play are encouraged. Wild puts solar lights on the baskets so they light up at night!

I couldn't bear watching the old baskets at Mt. Zion in Ironwood MI sit and be useless because they still work, they're just a bit dated and don't have inner chains.

Therefore I have explored and discovered perfect wooded land on the east side of the hill to expand the course, and we now have 12 holes playable, and I just got 2 more set up, and just need a bit of cutting.

Natural tees for the new holes and no signage at the moment, but it's in the works. Udisc has the new layout, and I'll update DGCR sooner or later.

Hoping to be able to route the last four around somewhere in that area I found to get to a full 18 holes by September :D

Not a new course post, but Michigan related. Sorry if it doesn't belong here.

I noticed Brewer wasn't on my courses played list even though it was like the fifth or sixth course I ever played. I called up all the extinct versions and the oldest ones listed are the four color 9-hole loops that existed probably the last time I was there 15 years ago or so. There wasn't a listing for just the original 18 with those old Mach II's, so I clicked "course played" for red and blue because I think that's the closest thing.

I seem to remember having to get there before noon to beat the crowds, and hearing Metallica blasting from more than two cars simultaneously in the always filled parking lot. When I moved to East Lansing in 1995, you had Grand Woods, Fitzgerald (with the old bike cable baskets!), Hudson Mills Original, Brewer, Johnson, Cold Brook, Beauty and the Beast and that was about it unless you made it to Detroit and played Addison Oaks, Firefighters and Wagner. My how times have changed. (I always thought of Madeline Bertrand as an Indiana course being 1 mile or so north of the border).

I encountered Chuck DeVries at VIRA when it was brand new and he said he played Brewer when it was a post course in the late seventies. That would be one of my time machine destinations for sure!

I was back in Michigan last week and I while I was there we played Roscommon DGC. This site has it listed as having 9 baskets, but went we showed up to our surprise we found a 18 basket course. Looks like there has recently been a major course redesign.

Not a new course post, but Michigan related. Sorry if it doesn't belong here.

I noticed Brewer wasn't on my courses played list even though it was like the fifth or sixth course I ever played. I called up all the extinct versions and the oldest ones listed are the four color 9-hole loops that existed probably the last time I was there 15 years ago or so. There wasn't a listing for just the original 18 with those old Mach II's, so I clicked "course played" for red and blue because I think that's the closest thing.

I seem to remember having to get there before noon to beat the crowds, and hearing Metallica blasting from more than two cars simultaneously in the always filled parking lot. When I moved to East Lansing in 1995, you had Grand Woods, Fitzgerald (with the old bike cable baskets!), Hudson Mills Original, Brewer, Johnson, Cold Brook, Beauty and the Beast and that was about it unless you made it to Detroit and played Addison Oaks, Firefighters and Wagner. My how times have changed. (I always thought of Madeline Bertrand as an Indiana course being 1 mile or so north of the border).

I encountered Chuck DeVries at VIRA when it was brand new and he said he played Brewer when it was a post course in the late seventies. That would be one of my time machine destinations for sure!

I too am of the age that I played the pole course of Brewer, back in the day.
Since then it has gone through several redesigns. The current design is by the far the best.
Times have changed as well concerning the parking lot. It's not the rowdy place it once was, thank God. There are so many quality courses in the area to choose from now that Brewer isn't the only place to play, so it's not as crowded any more.

https://www.facebook.com/North-Bluff-Disc-Golf-Course-195471964317068/

North Bluff DGC in Gladstone has been completed for a few weeks now, but apparently the Noc Bay Flyers don't feel the need to promote their own course on here, or anywhere else for that matter. Thank you Eric McCabe and Dynamic Discs Course Design for a beautiful and challenging course. Also a special thank you to Joe and Traci Pinar, Adam and Sam Williams, Brian Tourangeau, Andy Hillman, Robin Holmes, Ryan Edwardson, Kevin Loosa and many other volunteers who stepped up to make North Bluff a first class course.<3

Sounds like the course in Marlette will be closing based on description listed for the next tourney their. On course review. No idea on the details of why. Bummer.

Anybody with the inside scoop on River Park in Benton Harbor?

It's listed as unplayable due to flooding...?

Are these still the current conditions, and if so what's the fate of the course going forward?

Anybody with the inside scoop on River Park in Benton Harbor?

It's listed as unplayable due to flooding...?

Are these still the current conditions, and if so what's the fate of the course going forward?

With the exception of 17 and 2 I've heard that it is currently playable. I would update the status but I have yet to go out there yet this year. Be ready for bugs though.

Thanks Dave! :thmbup:

No problem. That course has been a source of much frustration for us locals. The township said they have the $$ for teepads and they will take care of it. Plus, there are ditches and culverts there that really need to be cleaned out to facilitate drainage especially for 18, 17 and 2. Now they are really dragging their heels on getting the pads installed - and that's partially because we've had back to back years of historic flooding. OTOH it's not like they don't have cash. They're putting in a new little playground on the upper level of that park and I am positive that is running in the five figure neighborhood. Probably like $50k. It's just maddening because when things are dried out it's a fantastic course - probably the best in Berrien County. :/

-Dave

No problem. That course has been a source of much frustration for us locals. The township said they have the $$ for teepads and they will take care of it. Plus, there are ditches and culverts there that really need to be cleaned out to facilitate drainage especially for 18, 17 and 2. Now they are really dragging their heels on getting the pads installed - and that's partially because we've had back to back years of historic flooding. OTOH it's not like they don't have cash. They're putting in a new little playground on the upper level of that park and I am positive that is running in the five figure neighborhood. Probably like $50k. It's just maddening because when things are dried out it's a fantastic course - probably the best in Berrien County. :/

-Dave

Thanks for the scoop!

So, the flooding is fairly atypical...I guess that's a positive aspect. :)

Last year when I played the course, it felt half-finished to a degree, and not just because of a lack of pads....felt like there was a lot of tight wooded lines with poison ivy *everywhere* including *inside the circle*...just everywhere.

I realize as time goes on and courses see play a lot of that newness gets worn in...but if the course isn't seeing play due to flooding I'm terrified to think of what the P.O. looks like now.

I can definitely understand locals being frustrated. The first bit of installation really raised my hopes, and now it sounds like poor follow through. I'd be frustrated too!

Just an update - Mt. Zion's full 18 is open. The UDisc layout is updated; I plan on updating DGCR tomorrow or sometime soon after.

Signage and some pruning is needed and that should get started within the coming week; been super busy :p

Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. Love that this thread is still going with updates. Thanks everyone for the great information. :thmbup:

The new course in Three Rivers (9 baskets, 18 tees) has been delayed to a 2020 opening.

Sounds like the course in Marlette will be closing based on description listed for the next tourney their. On course review. No idea on the details of why. Bummer.

The ball golf course was sold. So if you haven't play it yet, better hurry.

The ball golf course was sold. So if you haven't play it yet, better hurry.
Thanks for the heads up!

I'll have to see if I can get to there! Might be tough, since I have trips planned for the weekends of:
Aug 24th... Minneapolis
Labor Day weekend... Sugaree and others
Sep 14th... Chicago.

The soonest I could feasibly get there is Sep 7-8... hope it's not too late. I'll call them to find out when the course will be shut down.

Last edited:
Called Marlette today. The person that answered the phone today said they expect it to be available until Oct 15th.
Have to plan a day trip up to MVP territory...

Latest posts