• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Interesting. The layout I played when I last visited (May 2021 I believe) was still pretty good, but had a ridiculous walk near the end of the round and overall was a disappointment after having played the original 24 as a kid. It also lacked the top-of-the-world hole, which I assumed was going into that second 18.

This is current, I think? So maybe what I actually read was that they are done re-re-laying out the one side. :wall: https://www.traversecitymi.gov/government/city-departments/hickory-hills/disc-golf.html

This seems to indicate only the White course is open, but the Info page seems to contradict. Shrug. The White course is what we played last fall and minus the top of the world shot, it incorporated many of the old layout holes. It was a fun and tough round.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Hickory_Hills/comments

Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :p

sweeet thank you so much i took a pic of it to remember

i saw people online talk about wilderness state park and the porkies state park too seems to be michigans popular ones

marquette was a sick area it reminded me of duluth mn (marquette dg was pretty lackluster tho)

do you know if indiana dunes thing is worth stopping in by gary indiana

This seems to indicate only the White course is open, but the Info page seems to contradict. Shrug. The White course is what we played last fall and minus the top of the world shot, it incorporated many of the old layout holes. It was a fun and tough round.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Hickory_Hills/comments

That sounds like the one I played too. Shrug haha. I'll update at some point, probably later this summer...unless elmexdela gets there first. ;)

i saw people online talk about wilderness state park and the porkies state park too seems to be michigans popular ones

marquette was a sick area it reminded me of duluth mn (marquette dg was pretty lackluster tho)

Yeah my favorite state parks here are probably those two, to be honest. Although I probably still haven't been to a majority of them. Ludington has a nice state park too actually. Fun hiking trails and walk to the lighthouse.

I have never been to Indiana Dunes so I'm not sure. Sleeping Bear Dunes is *probably* superior, but that's just my hot take.

There's nothing worth stopping for in Gary, IN

*opinion based on multiple drivethroughs on the Indiana Toll Road

As a high schooler taking a day trip to Indiana for fireworks, we encountered awful traffic on the highway on the way back and decided to try side streets. Pre GPS, 3 suburban white boys hopelessly lost in Gary. We eventually found our way out and didn't get into any trouble. Got a lot of looks odd looks as we were clearly not from around there though. Don't think those neighborhoods saw many outsiders that were not there to buy drugs.

I remember liking the Warren dunes in SW Michigan better than Indiana dunes, haven't been to either in many years and have no idea what that opinion was based on. Pretty sure Sleeping Bear is > than either though.

Michigan State Parks are terrific and generally laden with solid amenities. They DO have a 9 or 10 quiet time which is pretty universally enforced. A couple guys chatting around a fire seems to be too much. FYI.

Wilderness and Porcupine parks are both fantastic....also among my favorites. They are definitely not the most popular...which is good.

IMO, State Forest Campgrounds, generally available in the National Forests you reference below, are a better plan. No electric or modern bathrooms, but far more laid back. They are usually planted on some pretty cool natural attraction. Often associated with trial heads.

Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :p

QFT :hfive:

Warren Dunes in Bridgman, MI are great but horrendously busy this this time of year. The Indiana national lakeshore dunes are rather pathetic compared to what's in Michigan IMHO. If you want to do dune hiking the further north you go the better with Sleeping Bear being the biggest of all. Keep in mind though that every one of the state parks are going to be busy and as I understand it, Warren Dunes being the busiest in the entire state.

Warren Dunes in Bridgman, MI are great but horrendously busy this this time of year. The Indiana national lakeshore dunes are rather pathetic compared to what's in Michigan IMHO. If you want to do dune hiking the further north you go the better with Sleeping Bear being the biggest of all. Keep in mind though that every one of the state parks are going to be busy and as I understand it, Warren Dunes being the busiest in the entire state.

The distinction goes to Ludington State Park, but you are right. Getting into nearly any Michigan State Park is difficult.

im super excited

thank yall for the suggestions

ill report back

im taking a lot of chances this trip and hoping everything works out

If travelling the U.S. 31 corridor north toward Flip City, I must suggest:

Whitehall DGC. 36 holes (3 sets of nines with 3 holes added each)
Henderson Lake DGC. 18 holes, one exit north at Montague.
Both of these are fully wooded, offer very solid golf, and are direct to the highway.

Branstrom Park offers great variety and is definitely worth a look.

Latest posts