• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Have any of you "up north" guys heard of this course? It is listed on UDisc and my nephews stumbled across it while camping in a county park on Pickerel Lake. They were reasonably impressed.

https://udisc.com/courses/camp-pet-o-se-ga-jLBL?latitude=18.016459&longitude=8.376481&zoom=2

This one is news to me too. My folks live in Harbor Springs and I spent my summers growing up on Crooked Lake. I usually just play Blissfest (great course) when I'm up there but I'll definitely check this one out next time we take the kiddos up to see the grandparents...

What and where is Rocky Top and how about some background, man!! :thmbup:

It was pretty fun when we played it last year. Definitely worth checking out if you're over that way.

Any word on what's going on with Wild Haven?

I wasn't clear if they totally closed to the public after the social media nonsense or if they just de-listed the course. I'll be in the general area first half of next week and wanted to see if that course is even an option.

I wasn't clear if they totally closed to the public after the social media nonsense or if they just de-listed the course. I'll be in the general area first half of next week and wanted to see if that course is even an option.

The courses are still listed on Disc Golf Scene. Mike has responded to a post on the comment page in the last couple days. Well worth the play. Bonus if Mike is around and can play. He is a terrific guy.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Wild_Haven_Disc_Golf_Resort/comments

I'm real close with Wildman, have been playing Disc Golf with him since 1996. Right now it's back to $5/day, I think. There are directions on the sign when you get there; I think he wants a call or something. He's redoing the back "Little Bigfoot" course so it's not all playable (although I caught a glimpse of some wonderful clearing he's done on #1). The original "Yetisburg" course is playable and great, as always. I'll be there in about ten days to spend a couple of nights there with my son!

Looks like I played Wild Haven on 5/27/22, along with Chain Valley. First I had met Mike, and he was certainly accommodating. He mentioned having a tree crew in for trimming in July I believe, as a couple spots were getting bad. What a piece property he has there, and can see the camping option as a good one if he can get it back. Big boy golf out there.

Yeah, he struggled hard with having disrespectful *******s on his course for a little while. It was getting to him pretty badly. Lots of people trying to sneak on the course without paying the paltry five bucks (while carrying expensive energy drinks and whatnot). Really pisses him off, and I can't blame him.

Contacted Whiskey Creek DGC/Campground today. They stated that they have no plans of removing the course and are not sure why the rumor is floating around. She asked for me to dispel the rumor, fwiw.

Thanks for digging into this a bit. It seems edmunder was the origin of this information. Maybe we will see him stop back and give some more insight. His profile states he is from Ludington. States is coming up. While I am not going, I will put a bug in a few guys ears to ask around as well.

Just played all 18 holes at a very rough around the edges (and IMHO not quite ready to list), Sorensen Park DG Course - Holly, MI.
https://app.udisc.com/applink/course/34173

Very technical, woodsy course with moderate elevation on a few holes. Lots of shot shaping. The disc play itself is quite good if you don't mind bugs and spending time looking for holes. Rough is quite nasty if a shot really gets away from you.

Absolutely zero signage, and natural tees make it impossible to find your way around without U-Disc, but if you're read for a scavenger hunt, it is playable, albeit in a pretty "roughed in" kind of way. Makes attacking some holes the way you really want off the tee a bit of a dicey proposition. I threw a lot of mids and controlled fairway shots, content to just keep it in the fairway.

Local told me it was listed on UDisc hoping more traffic would help tame it faster. Glad I could help. :\

In its current state, I'd say its a 2.0'ish.
Decent tees, signage, clearing/mowing of a few fairways would bump it to the 3.0, 3.5 at best.

I think most players will be happier waiting to play this one. But it'll be a solid course once all that good stuff happens.

Last edited:
Thanks for digging into this a bit. It seems edmunder was the origin of this information. Maybe we will see him stop back and give some more insight. His profile states he is from Ludington. States is coming up. While I am not going, I will put a bug in a few guys ears to ask around as well.

The Whiskey Hills rumor has been circulating for the past year here. The details of the rumor are that the owners have never seen a return on their investment and have been in talks with mountain bike clubs around the state to make it into a bike course. I do know there has always been tension between the local club and Whiskey Hills since an incident going back to the State tournament many years ago. Repeating just the rumors I've heard, so don't take this as fact. While Whiskey is here, it's such a gem to play even though the owners have never invested into fixing the mangled tee pads on much of the course. It is truly the one thing that holds this course back from true greatness.

Just played all 18 holes at a very rough around the edges (and IMHO not quite ready to list), Sorensen Park DG Course - Holly, MI.
https://app.udisc.com/applink/course/34173

Very technical, woodsy course with moderate elevation on a few holes. Lots of shot shaping. The disc play itself is quite good if you don't mind bugs and spending time looking for holes. Rough is quite nasty if a shot really gets away from you.

Absolutely zero signage, and natural tees make it impossible to find your way around without U-Disc, but if you're read for a scavenger hunt, it is playable, albeit in a pretty "roughed in" kind of way. Makes attacking some holes the way you really want off the tee a bit of a dicey proposition. I threw a lot of mids and controlled fairway shots, content to just keep it in the fairway.

Local told me it was listed on UDisc hoping more traffic would help tame it faster. Glad I could help. :\

In its current state, I'd say its a 2.0'ish.
Decent tees, signage, clearing/mowing of a few fairways would bump it to the 3.0, 3.5 at best.

I think most players will be happier waiting to play this one. But it'll be a solid course once all that good stuff happens.

I missed this. The FTF's are talking about using this course for Michigan Amateur Open next year. Playing both Holly Woods and Sorenson. So, they might have plans to crush a bunch of the work before then?

Latest posts