• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Played Duneberry Farms course a couple times while camping in Silver Lake area. Some really fun shots on this course and a decent variety of shapes for having zero elevation. Course plays fairly long for how compact the space they are working with is.

Several arrows pointing to the basket on every hole are helpful, but with one being an actual mando, are darn-right confusing at times. Pads are framed but not poured, but are easy enough to throw from. Worth checking out if you are in the area for sure.

Played Duneberry Farms course a couple times while camping in Silver Lake area. Some really fun shots on this course and a decent variety of shapes for having zero elevation. Course plays fairly long for how compact the space they are working with is.

Several arrows pointing to the basket on every hole are helpful, but with one being an actual mando, are darn-right confusing at times. Pads are framed but not poured, but are easy enough to throw from. Worth checking out if you are in the area for sure.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13315

This is a very juicy new West Michigan disc golf rumor working its way around the area right now. An entrepreneur who lives just north of Pen****er and south of Ludington is in the process of purchasing 45, yes FORTY FIVE, Discraft Chainstar Pro baskets to build two 18 hole courses and one 9 hole course on his property to create a mega disc golf course complex. These courses would be EXTREMELY close to the Mason County courses and aiming to be part of the State tourney in the near future. The courses are being designed by a well known course designer known for his pro-centric challenging layouts.

More details as they come in...

EDIT: Not sure why P-E-N-T-W-A-T-E-R was hilariously auto-censored. :)

This is a very juicy new West Michigan disc golf rumor working its way around the area right now. An entrepreneur who lives just north of Pen****er and south of Ludington is in the process of purchasing 45, yes FORTY FIVE, Discraft Chainstar Pro baskets to build two 18 hole courses and one 9 hole course on his property to create a mega disc golf course complex. These courses would be EXTREMELY close to the Mason County courses and aiming to be part of the State tourney in the near future. The courses are being designed by a well known course designer known for his pro-centric challenging layouts.

Lol at t+wat being censored.

Confirmed this just now with course designer. It will be a huge pro course with twin basket locations (36 baskets) and a separate family 9 hole course. It will be attached to a lakeside RV park that has elevation changes, dunes, and Lake Michigan views. Aiming to be "one of the best courses in the state."

Confirmed this just now with course designer. It will be a huge pro course with twin basket locations (36 baskets) and a separate family 9 hole course. It will be attached to a lakeside RV park that has elevation changes, dunes, and Lake Michigan views. Aiming to be "one of the best courses in the state."

Because THAT area needs more..........................:confused: :mad: :p :hfive:

Looks like I played Wild Haven on 5/27/22, along with Chain Valley. First I had met Mike, and he was certainly accommodating. He mentioned having a tree crew in for trimming in July I believe, as a couple spots were getting bad. What a piece property he has there, and can see the camping option as a good one if he can get it back. Big boy golf out there.

I've camped out there a bunch of times. If you pick a spot way out back away from the road it's just you and the crickets, and a sky full of stars. Had a very scary lightening storm come through once while I camped out. The OG course is great. Haven't played the newer course yet. If you're heading north to go to Traverse City or anywhere up there in the NW it's highly recommended, it's a very short detour off the main highway. You'll likely have the the place to yourself or close to it.

Soooo...This'll make Juke - happier - lol. I updated my review of Lake Arvesta. They've done loads of improvements in the last few weeks. The most notable of which is the round tee pads. The more I think about them the more I like the concept of round tees. These are some weird asphalt-ish composite material that is supposedly permeable so they'll never have standing water on them. In my professional career I've not seen any permeable pavements succeed but maybe this stuff will work in this application. It's still very much a work in progress but very playable. The only things I really don't like are the silly double mando on 14 and the double islands on 18.

Soooo...This'll make Juke - happier - lol. I updated my review of Lake Arvesta. They've done loads of improvements in the last few weeks. The most notable of which is the round tee pads. The more I think about them the more I like the concept of round tees. These are some weird asphalt-ish composite material that is supposedly permeable so they'll never have standing water on them. In my professional career I've not seen any permeable pavements succeed but maybe this stuff will work in this application. It's still very much a work in progress but very playable. The only things I really don't like are the silly double mando on 14 and the double islands on 18.

The designer, Jim Schultz of Eagle Wings, mentioned that the owner had been experimenting with a variety of materials to get the tee pads just right. In a recent conversation with Jim he also mentioned the owner bought some more adjacent land to further tweak Avesta and make a few of the holes more challenging, but in essence, the course layout is now set in stone.

The circular tee pads are awesome. They allow basket replacement without having to redo teepads. This concept is so novel that we just poured circular tee pads in cement for the new family 18 hole course in Manistee right on the lake, giving us flexibility to move basket location in the future with ease.

Double mando on 14 didn't factor into my round as I played from the longs (the mando is only from the shorts, IIRC). I noted it, but didn't think it looked too weird? What's your beef with it? Odd angle? Or just opposed to double mandos in general?

I agree 18 is weakest hole by a bit.

As long as Juke's happy...
Because ultimately, that's all that really matters. :p

Now I just need you to sell this concept to my wife... :| :|

The designer, Jim Schultz of Eagle Wings, mentioned that the owner had been experimenting with a variety of materials to get the tee pads just right. In a recent conversation with Jim he also mentioned the owner bought some more adjacent land to further tweak Avesta and make a few of the holes more challenging, but in essence, the course layout is now set in stone.

The circular tee pads are awesome. They allow basket replacement without having to redo teepads. This concept is so novel that we just poured circular tee pads in cement for the new family 18 hole course in Manistee right on the lake, giving us flexibility to move basket location in the future with ease.

I liked the material fine; weather or not (pun very much intended) they are permeable, or hold up over time, remains to be seen.

I will say, without the real signs up, and some way (such as a bolt marker on the sign) to definitively know which pin position the baskets are in, the round nature of the pads made where to throw much more ambiguous. So that's a note of caution on that style...maybe not the best design for a crowded park-style course unless they want to encourage wanton safari. :D :p

Double mando on 14 didn't factor into my round as I played from the longs (the mando is only from the shorts, IIRC). I noted it, but didn't think it looked too weird? What's your beef with it? Odd angle? Or just opposed to double mandos in general?

I'm kind of the opinion that mandos need to be used sparingly. In this case, the double mando is way too narrow. If the goal is to make the shorts more challenging then I think a better option is a different pin placement. The problem as I see it with something like that is this is being designed by Jim who is head and shoulders above 98% of disc golfers in skill and stuff like this is being designed to his skill level rather than the majority.

Plus, putting big white boards out in the middle of the woods like that sorta detracts from the scenery.

I just got back from a week spent at various places on the west side of the LP. Based on this thread and recent reviews, it looks like I wasn't the only one.

I absolutely love the area from starting at say Silver Lake on the south end through TC on the north. Even without all the great dg, that area just does it for me. Perpetually looking forward to my next trip back.

We stuck to shorter courses this time around (my little guy has a cast on his throwing arm), but still had a blast. Sounds like next time we're in the area, there will be some new big boy courses to spin!

This is a total aside and not course related exactly.
I signed up for that tournament a while ago solely because I wanted to play Lake Arvesta and a tournament seemed like a good excuse to do so. Booked a camp site with the family in South Haven since we're pretty familiar with that area, it wasn't until this weekend I finally checked out the other courses and realized they're an hour away, barely closer than just driving there from our house DOH.
Looking at the uDisc map I guess both St Joe and South Haven are 1 course short of a 3 course tournament, but given the current registration numbers, it seems like the tourney could've been SHARA/Lake Arvest in South Haven or LTP and River Park.

This is mostly also me whining about my poor geography skills since I just got burned by the same thing for States this weekend after realizing Flip City is nowhere near the campsite I booked in Ludington.

Arvesta to Lake Township Park - in case anyone was wondering...At least it's mostly highway driving.

It's also cake driving, too, we're not talking Chicago traffic here...:p ;)

I can drive down that stretch at 80 on cruise and hardly touch the wheel long stretches.

I don't play tournies but I thought SHARA paired well with Arvesta, as klodkrawler mentions.