• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Any work been done at all to expand Bald Mountain this summer? Still 13 baskets?

Any work been done at all to expand Bald Mountain this summer? Still 13 baskets?

I have heard on decent authority that this is pretty much dead in the water. I heard the park director, that was a big promoter of the project, has left and the new director is not a big fan. I don't think they are currently putting in any work to get additional holes in.

Bogey golfs with the guy that would know.........Bogey??

Speaking of rumors. I have heard that talks are significantly advancing on a potential course to be put into Dearborn Hills Golf Course and into Camp Dearborn in Milford. I will try to dig into this a bit more and keep y'all posted. Dearborn Hills is blocks from my house. I am VERY interested.

I have heard on decent authority that this is pretty much dead in the water. I heard the park director, that was a big promoter of the project, has left and the new director is not a big fan. I don't think they are currently putting in any work to get additional holes in.

Bogey golfs with the guy that would know.........Bogey??
Gotcha. I'd heard in January, via someone calling the parks, that the hope was still to get to 18 holes this year, though the idea for a 36 hole complex was dead for the reasons you outline.

Maybe I should have checked other sites before posting here, but I just found this little exchange from earlier this month on DGScene's discussion board for the course:
attachment.php

So it looks like maybe some work is being done as we speak?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.01.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.01.40 PM.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 105
Gotcha. I'd heard in January, via someone calling the parks, that the hope was still to get to 18 holes this year, though the idea for a 36 hole complex was dead for the reasons you outline.

Maybe I should have checked other sites before posting here, but I just found this little exchange from earlier this month on DGScene's discussion board for the course:
attachment.php

So it looks like maybe some work is being done as we speak?

Hmmmm....that is pretty recent. I am not sure if John is being coy in that exchange or he has not involved with the project much anymore. I have not been getting up that way for most of the summer and have not talked much to that crew. I hope they get the last 5 holes in. I have not even played the course. I have been waiting for a full 18 before I do.

Hmmmm....that is pretty recent. I am not sure if John is being coy in that exchange or he has not involved with the project much anymore. I have not been getting up that way for most of the summer and have not talked much to that crew. I hope they get the last 5 holes in. I have not even played the course. I have been waiting for a full 18 before I do.
I think it is worth it to play the 13 in the ground. I've driven the 90 minutes a handful of times since mid-2020 to play 3 loops of 13 - going long-short-long on the tees (6 holes have long tees). The challenge, in my opinion, is the closest we have to WR Jackson in the area, with WR Jackson being my favorite course I've ever played - so 13 fairways of that is worth the journey on occasion.

At the end of my 4 days staying in Ironwood, I double checked UDisc and saw that this was recently added right down the road. Facepalm. https://udisc.com/courses/wakefield-marenisco-school-OO5Y

School was in session when I drove by, and I won't have time to go back and play. Not I particularly would want to for any reason other than purely bagging purposes. It basically looked like 9 yellow banded DISCatchers scattered around the open school grounds. There were at least two within a fenced-in playground area, and another right in front of the school near the main parking lot. Likely to be unsafe for adult disc golfers and terrible for school kids, and a sub-1.0 DGCR rating kind of course. I don't even want to list it on here, and I don't list anything until I play it - but if someone else lists it I'll have to go play it next time I'm in that area. *sighs*

Another course for the Keweenaw Peninsula. They did a presentation at an event in Marquette over the weekend but I missed it. It apparently winds through a working farmstead, sounds interesting. Pay to play.

https://udisc.com/courses/constellation-farmstead-farm-course-Ilqd

I was able to get to this one today and play a round with the owner, AJ. I just listed it here, will keep filling in the info I have: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13467

This course is a lot of fun now, and could be something truly special in a year or two if AJ is able to keep pouring the time, money, and sweat into it that he is planning on.

Here's the quick-ish summary.
- It's always an 18 hole course but the configuration will change every couple weeks. There is a "front 9" that is always available. The back 9 rotates between two different pasture areas (baskets moved approximately every two weeks). If the south back 9 is open, it is played after hole 5 of the front 9. If the north back 9 is open, it is played after hole 8 of the front 9.
- The course is a ton of fun to play. AJ basically explained his thoughts behind the design of every hole to me, and I'm sure that helped my impression, but there is a ton of variety. The front 9 has some really tight, but I thought fair, par 3 throws through a beautiful apple orchard. Plus a couple longer holes that were well designed. The south back 9 has a couple of wide open bomber holes. Hole "1S" (the first hole of the south back 9) is a huge wide open fairway playing 700' down a gentle slope the whole way. It was a perfect day today and I was able to see Mt. Arvon in the distance from the tee (highest point in the UP). There are more technical throws in the back 9 too. The course does a really good job of intermingling wooded holes vs. more open ones.
- The equipment as it stands today is good, not amazing but fine for the course this currently is. Axiom Pro baskets are a choice I questioned at first but they seemed to catch OK. The tee pads are natural but there are really nice tee signs at each one. The navigational signage is impeccable!! Tape in basket rungs plus little white flags literally every 20'-30' to guide you to the next tee.
- HUGE future plans. He said that the course's grand opening was Labor Day weekend. By NEXT year Labor Day weekend, he hopes to have 1) two permanent teepads per hole 2) two baskets per hole and 3) an entire second 18 hole course in the state this one is currently in. The second course would be in a more thickly wooded area at the rear of his property which he said has more significant elevation change. He claimed there would also be a real parking area and a kiosk by the end of this year. That all sounded insane to me, but he also said that he only had the idea for this course in December 2021 - so it took him about 8 months to get where it is now.

I think I'm going to give it a 3.5 rating for now, but the eventual ceiling is probably higher than that. I can see it being given a 3.0 now if people play without talking to AJ. It's not a destination today but definitely worth checking out if anywhere near the area.

Last edited:
Not sure if this the best thread, but I figured Michigan DG'ers would know---

Can someone confirm or deny if Toboggan is open again for the month? Not whether it should be, but if it actually is? Planning on playing on 10-03.

I was able to get to this one today and play a round with the owner, AJ. I just listed it here, will keep filling in the info I have: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13467

This course is a lot of fun now, and could be something truly special in a year or two if AJ is able to keep pouring the time, money, and sweat into it that he is planning on.

I had seen that one on Udisc when we went up there in July. I wasn't going to have time to play it unfortunately. Thanks for the write up and look forward to a review at some point. Keep up the excellent work across the lake (and this side), it's truly impressive stuff. :thmbup:

The course is indeed open and baskets are in. They are finishing up a large tournament this weekend.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Oakland_County_Championship_2022

So the course is in, but closed to casual play today. It has been absolutely documented by the HCMP system that it will be open for play on starting Monday Oct. 3. Have fun, bring water and good boots.

I had seen that one on Udisc when we went up there in July. I wasn't going to have time to play it unfortunately. Thanks for the write up and look forward to a review at some point. Keep up the excellent work across the lake (and this side), it's truly impressive stuff. :thmbup:

Thanks man <3 it's been a fun but tiring trip lol. Within the next 12 hours or so I will have played every course listed on DGCR in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I just have one 9er to go near Marquette where I am currently staying. :D It will probably take me till midwinter to get all the reviews written. I don't know how some of y'all can bag courses AND review during the trip!

Edit: I just noticed that will also be my 150th course. Dangit, should've saved a good one. Oh well lol. Maybe Lake Superior Christian Church will surprise me!

Powdermill was a fun course, but I didn't review cuz I was on my honeymoon. Ditto Porcupine Mt.

I think that just means I have an excuse to get back up there! :)

Good work, DFRah.

Powdermill was a fun course, but I didn't review cuz I was on my honeymoon. Ditto Porcupine Mt.

I think that just means I have an excuse to get back up there! :)

Good work, DFRah.

Yeah, congrats!!

And would definitely recommend a return trip. :D Marquette area is becoming kind of an under-the-radar destination for disc golf, IMO.

Latest posts