• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

im goin to marquette next week

i did a fat bike and dg mainly visit when i was out there a few years ago

this time i plan to only play that new church course and maybe a few others

anyone have any suggestions for hiking/snowshoe

i did sugar loaf and hogsback and i liked them

i saw the look out from mount marquette already

i liked deadman falls

Enjoy!!! There have been some other DG changes besides the addition of that church course, if you get time.
- Al Quaal got expanded from a 9er to a championship level full 18. Not sure how playable it would be in the snow though. My review on the site here reflects the old 9 and is on my list to update.
- Old Town got expanded from 18 to 27. Might be tough here in the snow too.
- As for that church course, it's nothing great but there was nothing really wrong with it either. Probably a good option for winter play. I'm going to give it a 2.0 rating when I get to that review.

Got 9 holes on the Meadows Course (The Foz) cleaned up. The course was really left unfinished, after initial installation. Tee pads, baskets and hole markers are in, but some pads literally faced a wall of shule and trees. We really opened up a few holes and pads, making technical, but fair lines to play.

Bogey is a beast. I am sure I heard brush crying out loud, at the sight of him and a pair of loppers.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

Enjoy!!! There have been some other DG changes besides the addition of that church course, if you get time.
- Al Quaal got expanded from a 9er to a championship level full 18. Not sure how playable it would be in the snow though. My review on the site here reflects the old 9 and is on my list to update.
- Old Town got expanded from 18 to 27. Might be tough here in the snow too.
- As for that church course, it's nothing great but there was nothing really wrong with it either. Probably a good option for winter play. I'm going to give it a 2.0 rating when I get to that review.

thank you for the heads up

it is much appreciated

Got 9 holes on the Meadows Course (The Foz) cleaned up. The course was really left unfinished, after initial installation. Tee pads, baskets and hole markers are in, but some pads literally faced a wall of shule and trees. We really opened up a few holes and pads, making technical, but fair lines to play.

Bogey is a beast. I am sure I heard brush crying out loud, at the sight of him and a pair of loppers.

Great work you and Bogey both. Much appreciated, I've always had an affinity for that course, great to see work being done out there. BTW, the 54 we shot last week on the original course held up for 1st. I'm thinking there is nothing stopping us for a repeat win on the Foz this week.

i added wakefield marenisco school which apparently looks like it used to be an object course but now has nice new discathers

also there is one called boulder alley https://udisc.com/courses/boulder-alley-S1e8

i didnt add boulder alley in republic since it seems incomplete but if someone else who has moar local knowledge or if someone checks it out feel free to add it on here

Me when more courses pop up in the UP right after I finally finished bagging all of them:
attachment.php

Also me when more courses pop up in the UP right after I finally finished bagging all of them:
attachment.php

Attachments

• are-you-kidding-me-cat2.jpg
    are-you-kidding-me-cat2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 141
  • lets-gooo-lets-go.jpg
    lets-gooo-lets-go.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 139
Things are going down at Cold Brook...From Larry LeBond on Facebook:

I've been trying to think of what to say about what is happening with Cold Brook Park's disc golf course. As many of you may know that in 2020, after 25 seasons of running leagues and tournaments at Cold Brook Park, I had mover my league and events out of Cold Brook Park because of issues I was having with the Park's Director. I also stopped doing any kind of maintenance and course improvements there as well. Since then, attendance at Cold Brook Park has noticeably gone down (even in a time when the sport is exploding!) and they are now considering shrinking the course down to 18 holes and pulling all the holes on the west side of the park road. So, holes 19-22 will be gone. They believe that they will rent the pavilion by the boat ramp more with the disc golf course no longer near that pavilion (even though those holes are closed on the weekends). They are also considering a complete course redesign. The Park's Director wants a "championship/destination" course there, but he does not seem to believe me that there isn't the land there to do that without taking over more of the park, which they will not do. They are getting the opinions of a few other course designers about the design.
I recently went out there to meet with the Park Manager about course improvements. We never really discussed improvements. That did not seem to be the reason I was asked to meet out there. I was questioned as to why attendance was down, about other groups that use the course and about the disc golf scene around town, and how people would react to shrinking the course down to 18 holes. I expressed that people did not like how the league was chased out of there. That people don't like paying to get in the park and never see any money put back into the course. That lack of regular maintenance (mowing, emptying trash cans, trimming, and dealing with fallen trees and limbs in a timely manner) is a huge problem. That the baskets, tees, signs, benches, … all need to be replaced. That erosion control is a big issue and retaining walls need to be replaced and new ones built or some other way to deal with erosion done. I expressed that the course design isn't the issue and that people enjoy the current layout. I also expressed that a new design could improve the course, but I don't believe that they will get their "championship" design or get anything that is that much better than what is currently there. My biggest concern in a redesign would be what would happen to the trees. Obviously, a lot of trees would have to be removed to do a new design and that remaining trees would die quicker if drives were now hitting them on their other side. I just don't really see much of a gain in a new design, especially when you remove the few open and water holes on the course. It would also mean a long walk during the winter to get to the disc golf course.
I do not know what their intent is other than I believe they have decided to pull 19-22 permanently. I don't know if they are going to do any improvements or not. So, I want to inform the disc golf community about what is going on and give you the chance to voice you opinion to the Park Board about the disc golf course at Cold Brook Park. I think they have the wrong attitude when they are shrinking a facility that has been extremely popular for years, that gets used everyday of the week, all year round because they want to make more money by renting a pavilion a handful more times a year.
If you would like to get involved or at least let the Park Board know your opinions of how things are at Cold Brook Park's Disc Golf Course and what you would like to see there, now is the time. The Park Board meets this Thursday (Dec 1st) at 3pm at the Fair Grounds in the Expo Center in room "B". The Fairgrounds are at: 2900 Lake St, Kalamazoo, MI 49048
There will be a chance for the public to comment at the meeting, but not ask questions. So, you can speak as to any issues you have with the course and the direction it has been going, but keep things respectful!
You can also write an email. I would send emails to the Park's Secretary but address it to the Park Board. Her email is: [email protected]

Hmmmm......I have played CB well over a dozen times, including a Worlds. it is an old school wooded, park style course. It is short and technical. It also has a aged charm that makes it a special track.

But, maybe it is time to let it go. It had some safety issues, IMO. They were mostly mitigated with infrastructure, but the OG design was dated and in need of a rethink. The erosion and tree damage is indeed a concern, IMO. Obviously, I do not advocate for course removal often, but it might be the best for this park and this golf community. Kzoo is not short on options, nor quality. I do think ANY changes would benefit from Larry's insight and input. I hope the best for CB, my old friend.

Hahaha!

I may have said this before but I highly recommend Marquette as an under-the radar DG destination. There are now three 18-holers and a 27-holer all basically right in town that are fun. Plus three 9-holers in the area that have wide variety between them and aren't terrible plays either. I have two reviews to update and one to write from that collection of courses in my queue.

Plus...

New course in Republic MI - Boulder Alley. 9 holes now, two tees. Next summer will have concrete tees and 18 holes!

A private 20 hole beast on 20 acres, par 63, 6400', 160' of elevation from the top of the highest Ridge. INNOVA Discatcher 28 chain baskets and turf tees, centrally located to all the area courses.

The guy in charge of KZoo County Parks is the same guy who was in charge of St. Joseph County Parks a little over 20 years ago when I convinced him to expand a new and awful 9-holer at Meyer Broadway in Three Rivers to a real 18.

I see things haven't changed at all with him. Although I am forever grateful that he went with my suggestion to redo the original 9 at Meyer Broadway and get 9 more baskets (a park ranger who had never played in his life created the first "layout" if you want to call it that), he was difficult to work with and not eager to spend a penny on the course once it was there. Plus, he single-handedly put in several holes near the end of my 2001-2002 design that weren't mine at all and really sucked. He refused to have more than tiny fairways mowed on top of that. It was barely playable until a new parks superintendent took over and another faction who I'm not involved with redid it for the 2008 worlds.

Today Meyer Broadway has never been better, thank goodness. It's awesome.

So, yeah, that original St. Joe guy has been the Kzoo County guy for awhile and Cold Brook has done nothing but languish in the meantime. They chased off the K'Aces league there and still have the dilapidated old Mach 3 baskets, for starters.

(I was certainly no fan of CB when I first moved here in 1998, and saw two people bloodied by being hit in the head with drives in just a couple of years there, but it has its charms and I'd hate to see it wither away.)

Last edited:
Plus...

New course in Republic MI - Boulder Alley. 9 holes now, two tees. Next summer will have concrete tees and 18 holes!

A private 20 hole beast on 20 acres, par 63, 6400', 160' of elevation from the top of the highest Ridge. INNOVA Discatcher 28 chain baskets and turf tees, centrally located to all the area courses.

Guess I'll be returning to the UP once again in 2023. :D

And last night we received approval to add another 18 hole course adjacent to the Powder Mill course in Marquette!!! We have almost 100 acres to work with and will be designing longer style Championship course to add to our mix. (Still including those fun amateur tees!)

And last night we received approval to add another 18 hole course adjacent to the Powder Mill course in Marquette!!! We have almost 100 acres to work with and will be designing longer style Championship course to add to our mix. (Still including those fun amateur tees!)

Awesome news.
Hopefully no BMX trails will be near the new courses. :D

Hmmmm......I have played CB well over a dozen times, including a Worlds. it is an old school wooded, park style course. It is short and technical. It also has a aged charm that makes it a special track.

But, maybe it is time to let it go. It had some safety issues, IMO. They were mostly mitigated with infrastructure, but the OG design was dated and in need of a rethink. The erosion and tree damage is indeed a concern, IMO. Obviously, I do not advocate for course removal often, but it might be the best for this park and this golf community. Kzoo is not short on options, nor quality. I do think ANY changes would benefit from Larry's insight and input. I hope the best for CB, my old friend.

Wise words. Sometimes it's best not to fight with people who just aren't on the same page. Let them have their park and they can deal with whatever comes of it. Larry's energy and the local community of players are best diverted elsewhere where people want to work with them and they are appreciated.

Wise words. Sometimes it's best not to fight with people who just aren't on the same page. Let them have their park and they can deal with whatever comes of it. Larry's energy and the local community of players are best diverted elsewhere where people want to work with them and they are appreciated.

TOTALLY agree with this. Disc Golf can and should take center stage at exclusive use properties. We been in the same boat where we're fighting and pushing so hard to get a course where we want one, but the landowner just doesn't share that vision. Go work with those who want to work with you.

i might have asked you before but why does it feel like marquette got leftover picks of land to use for dg

i aint local but i have been to marquette twice now

seems like yall are stepping your game up tho and gettin a nice cluster of courses

looks like ill have to be back for round 3

Latest posts