• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

The Battle Creek Kiwanis have approved the installation of an 18 hole course at their outdoor education center. It will be just south of 94 near exit 97, 10 minutes or so east of Coldbrook.

It's a beautiful piece of property that is rife with mature woods, Minges Creek, moderate elevation changes, and a large meadow. The goal is to have a course similar in nature and difficulty to Cold Brook, with some room to stretch out a bit with long and short tees. Oshtemo would be a wonderful target example.

Construction will begin in spring on the front 9 with the intent on it being playable Summer '23. Back 9 tentatively scheduled for summer of '24, but if fundraising continues to go as well as it has we may be able to get the whole thing installed next year.

Posted earlier in the year about it, but the new (rebuilt) back 9 at Kimball Pines is doing great! It's been playable since early summer but improvements have continued through the year, primarily regarding brush removal and fairway shaping. The construction of the new entrance appears to be complete (it's accessible at any rate), new parking, paved paths to the new pavilion - it's a heck of a fun course! Still need to put in signs, fix a pad, and work on paving alternates, but it's coming along.

Outstanding! Can't wait to see the new course, and it's nice to see Kimball Pines back to 18 again. I stopped by to play it when it just had 9 and was brand-new. Back in the day I saw Todd Branch and Al Schack throwing 400' Aviar drives on the road...

U-Disc shows a new course just popped up in Dearborn:

Fairlane East - Dearborn, MI
https://app.udisc.com/applink/course/37105

Located at Rotunda & Lindenwood.
Distances are:

It's on the grounds of an apartment/condo complex. Looks like it might be a gated community, but I dunno if there's any sort of security enforcement.
Limited Access. Course is in a private community and is open to all residents and guests.

I also don't know if I think it plays as tight as it is - if you're scattershot you'll occasionally get deep into the woods at Willow, and it IS very dense - but the density serves to keep you out on the edge quite often. Its hard to penetrate into the woods unless you're ripping it right at them or fading really hard straight into them.

I suppose more than Kensington, the rough at Willow is varying degrees of punishing like that, depending on what time of year it is, and how much of it has leaves to help cushion against penetration. A couple weeks ago it was...less than polite to me, when a couple tree kicks sent me pretty far into the bushes. Curse the glide on those Comets! :gross::D

Distances are:

It's on the grounds of an apartment/condo complex. Looks like it might be a gated community, but I dunno if there's any sort of security enforcement.

I am having lunch with a girl that live in Fairlane East on Friday. I had gotten wind of this course a week or two ago. I will ask her about it and try to get access.

ru4por out here cat-fishing girls on dating websites, speaking sweet nothings into their inboxes, only to show up and try to work his way onto their disc golf courses.

Disc-fishing?
Cat-Squidding?

Actually lets probably not go with that second one. Its kinda ick sounding.

ru4por out here cat-fishing girls on dating websites, speaking sweet nothings into their inboxes, only to show up and try to work his way onto their disc golf courses.

Disc-fishing?
Cat-Squidding?

Actually lets probably not go with that second one. Its kinda ick sounding.

Lol...she is a cute, saucy little redhead. I am strictly a Christian Mingle kind of guy...:gross:....:p

Besides, a bagger does what a bagger needs to do.

Looming, my friend, looming. It is now a heavy winter anchor, that needs to be shed before the onslaught of fair weather bagging. :thmbup::thmbup:

It's always fun hitting a milestone number like that. I can't remember what my 300 was, but I think flip was 350 for me. Then I kinda went off the rails overboard. The journey is what's most important though.

The journey is what's most important though.
That's my take on it. I've been fortunate enough to play many of the the best courses in a bunch of states, and got to enjoy some some great scenery and meet a bunch of people along the way.

I play the courses in whatever order is most convenient for me, on that specific trip, at the time. Doesn't matter to me if Maple Hill was #400 or #406. What matters is playing Maple Hill, and hitting #400. I'm not overly concerned that the two have to coincide.

If they do, that's nice. But its still nice if they don't.
But everyone's welcome to do their thing.

Yes, the journey. I have found many awesome and unique places to eat on my bagging travels, like the Puerto Rican restaurant in Coco Beach for instance. Also ate the same coney dogs that Elvis ate etc...

Because I always put unreasonable timelines upon myself when I go on vacation, I find myself to be a "destination" kind of a guy (see my map of courses played in other post & note my Arizona trip).
Maybe when I get to be a retiree like our buddy ru4, then I will ease back on the throttle & take my sweet-a$$ time. Which will be 1275 days and a wake up (how we use to count down things in the military).
By that time I hope to be over 400 courses played. Maybe too I'll be able to catch up with Bogey. He is younger than me after all.

Distances are:

This seems similar to Independence Greens. I was hired to design it and develop some of the course, they said they'd finish the rest, but they never once told me it was meant to be for residents only. There seem to be a ton of these apartment complexes around SE MI that have old defunct bolf courses on their property. It sure could be a great sales pitch for a designer/devleoper. Too bad I work full time doing something else :thmbdown::doh:

This seems similar to Independence Greens. I was hired to design it and develop some of the course, they said they'd finish the rest, but they never once told me it was meant to be for residents only. There seem to be a ton of these apartment complexes around SE MI that have old defunct bolf courses on their property. It sure could be a great sales pitch for a designer/devleoper. Too bad I work full time doing something else :thmbdown::doh:

FWIW - Independence Green's a decent track, so thanks for your work and effort.

Never could find the teepad for #3. Still a fun spin

Tee sign disappeared some time ago. Dunno what happened to it. Shane, cause they're pretty nice tee signs, too. :\

#3 tee is right near the SE corner of the parking lot of the office bldg on Grand River Ave. UDisc map should basically put you there... but you can't tell exactly where it is.

I am having lunch with a girl that live in Fairlane East on Friday. I had gotten wind of this course a week or two ago. I will ask her about it and try to get access.

So I've been here quite a few times before, a friend years ago lived there. From what I remember, they're pretty strict with outsider access, I remember the pool and the clubhouse being for members and guests only and them being hardcore about it, checking passes or it requiring keys to get past locked gates. I'm pretty sure they had a basketball or tennis court too and everything was behind locked gates that required resident only access. Been a decade at least since I was there but I definitely remember them being kinda military about everything.

I'd bet anything that they're going to have the same no outsider policy regarding the discgolf course as well, but hopefully someone can fill us in on what the actual rules are.

On a side note, weather is looking good tomorrow and looks like we dodged all the snow last night. 24 chains will be at Willow, you should join the shenanigans, I'm sure I'll be sticking around for a second round afterwards as well if that ain't your thing.

Workday for Nash Park in Livonia. Putting in the baskets, trimming some trees and clearing some brush. I realize that many here don't really live near Livonia, but thought it interesting anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/events/646173740554154/?active_tab=discussion

Today's work day at Nash Park went well, mostly because it was organized. The person who headed up the project set up three teams with clear objectives in mind:

One team dedicated to clearing brush and limbs, and making sure fairways are clear.
A 2nd digging holes for baskets.
A 3rd for assembling, installing, and levelling the baskets.

Everyone understood what they needed to do.

At this point, the tees are just flags in the ground, to see if anything needs to be tweaked going forward, but all 9 baskets got installed today. :)

Terrain is flat, but I liked what I saw in terms of having several well-wooded, shot shaping holes, with a few holes that are relatively open with just a few trees to avoid. I don't think it'll be the most beginner friendly course, but I don't think it'll be too intimidating, either.
Update: Unfortunately, that didn't last very long. Baskets have been pulled. Not really sure what happened. A homeowner who lives adjacent to the park wasn't at all happy a course was going in when we were working. Can't help but wonder if they bent the right ear at city hall, or whatever. All I know is all the baskets are gone. :(

The guy who organized the course install posted this on DG Scene last Mon.

Nash Park Update:
1.The temporary course is being removed Wednesday morning

2.There's nothing any of you have done that is causing this, unfortunately the course is being met with opposition from the neighbors.

3.Livonia Parks and Recreation is still committed to installing a disc golf course in the next year. The decision was made was to remove the course for now and readdress in the spring likely via parks commission meetings. It could be potentially relocated to Stymelski Park depending on the outcomes.

4.I want to sincerely thank the 20 people who came out to prep the course and hopefully it can go back in soon.

5. How can you help? Send me an email at [email protected] sharing why you think Livonia needs a disc golf course, why it's good to have in a neighborhood for children to access easily and why it's good for the community. I will save those emails to be shared at future meetings regarding the course.

Latest posts