• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Powder Mill and Silver Creek are must plays. Then you have Old Town 27, a great course built in the ruins of old Negaunee after the town was abandoned due to mine collapses, the newly designed Al Quaal 18 which I haven't played yet, Eagle Rock is a fun 9 hole that's worth playing as is the 9 hole at Lake Superior Church. Boulder Alley in Republic is being expanded to 18 holes this year, not sure of the progress there. And an hour south is my home course North Bluff in Gladstone, a 27 hole championship course designed by Eric McCabe.
Thanks man. I really appreciate the insight. Maybe we will try to get down to Gladstone on the way home.

Thanks man. I really appreciate the insight. Maybe we will try to get down to Gladstone on the way home.
+1 the North Bluff recommendation. And most of what crippler said. I think Old Town is more fun than Silver Creek personally. The new Al Quaal is beautiful, but a long hike.

Also, was at Boulder Alley yesterday and no indication of a back nine there yet. Front nine has tee signs now though. It will be a pretty solid course one day, but this year I'd recommend all the others mentioned before you go there.

The Buck Buchanan course across from Powder Mill is definitely nowhere close to playable yet. Just investigated the area near what will be holes 2/12/13 (according to map on Patronicity page). Some trees are marked for removal but that's about all I saw. No updates on the Powder Mill kiosk either.

I'm not surprised. Disc Da U.P. is notoriously slow at pretty much everything they do. The money is in place so it will be built, but who knows when it will be done.

You lucky son of a gun. Shoot me a message on those Marquette date(s), might be down to meet up with you for a day or two. Been dying to get up there myself and looking for an excuse to do it.
We'll be up in the Charlevoix area Sept 18 - 21. Not sure exact plans but planning on McSauba, East Jordan, Boyne, Avalanche, Petoskey. Hanson Hills on the 21st is cemented because it's on the way home but everything else kinda going with the flow. You or Ru hit me up if you're interested in joining us one of those days.

We'll be up in the Charlevoix area Sept 18 - 21. Not sure exact plans but planning on McSauba, East Jordan, Boyne, Avalanche, Petoskey. Hanson Hills on the 21st is cemented because it's on the way home but everything else kinda going with the flow. You or Ru hit me up if you're interested in joining us one of those days.
Damn....you are hitting squarely in the middle of my trip to Highbridge. I am too late into planning, lodging and couch surfing plans to shuffle stuff around. Hopefully the colors will be changing for ya. Have a great trip, Nick.

Damn....you are hitting squarely in the middle of my trip to Highbridge. I am too late into planning, lodging and couch surfing plans to shuffle stuff around. Hopefully the colors will be changing for ya. Have a great trip, Nick.
Thanks, I'm just hoping to be playing again by then, I've been sidelined since mid June with smashed nerves in both feet (neuroma). Not fun. Worst case I'll be hiking at least, I can do that, it's planting and throwing giving me problems.

Thanks, I'm just hoping to be playing again by then, I've been sidelined since mid June with smashed nerves in both feet (neuroma). Not fun. Worst case I'll be hiking at least, I can do that, it's planting and throwing giving me problems.
Wow. Thanks sucks Nick. I have not seen your name floating around leagues much this summer. I have dealt with a round of Morton's neuroma before. I was able to rest it, throw a serious round of Motrin at it and change shoes. I hope you heal up and get back out there.

I can relate. Still recovering from tendon repair surgery in both knees nearly six months ago. Walking and biking are good, but still can't take any sort of aggressive/athletic step (e.g. runup)

Played my first round since my injury last Sunday at Firefighters (purposely picked a short, flat course).

Putting and short game went well. :) But pretty much every tee shot was either or maybe a single step type of throw. Hoping I progress quite a bit more with additional PT.

I was already a noodle arm.
Not sure what you call a noodle arm who can't take a run up. 🫤

Thanks guys, I'm getting there. I spent most of June and July hobbling around, I sure did smash them up pretty good. I am feeling pretty solid but not quite there yet. Podiatrist was really keen on me staying off it until I'm feeling 100%, or else it could become chronic and require surgery. Good news is that I went to doctor right away first sign, and she said it was very small, early stage and wouldn't require surgical removal as long as I stayed off it, but that it might take weeks/months to recover, nerves are tricky.

The money is there for the back nine at Boulder Alley so it will go in eventually.
+1 the North Bluff recommendation. And most of what crippler said. I think Old Town is more fun than Silver Creek personally. The new Al Quaal is beautiful, but a long hike.

Also, was at Boulder Alley yesterday and no indication of a back nine there yet. Front nine has tee signs now though. It will be a pretty solid course one day, but this year I'd recommend all the others mentioned before you go there.

I hope so. We are going to take our time. We are planning to stay in the Highbridge area for 4 or 5 days and likely play a course each day. Leaves some time for checking local attractions and plenty of rest [beer and food]. 😉
It'll probably be on your itinerary already but I definitely used to love the atmosphere at South Shore Brewery in Ashland. Basement game room was always a nice relaxed atmosphere, right near the water, and some great brews. Their Nut Brown Ale definitely drove my love of brown ales (I was 21 that summer, and the most crazy beer I'd ever had was probably a Yuengling).

It'll probably be on your itinerary already but I definitely used to love the atmosphere at South Shore Brewery in Ashland. Basement game room was always a nice relaxed atmosphere, right near the water, and some great brews. Their Nut Brown Ale definitely drove my love of brown ales (I was 21 that summer, and the most crazy beer I'd ever had was probably a Yuengling).
Food was pretty good if that's the place next the hotel I stayed at summer after c-19...

I'm not surprised. Disc Da U.P. is notoriously slow at pretty much everything they do. The money is in place so it will be built, but who knows when it will be done.
Boooo!

Slow my arse...you take an uncut and unimproved forest and make a course out of it!!! The fundraiser JUST concluded May 30, and we didn't even get the money for another two weeks!!!
We have the rough cut done on holes 1-6, plus the practice area, in just two days. Three more days of clearing, then the contractor/volunteer installing tee pads, and all the baskets have been received and awaiting install. Plus we are building a friggin parking lot! Tee signs will NOT be up until next year so we can fine tune anything. If anything is slow, it's because volunteerism is NOT people's number one priority.

Boooo!

Slow my arse...you take an uncut and unimproved forest and make a course out of it!!! The fundraiser JUST concluded May 30, and we didn't even get the money for another two weeks!!!
We have the rough cut done on holes 1-6, plus the practice area, in just two days. Three more days of clearing, then the contractor/volunteer installing tee pads, and all the baskets have been received and awaiting install. Plus we are building a friggin parking lot! Tee signs will NOT be up until next year so we can fine tune anything. If anything is slow, it's because volunteerism is NOT people's number one priority.
👏👏👏

Anyone played Lake Arvesta in South Haven yet? I feel like it has Silver Series potiential.

I didn't really like it, but it also didn't seem totally done when I played last fall. In the plus column, it's pretty open, so plenty of room for spectators.

Might be a better course for tourney play than for casual play. My impression is that it might be too easy for touring pros, but I was just playing my game when I was there (which has little in common with the game they are playing).

I'll probably be back at some point to see the finished product, but there are a bunch of courses higher on the list for replay.