• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigans Kensington Toboggan

I'm planning my annual one disc speed golf round on the Toboggan. Probably try to do it early Wednesday or Thursday, like 8am. PM for details.

I've finished it under an hour in both attempts. :sick:

Foot Fault!

Anyone know if the course is open for casual play on Friday evening?

I am in the area this week for work and swung by the course tonight. The players dinner was from 7-9 so the course emptied around 7 and I got a round in. The tournament is schedued every day this weekend from 7-7, but you might be able to get a round in after 7. I heard it stays open a week or two after the tournament. It is sponsored by discraft, which the headquarters is 15 minutes from the course. So you could always just call discraft and ask how long the course will be open so that you don't waste a drive down.

I thought they took the course down immediately after the tournament. If it does stay up another week I'll be able to hit it on the way back from a vacation in Ontario.

Course is scheduled to come down IMMEDIATELY after tournament. According to Kensington and Discraft. Better hurry!!!

It usually stays open after nats.
A bunch of us shore acres guys are road tripping with the grand rapids crew for some $$ dubs next weekend :p

Can temp courses make it into the Top Ten? If so, look for Toboggan soon as I just wrote review #20 and its overall rating is enough to propel it about halfway up the list!

Can temp courses make it into the Top Ten? If so, look for Toboggan soon as I just wrote review #20 and its overall rating is enough to propel it about halfway up the list!

Nope!! Good reason too! You can only play it one month out of the year, making it non top ten. Sad that all Kensington would have to do is get their head out of their a$$es and they would have a top ten course. They care more about their sled hill then having a couple world premier courses. Not top 10.

Nope!! Good reason too! You can only play it one month out of the year, making it non top ten. Sad that all Kensington would have to do is get their head out of their a$$es and they would have a top ten course. They care more about their sled hill then having a couple world premier courses. Not top 10.

From what Philip Shelton, the Am Nats TD, told me last year the reason for such limited usage of the course has to do with some rare geologic feature of the rocks in the area. There's an agreement with the park (and other higher ups) that the course is available as long as we don't start to tear up the ground. Not sure if that's the entire story but that's what I was told.

i would assume that continued walking up and down some of those steep hills would start to wear the grass away. after that a few good rains could create some bad washouts and do some damage. erosion could become a serious problem out there.

Besides its a course built specifically for a championship tourney. It would be kinda lame if us Michigan guys got to play it year round while guys a thousand miles away could only make it here for nats. I like that it offers a pretty neutral playing field.

Glad to see people enjoyng this course. Had a chance to talk to some players from out of state, and they thought it was a sweet course, with very unforgiving rough. :eek: It's a good thing the Discraft throws a few spotters out there for the tourney (they really do run a great event).

I kinda like that it's a temp course, keeps it from getting beat down and nasty looking from too much traffic. The fact that it's only open a few weeks a year adds to the special flavor.

Over the last 12 months, I've had the privilege of playing: Flip, Idlewild, Fly Boy, all three IGDC courses, Leviathan, Moraine, Deer Lakes, Hornet's Nest, Nevin and Rennaissance Park... every single one of them, incredible courses in their own right, but none of them has the Toboggan's unique combo of monster elevation, huge sweeping fairways (long and wide), and serial killer rough... pretty much throughout the entire course. Not necessarily saying it's better than those courses, but it's certanly has a look and feel that is all it's own, and merits comparison to any of those courses.

Just my opinion, but isn't that what this forum's all about?

It's kind of like how strawberries or garlic scapes are only available when they are in season. Yes, Toboggan is like fresh, local produce. You heard it here first. Makes it taste better when it's in season, and you can't just run to the store an pick it up whenever you please.

So now the question is: How do we preserve the toboggan for consumption during those cold winter months?

Just carry an instep or other portable around with you. Throw to where the baskets were, place the portable there, just would miss out on fairway aces, aces, and throwins. Everything will be knocked back for a month or so.

Latest posts