• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid-Range Disc Help

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
I currently only have two mids, a Shark and Stingray. The Stingray I like and use on 250'ish straight or anhyzer-needing tee shots and most of my wooded fairway use. I'm sure max distance that could be stretched a good bit further. I'm not as sure on the Shark or what distance I get with it since I don't think I've ever measured or used it off the tee, it just doesn't seem as workable for me.

I've been reading a lot about Buzz's, Makos, and Coyotes but I can't get a good understanding of how they all compare to each other and to Sharks and Stingrays. So I'm hoping that somebody with experience on multiples of these will share their thoughts?

I'm not looking for something to throw and get the Max distance out of. I'm hoping there is one mid that is super workable and will do whatever lines I try to put on it. Is that too much to ask of one disc?

Stingrays are considered one of the most understable discs, problem is they are wildly inconsistant between runs and molds so there is a chance that yours is not but the next one you get might be.

Shark is an interesting disc...I did not like them as I could turn them over too easily but we just recently found a champ and it is on of the straightest discs I have ever seen if you have the right snap.

A Buzzz, mako or coyote is a very workable disc and any one of them might do the trick for you. Latitude Core and Fuse are very workable as well. For a slower disc, a spider can do just about anything as well.

I'm not looking for something to throw and get the Max distance out of. I'm hoping there is one mid that is super workable and will do whatever lines I try to put on it. Is that too much to ask of one disc?
One disc, perhaps. One mold, definitely not.

The only reason I say that you might not be able to get all that out of one disc is because of fade. There are lines you can get out of a disc that has a predictable, but not overbearing fade that you can't get out of a disc with little fade and vice versa.

Your two options are to find a disc that fades like that when new and carry multiple discs in different stages of wear (DX/KC Roc, E/S Warrior, etc.) or carry two molds (Wasp/Buzzz, Sentinal/MS, Warriror/Element, etc.)

A comet is a very workable disc...but you have to be careful to not put to much snap on it or else it will turn and burn everytime...so best solution would be to use a finesse throw..which is what your looking for? its also a wider disc so its a little bit bigger...

I use an ESP Buzzz(Furthest driver but also a little wider on flight), a Cryztal Buzzz(lose about 50 feet on max d but i can get it str8 and doesn't fly around to much), a beat Pro-D Buzzz(seems to go right but only very slowly) and a Meteor(goes right pretty hard and fast) for almost all my mid needs. I also throw RHBH

The Mako is probably a good candidate for the "one mid-range" philosophy.
It just depends on how much you want out of the disc.
Personally, I carry a slightly understable (Star Stingray), overstable (Star Roc), slightly overstable (QMS) and understable (ESP Comet) mid-ranges in my bag. But then again, my home course is heavily wooded and favors well-placed long approaches.

The Mako is probably a good candidate for the "one mid-range" philosophy.
It just depends on how much you want out of the disc.
Personally, I carry a slightly understable (Star Stingray), overstable (Star Roc), slightly overstable (QMS) and understable (ESP Comet) mid-ranges in my bag. But then again, my home course is heavily wooded and favors well-placed long approaches.

I am with you, I carry a Fuse, an S Blaze, a Star Gator, a Star Stingray and of course my putters for those very same reasons.

I dont know; I carry a Core for all my mid shots whether hyzer, straight or turnover; but I use Opto for shots I want more reliably straight and a subtle fade and a GL for turnovers where I dont want much fade; but really could manage with just the opto. If I want a harder fade or hyzer, I reach for something faster.

One disc, perhaps. One mold, definitely not.

The only reason I say that you might not be able to get all that out of one disc is because of fade. There are lines you can get out of a disc that has a predictable, but not overbearing fade that you can't get out of a disc with little fade and vice versa.

Your two options are to find a disc that fades like that when new and carry multiple discs in different stages of wear (DX/KC Roc, E/S Warrior, etc.) or carry two molds (Wasp/Buzzz, Sentinal/MS, Warriror/Element, etc.)

Riding Garu's coattails as usual. :hfive:

What I bolded is particularly important and it really depends on which style you prefer (the 2 options he alluded to). That being said, the most neutral of stability molds are your best bet if you're going the one disc route. So you're in Comet, Fuse, Coyote, QMS, Mako, territory. But since you already like the Stingray, it's probably better if you compliment it with a Buzzz, Roc, Core, Nebula, etc.

Ah the shark. It is my go to mid range disc. I recommend it because I love it, and it holds two of my aces. I throw a DX shark that I have beaten in a considerable amount. It's good for about a 200 foot shot and anything under that. I can make it do whatever I want, a cutting anheiser, a heiser flip for more distance, a dead straight shot (which is hard to do with anything else), and a nice soft hesier approach.

It's a versatile disc for me because I have thrown it so many times that I know what it can do and how to make it do it. And I guess that is the important part. I like the DX plastic because it broke in quickly and very nicely. I'm sure that you can achieve this with a lot of different discs that have been recommended in this thread, but the important part is finding one that suits you. I'd recommend a shark, roc, buzzz, and comet for your bag. The important part is learning the discs because then you will find one midrange that will do it all.

I recently started flipping my shark a little too much for my liking so I have another two in the mail. I didn't like the shark when I first got it, but it can do a lot of great things once you learn how to throw it. Sorry for the long winded response, but I signed up to post here just because I love the shark so much.

I picked up a few discs at a garage sale and got a DX Cro in the bunch. This has quickly become my main short to mid disc. It is overstable yet very controlable and predictable, if you hold back a bit, it will hyzer prettty good. You get some decent snap on it, it flies stright as can be, I have also had some great anny shots with ease too.
I also picked up a DM S gremlin the pther day. This seems a bit more stable than the Cro and didn't seem to fly as easily, I've only used a bit though so we'll see how it breaks in.
Funny how discs that I like tend to 'find me' and one that I pick out i end up hating.

on a side note, this DX is the toughest I have ever used. Not sure if it's different than the other cro's but I have no issues with it taking hits.

I havent really tried many mid range discs outside of Innova and Discraft. When it comes to Discraft I enjoy throwing a Buzzz and a Comet both in Elite Z. The Buzzz is a mostly stable disc while the Comet is understable. The Comet just holds lines everytime. With Innova I like the DX Roc and a Star Kite. The Roc seems to have a very predictable straight then slightly hyzer line for me. With the Kite I can make it do pretty much anything depending on my wrist angle and snap. Also the Kite is my go to midrange thumber when I get in trouble.

The Champion plastic Spider is great for holding whatever line you put it on. I've found it to be a super versatile disc and I use it almost as much as my Roc for shots over about 180'. I wouldn't recommend using it off the tee because it can get inconsistent at higher speeds. From what I hear about the Mako, it can do that too, but I haven't personally thrown one to confirm. My bet is on the Spider, it's an often over-looked disc, but it is amazingly workable.

Latest posts