• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid-range Tailwind discs?

As a rule of thumb, tailwinds make discs fly more overstable. Throwing stable and understable discs will provide the most distance. Any disc can be thrown in a tailwind though.

Dear Xseption,

With all due respect, are you even making a attempt to use the search function or have you tried scanning through some of the threads in the Newbie forum or Discs forum to find threads on the topics you've been starting new threads for?

Starting new threads for new topics is great, but doing so for such fundamental things that have been discussed ad nauseum is frowned upon, because the resulting number of threads makes using the search function more difficult, because it decentralizes discussions on a given topic, making it hard to find what you want to.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but kindly try to search rather than simply starting a new thread for every run of the mill question, or people will just a think you're a
patent-troll*304.jpg

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but kindly try to search rather than simply starting a new thread for every run of the mill question.

BogeyNoMore,

Is there a thread on how to use the search function efficiently? I use the search function and come up with threads that have little bearing on the the things I am looking for.

For example, if I search for keywords "tailwind" and "mid-range" then I don't find what I am looking for. The search delivered drivers (not mid-range) for tailwinds and people's profiles about what to throw given a multitude of discs in their possession.

Can you share the proper search terms that would aid me in finding the answer to "Is there a good mid-range disc for tailwinds?"

Thanks!

~ edd

In my opinion google search works the best! :)
^ agreed.

Works the best in finding info on the forum or on the web?

~ edd
on this forum.

Use the pulldown on the search function and find Search Forums using Google.

Try various combos of, mids for tailwinds, tailwind mids, etc. and check out the first few pages of results.

Here's some of what those searches yielded:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97717&page=3http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97717&page=3
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91195
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87494

I will admit, learning to search DGCR's forums is an acquired skill, and it can be tough to find what you're looking for - like anything else, I think one needs to play with it a bit to get the hang of things.

Also try looking in the appropriate sub-forums for threads on the topic as well.

Last edited:
At first glance using the forum search, most of the tail/headwind threads are about drivers, but the concepts (which I outlined in both of these threads) apply to all disc classifications. It sounds (and looks, judging from your time played) like you're fairly new to the game. The best advice I can think to give you is to pick up some slower, neutral putters, mids, and fairway drivers and stay out of the Equipment forum here. It is an absolute blast to buy and try all the plastic you can get your hands on so have fun with it, but I want to stress that buying plastic won't magically cure all the growing pains you'll face while developing your throwing style.

The Technique subforum, and this stickied thread specifically, will make your discing times much more enjoyable as they'll provide you with the framework to develop both accuracy and distance. I'm pushing you in this direction because of all the bad habits I developed throwing FH before really focusing hindered my throwing potential and took me a lot longer to correct than it's taken me to learn a clean BH (which is generally regarded as being harder than FH to learn).

Use the pulldown on the search function and find Search Forums using Google.

Try various combos of, mids for tailwinds, tailwind mids, etc. and check out the first few pages of results.

Using Google, got it! Use "mids" instead of mid-range, got it! Search result links, much appreciated.

~edd

Sorry if I came off like a d!ck... to teebird's point, most wind oriented threads seem to refer to drivers, but the same concepts about how various winds affect disc stability and what stability to use in given situation should be similar. Tailwinds have the effect of making all discs behave more overstable than they "normally" do. Headwinds have the effect of making discs behave more understable than they "normally" do.

Last edited:
At first glance using the forum search, most of the tail/headwind threads are about drivers, but the concepts (which I outlined in both of these threads) apply to all disc classifications. It sounds (and looks, judging from your time played) like you're fairly new to the game. The best advice I can think to give you is to pick up some slower, neutral putters, mids, and fairway drivers and stay out of the Equipment forum here. It is an absolute blast to buy and try all the plastic you can get your hands on so have fun with it, but I want to stress that buying plastic won't magically cure all the growing pains you'll face while developing your throwing style.

The Technique subforum, and this stickied thread specifically, will make your discing times much more enjoyable as they'll provide you with the framework to develop both accuracy and distance. I'm pushing you in this direction because of all the bad habits I developed throwing FH before really focusing hindered my throwing potential and took me a lot longer to correct than it's taken me to learn a clean BH (which is generally regarded as being harder than FH to learn).

Thanks for the info and the advice. As I read through the threads, I am picking up all kinds of information. The first problem as a beginner is where to start and how to incorporate all the information I have gleaned. I used to play ultimate frisbee which helps and hinders at the same time. I have discs of various sizes and function. I can throw 300', but not accurately (well, a little more than sometimes I get lucky). I am fairly accurate short range (outside the circle) and I am practicing putting all the time. I have not settled on a set of "go to" discs, but I like an old beat up star Stingray (180 g), new Traks (various weights), and some Wizards (175 g). I am reviewing video after video of instruction and then trying to emulate what I see.

If there was only a general list of steps to check off as I progress, I would be much happier.

~ edd

PS I just clicked the links and what did I get? The checkoff list ...

Last edited:

Latest posts