• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Discs

Okdiscgolfer

Bogey Member
How many true midrange discs do you carry or do you like to upshot with putters and power down on drivers and fairway drivers. The only true mid I carry is a buzzz, should I think about carrying others. Am I missing out by not having other slow speed discs in my bag.

Last edited:
How many true midrange discs do you carry or do you like to upshot with putters and power down on drivers and fairway drivers. The only true mid I carry is a buzzz, should I think about carrying others.

It depends on the course. In the woods of New England, I tend to carry a lot of mids. I typically carry 4 (Meteor, Buzzz x2, Verdict), but may add a couple others on some courses.

When I play more open courses, I use my mids much less.

Do you find times that your putters are too short or drivers too long?

I'm a midrange fiend and I wouldn't play with less than 3. I currently carry 5 mids. All of which get ample air time.

-180g Gateway Warrior: faster than most mids. Beefy wind fighter, hyzers & chip shots.
-180g fresh KC Roc: overstable roc. Doesn't fight wind as well as the warrior but great for OS roc shots
-180g 7/10 KC Roc: straight with some fade roc
-168g 5/10 KC Roc: dead straight with no fade. Low power up shots, high glide lines
-180g Gateway Mystic: hyzer flip to turn overs, rollers, low power anny. No power straight. Tailwinds.

This may seem like overkill but I NEVER come across a mid shot I can't handle.

I carry one mid...and hardly use it. I use mostly fairways, a few utility discs (beat fairways and one OS DD) and several putters for approach shots and one for the chains.

I just have never meshed with the Midrange catagory of disc.

It really depends on the courses that you play. When I lived in San Francisco I carried 4-5 mids for Golden Gate Park. My current home course doesn't have many holes under 350, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=174&mode=hi, and I rarely throw mids. I carry a Champ Roc3 and a dx Roc and that covers everything that I need for that course.

Other than my putter, I throw my mids more than anything else.

People tend to think of mids as 'upshot' discs or approach discs - but as you start to throw further and with more accuracy you usually do those shots with putters or P&A discs. I like mids primarily off the tee (or for long, 200ft+ approaches and 2nd shots); they are accurate, tend not to skip or fade wildly, excel at straight and turnover shots, and still get 75% of the distance of most drives. Mids are also good for your form in terms of field practice - especially straight-to-understable ones - very responsive to both bad and good form. I throw the Verdict, Truth, and Meteor and they are all three very predictable/accurate/easy-to-throw for the lines I want out of them. I'd want more stability if I was carrying a Buzzz-only setup - the understable lines you could probably hit with the Buzzz or your putter/approach disc if you needed.

How many true midrange discs do you carry or do you like to upshot with putters and power down on drivers and fairway drivers. The only true mid I carry is a buzzz, should I think about carrying others. Am I missing out by not having other slow speed discs in my bag.

I never used mids until I decided to. Before that, my drivers usually put me into putter approach range albeit I was only driving in the 250-300' range.

After forcing myself to drive with mids, my form improved and when I went back to drivers, I extended my average range to just under 400'. In the process, my mids stretched out to where they should have been. Now, I carry 5-6 mids... all different molds and drive with them about half the time.

I currently carry 3 mids: Drone, Roc3, and Tursas. I used to carry one or two more but decided to consolidate my setup. I love midranges and think they are the funnest part of the game. The short game is where the magic happens :thmbup:

I also consider my Zone to be somewhat of a midrange.

It's all a distance thing for me. I use my kids on shots between 250 & 320. I carry 3 at all times: Z Hornet, Z Wasp & Z Buzzz....the trifecta of insect mids. If I want consistant fade or a nice flex shot...Hornet if I want straight with fade at the end...Wasp and a disc the will hold any line....Buzzz.

I bag 6, admittedly a lot of overlap, but I have specific uses for all of them.

Understable:
150 Z Storm: uphill lies, turnover shots from a stand still and other situtations where I need distance/power with no ability to generate it due to crappy lies in cramped space.
Tursas: most US work... I could probably swap a Stratus in here as well

Stable:
Ibex: my straightest shooter, great line shaper - not much fade when thrown flat, fades nicely on a hyzer, doesn't fight back much when annied and it stays put well.
Warship: a bit more stability than the Ibex with more glide/distance, predictable but gentle fade.

Overstable:
Nebula: Most OS duties... moderate head winds or when I need a shot with significant fade.
Drone: Major head wind and/or when failing to hook up is not an option.

I could get by OK with one from each of pair, and there are definitely rounds where some never come out of my bag, but there are also rounds where I make a stroke saving shot with one that I probably wouldn't have pulled off with the other.

Last edited:
I carry 4.5 kids, a Sentinel for overstable, a champ cobra for most shots, a dx cobra for under stable, a condor for approaches, and the half mid is a wedge, that I use for a variety of shots.

- Hornet Straight with a hard fade,will handle the wind
-Buzz(2x) Fresher for staright shots with a little fade, Beat for any line
-Tursas Turnovers,Hyzerflips, FH & Backhand rollers

If the wind is crazy and i think the Hornet can't handle it ill power down a Firebird

Like stated before Mids are a great part of the game. I have been focusing on throwing my mids off the tee more often and i am getting good results.

Usually carry my main three mids, but will go with four sometimes.

Main Mids
- Ti Wasp
- Cryztal Z Buzzz
- Pro D Buzzz

Other mids
- X Comet
- DX Stingray

Opto Core
X Comet
Ti Buzzz
Z Buzzz SS
Z Wasp
Z Nebula
X Putt'r
Soft Magnet
I use mids on a lot of shots.

Up until a week ago, I only carried the Coyote, but since I tried the Atlas, I've added that as well and it's added a little distance to my midrange game.

People tend to think of mids as 'upshot' discs or approach discs - but as you start to throw further and with more accuracy you usually do those shots with putters or P&A discs. I like mids primarily off the tee (or for long, 200ft+ approaches and 2nd shots); they are accurate, tend not to skip or fade wildly, excel at straight and turnover shots, and still get 75% of the distance of most drives. Mids are also good for your form in terms of field practice - especially straight-to-understable ones - very responsive to both bad and good form. I throw the Verdict, Truth, and Meteor and they are all three very predictable/accurate/easy-to-throw for the lines I want out of them. I'd want more stability if I was carrying a Buzzz-only setup - the understable lines you could probably hit with the Buzzz or your putter/approach disc if you needed.

Agree with this 100% I see a lot of guys use drivers all the time outside 200 or so. Some of 'em still beat me, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be even better with a bit more midrange in their game.

I carry 6. To me it feels like I carry 4 and then my Comets.

Z Wasp
10yr Buzzz
Big Z Buzzz
Glow Meteor
ESP Comet
X Comet

I use Comets for approach shots, especially the X. When I need to thread a tight line, I can just throw it like a Frisbee. Well, how I imagine one would throw a Frisbee anyway. It's be a while. I will use the others on short FH approaches.

The others are for 230 out to 300, drives and fairway shots. I tee with a Buzzz or Meteor a lot on 350+ holes, especially if placement is key. I can throw a PD or TB farther, but I can't make them fly straight and land flat like I can with a buzzz. I'd rather have a line on my next shot than more distance.

I carry 6 mids, from OS to US:
FLX Drone, Lucid Truth, Z Buzzz, FLX Buzzz, *Mako, GL Fuse

These take care of everything 300 and in, except when it's really far uphill or I need a huge hook and skip to get over.

Secret weapon is the *Mako. Point and shoot, doesn't fade at the end. Best of all, it has a round underside (opposite of a roc) so it will slide on the ground a bit rather than dig in. Very useful sometimes if you just need to slide up to the basket very low from a tough lie, I just slide it up there like shuffleboard. Does what a driving putter would do, but with less effort and more glide.

6 mids come from a par 3 course being my home course, however I'm grateful for learning finesse with a range of mids rather than only having speed 10+ drivers that are much less accurate

3. Rarely used for upshot ever unless it is a long standstill throw.

Fresh kc roc, overstable.

Freshish dx roc, stable workhorse.

Smashed dx roc, understable workhorse.

Latest posts