• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Discs

When driving with putters and midranges do you still use the power grip for rhbh or do you have your index finger with modified grip?

I am a beginner and found that when I try to throw a bomb with a midrange or driver, they both go about the same distance (within 30 ft) Does anyone choose not to use midrange discs? I find that after I drive I can eventually get myself close enough to use the putt and approach disc which gives the low speed stability. If I am too far for the putter I just use the driver.

I'm by no means an expert, but here are my two cents.

What you describe here is, I think, what everyone goes through as a beginner. Don't, IMO, stop throwing your midrange discs. I believe they are a very important component in this game. So, if anything, throw them as much as possible. When I play, I rarely use drivers. This is completely my opinion, but if you throw midrange discs for a month, trying to hit those really long holes, so throwing at full power, your transition to drivers will result in much more driver distance. Your next step up after a midrange is your fairway driver, and, like most, I advocate the teebird as a excellent starter fairway driver. Very consistent. Not too overstable not too understable. Very forgiving. Get an orange one.:thmbup:

These are just my two cents, take or leave it, and good luck in your disc golf progression.

If a hole is in the 200ft range, try throwing your putter. Also, the reason you can throw a midrange is so you don't have to try to back off the power on a driver. Drivers don't fly as well with less power. Anything 230ft ft and under, I throw a putter.

I forgot to mention this point, midnightbiker, but you're right. The idea of throwing full power every time is a very over looked factor in most begginers' disc golf game. This post should be on your mind every time you step up to the tee pad IMO.

When driving with putters and midranges do you still use the power grip for rhbh or do you have your index finger with modified grip?

If you try to drive with your index finger on the outside, you are going to loose at least 50ft to 75ft in distance. When I am driving a putter or a midrange, I always use a power grip. I only finess grip when approaching or putting.

Not always true. I personally was throwing leopards and td's 330-350 with power grip, and terrible accuracy. Switched to modified fan grip, gained a lot more control without losing much distance, if any at all

If you try to drive with your index finger on the outside, you are going to loose at least 50ft to 75ft in distance. When I am driving a putter or a midrange, I always use a power grip. I only finess grip when approaching or putting.

This is very important, if nothing else take this advice. When I first started playing I really had no idea how to hold the disc. I used what is basically a putting grip to drive with. Needless to say it wasn't very effective. Grip and form are the biggest ways to improve your game.

Personally I love midrange discs, they are very accurate and can travel a fair distance. I will use them to tee off on most wooded holes and anything less than 300 feet.

Well what am I doing wrong...I throw my anode about 200', my axis about 250', and my drivers squeak in right around 300'. I can throw my putter 200'..shouldn't I be able to get my drivers out farther than that then?

Personally, I do use the powergrip with midranges and putters for drives. Im going to drop this bomb again for the thousandth time, but the anode handles a powergrip drive just fine. I know some use the modified fan grip for accuracy, and when absolutely necessary, probably tunnel shots, i guess, I use the fan grip. I probably use the fan grip 1 in every 30 throws. However, if anyone says, the fan grip's no more accurate than a powergrip. Id disagree.

For real finese shots my index finger is anywhere from the outside rim of the disc to the very bottom of the plate. It's all instinctual when throwing finese shots.

Well what am I doing wrong...I throw my anode about 200', my axis about 250', and my drivers squeak in right around 300'. I can throw my putter 200'..shouldn't I be able to get my drivers out farther than that then?

You need more protein in your diet.:D

I use a power grip, but use whatever feels comfortable to you. Seems like a lot of people like Climo's fork grip these days too. Whatever floats your boat.

When throwing a disc with a thin rim such as a putter or mid my grip is very close to this.
climopowergrip.JPG

When the rim gets wider it becomes this.
powergrip_flat.JPG

i personally like drivers alot more than mids, but mid range discs are great for specialty shots like rollers and scoobies, but majority of my bag is drivers and fairways.

How similar are the comet and fuse? I'm a huge fan of both DC and Lat, but I like lat's plastic more and want an excuse to try out their test mat plastic :p