• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange Problem/Question?

Husky22

So I'm not really sure if this is a problem, but I'm kind of wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm not a big arm by anymeans, probably can get out to 350-375 if I hit anything perfectly, more realisticly around 300ft. I found a drone in the river one day and at first thought it was junk but started to throw it and realized that i can throw it dead straight out to about 225-250. I can make it go right, make it go left, it does anything I want, and has taken shots of my game, but thats not really my question. I'm wondering why every other midrange i get I cant throw to save my life. I've tried roc's, buzz's, cro's some ching discs, and nothing feels natural in my hands. I like the drone because it feels so natural when i throw it. Everything else just seems to feel bulky, and i either can't control it or can't throw it. Suggestions?

I throw KC Rocs and have ever since my first mid was a DX Shark.

Many that I know can't stand the bead on the bottom of the rim or the way the rim is shaped period!!! I however think it feels great.

Other than flight characteristics, it's my opinion that most pick a certain mid because of the way it feels in the hands. I'd say mids, out of all discs -- drivers, fways, mids, and putters -- create the most "disc-to-hand uncomfortableness".

Pretty sure it's just the mold you like. It just feels good, well, you know what I'm talking about.

Sounds like a beat-up drone if you can shape it like you're saying. Sounds bad ass. Think you just found a nice addition to your bag.:thmbup:

Last edited:
give back your found disc sir, find the owner, then you'll know what's up

???? What are you talking about?

Just sounds like you found the right disc for your game. For me, alot of it is mental. I'll find or trade a disc and the first time I use it, I think think it is great. Next time out, can't throw it at all. Do it all the time.

Last edited:
I would say buy another Drone and start working it in. That way if you lose your current one you have another close to it.

The drone is a very overstable mid which is shadowing your poor form/oat. Learn to throw a Buzz dead straight 300ft with no flutter or turning over and you will see your entire game improve.

I would say OAT as well. You might hit a wall in terms of distance if you can't throw any other mids. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep throwing and learning that drone though. I trust mine in the wind and for short spike hyzers more than any other disc.

You never said if you are throwing these shots forehand or backhand. A lot of mids (including Rocs and Buzzz) are not great forehand discs.

Having said that, pretty much anyone I meet who says "the only mid I can throw is a (Demon, Drone, Gator)" has a multitude of issues with form, footwork, timing, grip...it's usually the combo platter of things to work on. So really that's a pretty big red flag that you have some issues to correct.

Latest posts