• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

might be buying all new discs

Behindatree

So I am still a newbie to disc golf and after playing a chance round with a member of the local disc golf club I have discovered that I throw MUCH MUCH better forehand or sidearm than the backhand style I've been using. Are there certain disc that favor this kind of thrower? My bag is currently made up of a champion valkerie(175) a dx roc(180) which both are doing me great forehand and also a dx archangel dx teebird and dx classic roc. I know most sites recommend lighter weight for begginer but I have found much more success with the heavier discs. I guess the question is. Is there certain disc that are favored by forehand throwers?

You can throw anything forehand, and might benefit from learning to throw more touchy discs. I throw a lot of forehands, driving with a champ Monster (really overstable driver). I wouldn't recommend something so overstable, as it teaches you to roll your wrist over to keep the disc straight. If you can learn to sidearm a putter smoothly you should be on the right track.

Here's a pretty good video with some good tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvmePaqMFcQ

I wish he would have shown some actual throws though.

There's a lot of information out there that would lead one to beleive that only overstable plastic works well for sidearm. This is simply not true. What you currently have should be fine--if not actually preferred-- to develop your SA skills. I'd say that if you are having success with these, you are ahead of the curve. They will reward you when you use good form and punish you if you don't. Moderate to lesser stable discs help to eliminate form flaws like wrist roll or "arm throws".You should be able to get these discs to fly pretty much straight and good ways before they start to turn, especially the Valk. In time you will be able to benefit from using more overstable discs. One other peice of advice. Don't forsake your backhand. You will be a much better all around player if you have a solid BH. Search this site and Discgolfreview.com for a mother lode of info on improving technique.

I'd say stick with practicing backhand, even if you switch to a forehand dominant style. Usually more overstable discs are favored by FH throwers. I'd try maybe a Banshee.

firebird is loved by many forehand throwers i know

I learned how to forehand with a Viking/Valkyrie combo, and that was pretty fun. You have to learn how to hyzer flip it, and you can get good distance out of that shot. I'd say try throwing your Valk with a hyzer angle and see how you like that.

Start with something stable like a Teebird and work your way up the stability charts to a Banshee and then a Firebird. For longer discs, I would suggest sticking with the Valk, moving up to a Wraith, and then later trying something more stable like a Destroyer.

You can flick anything. It is easier to flip less stable discs and harder to throw over 400', but it can be done. My farthest flick was a 150 Destroyer flex shot that went about 600', pure luck though cause I only throw about 350'. I dont know how this happened though considering the basket I threw at was a mere 250'. I love to flick the Wraith and Destroyer at 171 g.

You can flick anything. It is easier to flip less stable discs and harder to throw over 400', but it can be done. My farthest flick was a 150 Destroyer flex shot that went about 600', pure luck though cause I only throw about 350'. I dont know how this happened though considering the basket I threw at was a mere 250'. I love to flick the Wraith and Destroyer at 171 g.

600 forehand on flat ground would be a world record. unless you were throwing off a mountain i call bs. agree with your disc choices though. :)

for the OP- keep at it with what you have- when you start to have trouble with the valk turning left all the time, then consider some of the more overstable discs for the longer term. it will do you good in the long term to not simply learn the forehand with overstable discs that teach you bad habits off the bat. (like i did)

So I am still a newbie to disc golf and after playing a chance round with a member of the local disc golf club I have discovered that I throw MUCH MUCH better forehand or sidearm than the backhand style I've been using. Are there certain disc that favor this kind of thrower? My bag is currently made up of a champion valkerie(175) a dx roc(180) which both are doing me great forehand and also a dx archangel dx teebird and dx classic roc. I know most sites recommend lighter weight for begginer but I have found much more success with the heavier discs. I guess the question is. Is there certain disc that are favored by forehand throwers?

I'd highly recommend a Star FL, a Star Max, Champ Boss, a Force or an Excaliber and a Champ Roadrunner for FH.

Star Fl: good starting point, clean and easy does it, good a midrange too

Star Max: windy days, and all out rips for FH

Champ Boss: Max D and hyzer flex shots

Champ Excaliber: long straight shots, low ceiling shots

Champ Roadrunner: anhyzer d, anhyzer control, anhyzer roller

I can't believe no one has pointed out that you are a noob throwing 175 and 180 gram discs.
You need to figure out what weights suit you best in certain molds, and probably need to try a few 160's.

Welcome to the site and welcome to dg. :hfive:
There are different approaches to the sport. Fore hand/side arm seem to be easier for new players as it has more of a pushing motion that a lil more natural for many. Throwing backhand, the natural tendency is to, well, throw it- the problem is that with bh, "throwing it" will get you nowhere besides in the bush on the left;) bh involves using your hips to rotate your shoulders and using yor elbow as a catapult. Following through is one of the most important factors in any dg, or any sport throw.
When it comes to form, the faster you decide what you want from the sport the better off you'll be. You can have alot of fun, make alot of friends, and score better then a ton of the other players with bad form. Will you be able to compete with others that shoot the simillar scores- probally not as good form is more consistant. This applies to putting as well.
Certain choices, like lower weights and slower, neutral discs will promote good form. Reason is that for most to throw fast overstable discs, they have to force it- never getting it to it's proper cruise speed and seeing how the disc really flys. So what the problem with that if it's going as far as others? Nothing now- but later it will be harder to improve.
The most important thing is to have fun- seriously, as cheesy as it sounds. I personally find myself having way more fun winning:) I went for two years without ever winning once( I was the only newb in the group )- now I'm outdriving them and putting more consistantly:) now if I could only throw forehand:(

I can't believe no one has pointed out that you are a noob throwing 175 and 180 gram discs.
You need to figure out what weights suit you best in certain molds, and probably need to try a few 160's.

I have tried using a wide range of weights in different discs and even in the same disc. For instance I own a 160 and 170 vakyrie and despite what all the help sites say I find far more accuracy and even distance with the heavier discs across the board. I don't know why, I seriously doubt I'm any kind of natural. One golfer had suggested it may be about upper body strength as I am normally lifting weights when I'm not golfing or working.

I use:
167 Firebird - some headwind/crosswind
175 Firebird - pretty good headwinds/crosswinds
175 Xcal - Low ceiling
175 Pro Katana - Tailwind
167 Pro katana - no wind/s turns
175 Champ Boss - skip shots
175 Champ Destroyer - big meat hook shots.

I throw mostly rhbh but last year found need to develop fh shot. I most throw a z flick and it really fits my throwing style. I can get some decent distance but the accuracy isn't so great which is my fault not the disc. Agree with destroyer and force as good fh discs too.

i started out as FH player and was getting close to 400', but have since switched to BH because i have more control and accuracy,and even though otheres may disagree i believe you can generate more power from the BH side although it takes less time to learn a FH a proper BH will probably allow you to play with less arm injuries in the long run.

buy a champ 167 teebird try and learn FH with it if you'd like or learn how to throw BH