• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two molds only for one year. For real.

My suggestion, use only a DX Archangel and a Tilt for a week...it will feel like a year!:gross:

Haha for real, that would be awful. I had a friend who wanted to play rounds with me a while back. No matter how hard I tried to reason with him the only disc he bought and played with was a Wraith. It went as well as you'd expect.

I could see that working, a beat and fresh putter. Vary the weights and plastics on a teebird. Get a 150 as well and I think you'd be pretty covered.

I tried it this year for the tourney, relay/tesla envy... I added a few for the second day like the Spin and knocked a few strokes off. There's just a few specialty discs I couldn't live without. I routinely play in my yard with 3 discs and thought I could make it work.

I encourage your experiment and am curious how longou can stick with it

I could see that working, a beat and fresh putter. Vary the weights and plastics on a teebird. Get a 150 as well and I think you'd be pretty covered.

I tried it this year for the tourney, relay/tesla envy... I added a few for the second day like the Spin and knocked a few strokes off. There's just a few specialty discs I couldn't live without. I routinely play in my yard with 3 discs and thought I could make it work.

I encourage your experiment and am curious how longou can stick with it

Until you lose a couple beat in discs.

This is a fun idea.

I love to play with my permutations of my bag.

If I were to attempt two molds I'd probably run Envy - Teebird.

Envy is a incredible driver/approach mold and I think a beat soft N would be a decent circle putter.

Teebird is the standard and capable of carving fairways and crushing long distance.

Not sure I'd "learn" anything from this experiment with form nor function. But it'd be fun nonetheless.

I'm guessing I could easily play with just a Buzzz and a Teebird...and probably score somewhat similarly to throwing with my full bag, which is both disheartening and fun.

I've played enough one, two and three disc rounds to know that my score isn't affected much, if at all. While some shots are impossible to execute I tend to cut down on unforced errors, likely because I get so in tune with the few discs I have with me.

This is a fun idea.

I love to play with my permutations of my bag.

If I were to attempt two molds I'd probably run Envy - Teebird.

Envy is a incredible driver/approach mold and I think a beat soft N would be a decent circle putter.

Teebird is the standard and capable of carving fairways and crushing long distance.

Not sure I'd "learn" anything from this experiment with form nor function. But it'd be fun nonetheless.

I run three envy, 174 cosmic e soft (killer for straight approaches and 200' ace runs), 167 plasma (straight/ stable approach, some putts), 174 neutron or eclipse (short putts, stable approach) sometimes a 4th (165g e soft beat) but I'm better off dropping it for a spin. It takes too much juice to make it turn. Last tourney I shaved off 4 strokes with the spin on the second day.

Beat neutron is pretty nice, working in an electron soft is faster, but it is difficult to replace a well beat disc. My best plasma envy's took about 4-5 yrs to get to where they straightened out.

Currently running Tesla/Relay as the drivers at least two of each in different weights. Then there was bag creep with a fireball and fizz octane, then a mid or two came back... Haha. I try minimalism and I fail eventually.

Last edited:
I carry the full bag and cart, but more and more I just go to the course with a Star Tbird and a Killa Cam Tour Series Voodoo. The Tbird allows me a serviceable forehand into the mix. When I started this disc golf thing, I never realised how important a Tbird would be. Lately I've been adding my 2x Wysocki Retro Compass to it, simply because I like throwing it and I'm working on using mids more frequently.

. While some shots are impossible to execute I tend to cut down on unforced errors, likely because I get so in tune with the few discs I have with me.

This is what I’m takin about! Learning a few discs really really well. And not bringing discs that are very tempting to throw, but could get me in a lot of trouble!

This is what I’m takin about! Learning a few discs really really well. And not bringing discs that are very tempting to throw, but could get me in a lot of trouble!

I think this has been brought up a lot in the minimalist discussions, but most of us don't play every day like the pros and don't have time to learn 20+ discs really well. Simplifying and cutting down on discs will probably be beneficial to a lot of players IMHO. Only two molds might be a bit too extreme for optimal performance, but then again it's not all about performance for most rec players either. Most players thinks it's fun to carry 20+ discs and some think it's most fun to carry just a few. Personally I tend to go back and forth.

Can I apply for the 2 Molds 2 Furious club? I brought a Wizard, Roc and Eagle with me on vacation and chucked my Roc into the drink :(

I found myself admiring your approach to disc golf and your other hobbies, up until this line:

Now I think you're just flat out crazy.

Haha you're probably right! Boise is a great place for it tho, we don't have the chunky rocky gnar trails like those in Sedona or Pisgah. And after a decade of singlespeeding, it's become natural. Not harder, just different!

What do you guys like about the Envy vs a "traditional" deep beaded putter? I was feeling some in a store today, they seemed pretty alright. I was set to buy one for fun but they didn't have the color/weight combo I wanted.

Haha, you've barely started and you are succumbing to the plastic sickness.

Personally I loved the hand feel from the first one I had, beat it straight, put in a lot of time with it. I had 6 or 7 putters that had been in and out of rotation, ran a Rhyno/magic combo for a couple years previous... short end of the story is I played all my putters off against each other for a month and settled in for a year with the envy. (4 or 6 yrs ago)

It takes power well, kinda like a slower speed buzzz, or a longer version of my original irreplaceable champ Ontario Rhyno. It approaches excellent, holds up well in the wind. I tend to putt straight to late hyzer arc across the basket for easier comebacks. Straight to fade is its jam, it hid a few little form flaws. I play a lot of 3 disc and I can BH or FH it. I like shallow discs, and again, it just felt comfy in the hand.

Haha you're probably right! Boise is a great place for it tho, we don't have the chunky rocky gnar trails like those in Sedona or Pisgah. And after a decade of singlespeeding, it's become natural. Not harder, just different!

Northern Utah here, so we have a pretty good mix of dirt and chunk. During the spring transitional period where I'm unsure if running skinny MTB tires will damage the trails, I still ride my fat bike since it doesn't leave ruts. But inevitably there isn't enough snow at that time to cover the boulders and gnar, so I get ping ponged around on my bike during those sections of trail. Makes me thankful when the dirt sections dry out and I can transition back to my full suspension bike. I'm sure I could live with a hardtail if I needed to, but not a fully rigid during the summer months. That, or I would completely switch which trails I ride.

As for the single speed aspect...yikes. You're more adventurous than me! Give me a giant granny gear for those long sustained climbs, and give me some extra torque for technical climbing. I would hate having just a single gear for all climbing. That'd be like having to decide on one tool for all repairs. Sure, you can hit a nail with the handle of a screwdriver, but why would you do that when you can use a hammer instead?

What do you guys like about the Envy vs a "traditional" deep beaded putter? I was feeling some in a store today, they seemed pretty alright. I was set to buy one for fun but they didn't have the color/weight combo I wanted.

A premium plastic Envy is basically the putter version of a Teebird. It can hold a panning fade if thrown with hyzer, or hold a straight line with reliable late fade if thrown flat, or if thrown anny will pan controllably to the right with just enough late stability to land flat rather than cut roll. The grip feels perfect as a thrower too, although grip feel is subjective so I'm sure you'll find others that disagree on that.

Then when you consider how easy it is to beat a baseline plastic Envy into a flip-to-flat disc, you basically can have a Teebird/FD pairing in putter form with a single mold. It's not my favorite disc to putt with (I prefer a big bead for putting), but as a one-disc-to-rule-them-all putter the Envy is hands down my top choice.

Northern Utah here, so we have a pretty good mix of dirt and chunk. During the spring transitional period where I'm unsure if running skinny MTB tires will damage the trails, I still ride my fat bike since it doesn't leave ruts. But inevitably there isn't enough snow at that time to cover the boulders and gnar, so I get ping ponged around on my bike during those sections of trail. Makes me thankful when the dirt sections dry out and I can transition back to my full suspension bike. I'm sure I could live with a hardtail if I needed to, but not a fully rigid during the summer months. That, or I would completely switch which trails I ride.

As for the single speed aspect...yikes. You're more adventurous than me! Give me a giant granny gear for those long sustained climbs, and give me some extra torque for technical climbing. I would hate having just a single gear for all climbing. That'd be like having to decide on one tool for all repairs. Sure, you can hit a nail with the handle of a screwdriver, but why would you do that when you can use a hammer instead?

Northern Utah like in the Uintas? What a rad place! I'd end up doing more fly fishing than riding if I lived there!
I hear ya about the ping pong factor with a rigid fork. I mitigate that by running big ole 2.6 Rekon tyres on wide carbon hoops at very low pressures. Takes the edge off just enough to enjoy myself.

As far as singlespeed, it was hard for the first 3 years, but now I've built up to the point where I can do 5+ hour rides with 6000+ vert feet no problem. The key is a very easy gear, 32x21 for me. And the willingness to hikeabike a bit. Not harder, just different. It's like lifting ten 10lb bricks over the course of an hour rather than lifting a hundred 1lb bricks. And it's amazing for bikepacking. One cog, no fuss, less weight: easier to bring more burritos!