• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two molds only for one year. For real.

Hey all! I'm getting back into disc golf after a 10-year break. My kids are getting bigger and have expressed interest in playing this summer break. Yay! I used to lurk around here but can't remember my old username for the life of me, but I forgot what a wonderful resource DCGR is!

Anyways, I have become quite a minimalist over the years and would like to approach disc golf in an ultra-minimalist fashion too. After lots of research and experimenting on the course this spring, I think I am going to go forward with the following project: Two Molds, one year.

Why? I am still at a level where I'm not quite capable of a lot of distance. With some improvements, I imagine I'll be maxing out at around 350 feet drives in a month or two. Teebird sounds like a good disc to work up to. I've thrown one in the past and loved how versatile it was, even powered down for approaches or short drives. I know I could just as well be throwing a buzzz, roc, or similar mid, but I like the added distance potential from the Teebird.

As far as the Wizard goes, I love putting, and the SSS Wizard is my happy place. I have been really working on driving with putters this spring too, and on a good throw can get a Wiz or Judge out 180' from a standstill. with improvement, I'm sure I can stretch a Wiz out into territory I used to throw my Buzzz into! Also, I'm just as comfortable powering up a Wiz or powering down a Teebird as I am throwing my Buzzz. I am pretty much equally proficient at forehands as I am at backhands, so I got that going for me.

Here's what I'm thinking:
-SSS Wizards for putting
-Evo or Diamond Wizards for drives/long approaches.
-DX Teebird to beat-in for understable/tailwind/roller duties.
-Gstar Teebird for stable/straight shots. Main driver.
-Champ Teebird at max weight for hyzers, forehand, headwinds, and general overstable/"utility" uses.
All discs in pink of course! I'd like to jog my local courses with just a SSS Wiz and straightest Teebird in hand.

Any thoughts? I know it's crazy, but I don't care. I find doing stuff like this VERY satisfying! I flyfish with one rod, line, and like 3 fly patterns. I play single-pickup electric guitars with only a few pedals. I ride a rigid single-speed mountain bike. I love the challenge of limitations, and really thrive when operating within strict limits. One of my minimalist mantras is "The More you Know, the Less you Need" and so far it has helped me find a lot of joy and satisfaction (not to mention smugness!) in my hobbies.

I have too many hobbies anyways, so it's best I don't spend any more money on plastic this summer!

this is watered down minimalism

instead of throwing at least 5 different discs why not just do the damm thing with 2 discs total

That would be no fun for me. Too many holes here where I can park them, but not with a T-Bird. I would have to do beat in Wraith and fresh Origin, Core or Evidence.

this is watered down minimalism

instead of throwing at least 5 different discs why not just do the damm thing with 2 discs total

As mentioned in my post, I'll definitely do rounds with just an sss Wiz and a Teebird.

Mostly it's because I still lose discs. My local course is pretty challenging, and I'm apt to lose a disc from time to time. It'd be nice to have a backup in hand so I don't have to hike all the way back to the car to grab a replacement!

That would be no fun for me. Too many holes here where I can park them, but not with a T-Bird. I would have to do beat in Wraith and fresh Origin, Core or Evidence.

I'd love to be able to throw the distance that an Origin, Core, or Evidence are capable of. Mebby by the end of the season. Right now, I'm just beginning to be barely capable of what the Teeb can do!

If I'm playing a round with noobs at a local pitch and putt, it's a DX Roc and DX Aviar PnA.

Longer courses, I might swap the Roc for a Star Teebird.

This could be interesting, a guy a play with a bit has been playing just Wizard/Shield/Wraith and has gotten a ton better!

OP I like the idea and yes Wiz/TB sounds like a great two disc pairing! You mentioned your distance, I'd personally go slightly different but seems suitable and you seem confident. Rock on:thmbup:

This would probably help my game, but one of my favorite feelings in disc golf is choosing the right disc and executing the shot.

Even better? Picking the wrong disc and regretting it:D

I was on hole 18 at the Preserve aka AGA Farms in Perkasie, PA Saturday (sorry the pictures on DGCR aren't updated...I'll do that next time I'm there) and instead of taking a definite 4 (par) or possible 2/3 depending, I went for it. Boom water - didn't finish the hole just accepted my 9/10 ESP loss. Not the best story because it wasn't the wrong disc, just a ****ty RHBH hyzer over the second pond by me. But still...

I forget time embedding skip to 47:18 for the flyover etc.

Last edited:
...Any thoughts? I know it's crazy, but I don't care. I find doing stuff like this VERY satisfying! I flyfish with one rod, line, and like 3 fly patterns. I play single-pickup electric guitars with only a few pedals. I ride a rigid single-speed mountain bike. I love the challenge of limitations, and really thrive when operating within strict limits. One of my minimalist mantras is "The More you Know, the Less you Need" and so far it has helped me find a lot of joy and satisfaction (not to mention smugness!) in my hobbies...

Sounds fun! I carry a bag with about 10 discs - but I end up basically only throwing 2-3 Teebirds at different stages of beat-in, plus an Aviar on more courses than I care to admit.

If you're hell bent on two molds Wiz/TB is a great option but you may want to check out some F2 DX rocs from innova pro shop. They're 6 bucks plus shipping which is almost cheaper than a gallon of gas these days so if you lose one it's not the end of the world

If you're hell bent on two molds Wiz/TB is a great option but you may want to check out some F2 DX rocs from innova pro shop. They're 6 bucks plus shipping which is almost cheaper than a gallon of gas these days so if you lose one it's not the end of the world

I'm definitely keeping an open mind about doing a midrange is instead of the Teebird if I'm still having trouble with my form. As it is, I've been gaining 20-30' each week of field practice,, not to mention improving accuracy too.

I've always been a Buzzz guy, it's my fav disc of all time, but would totally be down for spending some time to get to know the Roc at that price!

I don't think I could/would do two molds.

I have however thrown just 3 molds for a season; Eagles, Rocs and Yeti Aviars.
I got so used to them that all three molds are still in my bag.

What is your goal with this? Can't be learning or improving quickly cause the whole two disc thing is limiting learning speed for sure.

What is your goal with this? Can't be learning or improving quickly cause the whole two disc thing is limiting learning speed for sure.

Goal is just a little minimalist challenge, try to find a way to play everything within a very limiting set of constraints.

It should be said that I still am doing field work a few times a week, and then I work with allll my discs, especially my kids' understable mids as I work on form. I would definitely push back on playing with only two molds limiting my learning. I a learning a ton about how to throw different lines in a variety of situation. Granted, I'll not be doing massive s-curves, but Teebirds in various plastics and states of wear seem to be capable of quite a variety of shots!

The Wiz/Teebird thing is just on course, as I only play casually with my kiddos or with friends.

I think this a good idea. Maybe a little extreme to do it for a whole year but a fun experiment nonetheless.