• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two molds only for one year. For real.

A premium plastic Envy is basically the putter version of a Teebird. It can hold a panning fade if thrown with hyzer, or hold a straight line with reliable late fade if thrown flat, or if thrown anny will pan controllably to the right with just enough late stability to land flat rather than cut roll. The grip feels perfect as a thrower too, although grip feel is subjective so I'm sure you'll find others that disagree on that.

Then when you consider how easy it is to beat a baseline plastic Envy into a flip-to-flat disc, you basically can have a Teebird/FD pairing in putter form with a single mold. It's not my favorite disc to putt with (I prefer a big bead for putting), but as a one-disc-to-rule-them-all putter the Envy is hands down my top choice.

Dang dude, I'm sold on an envy! I'm gonna try one out. What plastic u recommend for a one disc to rule them all (one disc round) putter?

Dang dude, I'm sold on an envy! I'm gonna try one out. What plastic u recommend for a one disc to rule them all (one disc round) putter?

That's a tough call, depends what you want and how hot it is where you play.. Most of the premium plastic envy are fairly similar, straight to fade, so go for feel... you can't go wrong with a glow 2.0 but they only seem to be available in max weights...

If you want to experience a full envy cycle quickly and hope for something straight then start with an electron. It will be cheaper, beat in fast but it will be least stable out of the box.

For reference I generally rock 167's in plasma, pair it with a 174 neutron/eclipse for some beef and more FH, and I use cosmic electron soft 174's which are dead straight, fairly shapeable and the least fade/ stable even against the 167's. (they're like my 167 plasmas with 5yrs of wear within 3 months)

That's a tough call, depends what you want and how hot it is where you play.. Most of the premium plastic envy are fairly similar, straight to fade, so go for feel... you can't go wrong with a glow 2.0 but they only seem to be available in max weights...

If you want to experience a full envy cycle quickly and hope for something straight then start with an electron. It will be cheaper, beat in fast but it will be least stable out of the box.

For reference I generally rock 167's in plasma, pair it with a 174 neutron/eclipse for some beef and more FH, and I use cosmic electron soft 174's which are dead straight, fairly shapeable and the least fade/ stable even against the 167's. (they're like my 167 plasmas with 5yrs of wear within 3 months)

Nice, thanks for your reply. A local Play it Agaim has some misprint Electron envies, I'll pick one up next time I'm in. All the other plastic options and weights you mention, too complicated for this Luddite. I'll stick to my SSS Wiz for everything.

Nice, thanks for your reply. A local Play it Agaim has some misprint Electron envies, I'll pick one up next time I'm in. All the other plastic options and weights you mention, too complicated for this Luddite. I'll stick to my SSS Wiz for everything.

Ha yeah, I put a lot of thought into what I bag.. Temperature, altitude, wind, etc ad nauseam. I get crazy OCD on which envy's I bag for a round. Today was 3 envy a mid and a driver haha. Got 2nd in dubs. Did better after I shelved the mid :D

Short answer is electron lab 2nds are a great choice, nothing to lose and cheap! If you want more stable grab a premium plastic, they're all fairly similar just find a plastic you like the feel of. If you really get crazy just quote and ask... so.. Many... Envy's.... Haha

Last edited:

My advice is usually a bit more simple than that. Proton if you prefer a fairly flat disc, or Plasma if you like a touch of dome.

Northern Utah like in the Uintas? What a rad place! I'd end up doing more fly fishing than riding if I lived there!
I hear ya about the ping pong factor with a rigid fork. I mitigate that by running big ole 2.6 Rekon tyres on wide carbon hoops at very low pressures. Takes the edge off just enough to enjoy myself.

As far as singlespeed, it was hard for the first 3 years, but now I've built up to the point where I can do 5+ hour rides with 6000+ vert feet no problem. The key is a very easy gear, 32x21 for me. And the willingness to hikeabike a bit. Not harder, just different. It's like lifting ten 10lb bricks over the course of an hour rather than lifting a hundred 1lb bricks. And it's amazing for bikepacking. One cog, no fuss, less weight: easier to bring more burritos!

Uintas are super rad, but no I'm in the Ogden area. Basically anything on I-15 that is north of SLC is colloquially referred to as Northern Utah.

6000' of vert is no joke, man. My legs turn to jelly around 3k. Does Boise really have peaks with 6k vert over the valley floor, or are you getting into the Sawtooths for that? I'm a transplant to the Intermountain West from flyover country, so both areas are on my list to hit at some point, but haven't been to either yet.

Uintas are super rad, but no I'm in the Ogden area. Basically anything on I-15 that is north of SLC is colloquially referred to as Northern Utah.

6000' of vert is no joke, man. My legs turn to jelly around 3k. Does Boise really have peaks with 6k vert over the valley floor, or are you getting into the Sawtooths for that? I'm a transplant to the Intermountain West from flyover country, so both areas are on my list to hit at some point, but haven't been to either yet.

Ogden is cool tho too, a few of my in-laws live there and Logan, real pretty area, nice access to the mountains for sure.

No high peaks in Boise, but our best trails head up into the mountains north of town and to our local ski hill. Not a lot of flat riding, so any good loop into the trees we net you a lot of elevation. For instance, I just got back from a ride this weekend, 50 miles loop from my house, rode a bunch of trails up to the ski hill and looping back down, ended up with 7000 ft climbing and descending in total. All smiles!

My advice is usually a bit more simple than that. Proton if you prefer a fairly flat disc, or Plasma if you like a touch of dome.

School a newb: I'm not familiar with disc construction. What's the diff between flat and domey discs? I would guess it has something to do with glide and/stability?

School a newb: I'm not familiar with disc construction. What's the diff between flat and domey discs? I would guess it has something to do with glide and/stability?

That's quite the can of worms. You can get 10 pages of responses if you ask that question as its own thread. Dome effects stability on different molds differently (depending on if the dome pulls up the parting line or pushes it down), and honestly it's not that significant of a variable on the Envy.

For the Envy specifically, I would say its mostly about hand feel preference. I personally like a domey disc for backhands and a flat disc fore forehands, because of how the disc fits into my grip for those two types of throws. I also tend to prefer a dome on understable molds (for perceived added glide) and flatter for overstable molds (less chance for the wind to lift the disc up and carry it off line), but I digress from my main point. It really is just a personal preference on an Envy.

I do this all the time when I travel for work. Invaders and Orion LF's. Idk if I'd go Teebird if I was picking one driver mold, you need something with more turn to carve more lines

I do this all the time when I travel for work. Invaders and Orion LF's. Idk if I'd go Teebird if I was picking one driver mold, you need something with more turn to carve more lines

true. i bag a teebird and an eagle, i would go eagle for one driver

I'll definitely be curious to see if the straight-ness of the Teebird ends up limiting me and wanting the capability of an s-turn. In the field I'm working on throwing big hyzers and anhyzers with my lighter Teebirds. For curved lines I'm trying flex shots with my most heavy overstable Teebird, anhyzer outta my hand then flexing over for a hyzer finish.

If you're only carrying one driver, then Teebird vs s-turn disc (FD, Stag, Leo3, etc) mostly comes down to whether line-shaping or managing wind is more important. When I lived in Nebraska, I never would have been able to play without a straight-to-fade disc in the bag because most rounds were played in 15-20 MPH winds. Now I play a lot in the woods, so being able to throw lazer beam hyzerflips is more important. Just go with whichever stability fits the needs of your local courses.

There's no better way to getting into a disc golf flow than running with exactly two discs -- a driver and a putter -- one in the left hand and one in the right hand -- through an empty course. You don't have to think nothing at all, you travel light and fast, and you can stay completely in the moment. -- Such were some of my best feeling rounds.

There's no better way to getting into a disc golf flow than running with exactly two discs -- a driver and a putter -- one in the left hand and one in the right hand -- through an empty course. You don't have to think nothing at all, you travel light and fast, and you can stay completely in the moment. -- Such were some of my best feeling rounds.

Heck yes! I love that feeling of being "in the zone" and experiencing a bit of that athletic flow state. I'm continually surprised at my mental focus during running rounds. I've made some putts that I would normally miss badly. For some reason, I've never lost a disc during a running round either. Something about it makes me throw drives a little more conservatively, and this with a bit more "accuracy".

Latest posts